Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I've always been a fan of the iMac. I LOVE the new thinner Optical-less design...and since my G5 iMac has gone to that big motherboard in the sky....it's time to update. :)

However, I am torn.

Should I get one of the new iMacs? Or a cinema display combined with a Mac mini or Mac laptop? Since the new iMacs won't be available until next month, I have time to ponder this question.

I mainly edit hd videos and photos, with some animation and design work. As much as i love my ipad for when i travel, I definitely want the big 27" display at home to do this stuff on.

I definitely am lusting after one of the new iMacs....but am thinking that an apple cinema display with the Mac mini or laptop might be a better future proofing set up....especially since the iMacs are becoming less upgradable with the thinner design.

Hoping they announce new cinema displays in the new thinner design soon.

Also...how long do you think before Apple comes out with a retina display iMac or cinema display? Rumor had it thats what was taking the iMac update so long....that they were working on it. Maybe they couldn't make the deadline, so they released these new iMacs as a stop gap, and plan to release a retina iMac next year? I dunno. I know it's pointless to play the waiting game...but if Apple plans to release retina iMacs this Spring, I'd be willing to wait.

Thoughts?

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
The retina display in the MacBook Pros is apparently pushing those devices pretty hard, people have complained that even scrolling sometimes stutters.

Powering a display as big as the iMac's is going to take some horsepower for a smooth experience, so Apple really needs Haswell chipsets, which are expected out by June, but Apple rarely rushes these things out.

Even then the cost will be large, so if they do turn up next year you will be paying a premium.

I'm also considering the iMac vs Mac mini purchase. If I did go Mac mini I would just use a crappy display I have around until the Cinema Display was updated to be thinner and with more ports.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Really don't get the love for Apple displays. The iMac always felt like a stubborn tie-in sale for the display. Now the Mini is faster than the imacs, we can finally ditch the awfull display design choices by Apple.
Get real, get an Eizo or a NEC and stop worrying about TB display updates. A NEC or Eizo still works well after 5 years. I never got that far with an Apple screen without some serious snow problem, pink tint problem, yellow backlight problem or something else.

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
I've always been a fan of the iMac. I LOVE the new thinner Optical-less design...

Thoughts?

And I just LOVE the new non-upgradable RAM design!
And I bet we would LOVE the no-GPU design even more. The i3770 has a perfectly good built-in GPU that would be enough for "most iMac users"! And that would allow to shave another 1/8" off the beautiful hump in the back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.