Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessejai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Kaiserslautern, DE
Bought my MacBook in 2008 for college and just haven't gotten a new one yet, there has been nothing wrong with it until now. I was playing WoW and the game disconnected, but when I tried to log back on it said to check my Internet configuration. Nothing had changed so I tried again same result. Tried to use safari and it was exceedingly slow and I didn't wait for the page to come up I just tried to restart the computer. Now it will not load anything on the Internet. In network preferences it will say I am connected to my network and have an ip assigned using wifi and Ethernet cable, but it will say I am not connected to the Internet in the browser and anything that needs Internet to work won't work. I have an adware and virus scanner and I don't come up with anything. I tried to just start new and reinstall the OS but when I put the disk in it doesn't go to the boot menu it just gets stuck at the load screen. All other devices on my network can access the Internet, and it is the same no matter where I try to use the Internet. Can anyone help? I can't really afford a new Mac at the moment and I don't want a new one since all other processes work on this one besides the Internet.

Thanks much.

Last edited:

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
You said you're using the Macbook for school, is it a school's internet connection? And do you have access to the modem/router? Because if so, a restart of those 2 may fix your problem.

Raynarayan

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Hi,

I wanted to know that did you buy MacBook for using it in school? I think you r school should be providing the internet connection. Make a query from your school whether they are providing internet connection. Also make sure all the connectivity with the system is done properly.

Jessejai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Kaiserslautern, DE
I am no longer in school, it has worked fine for the past 4 years on all Internet connections until about 4 months ago. All my other devices work on the Internet connections I use on a regular basis it is just the MacBook that started to not work. It is any Internet connection I try to use.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
First test your hardware with a ping test in terminal:

Start with your computer first:
ping -c4 127.0.0.1
If this fails you have something wrong with your hardware - eg a network card problem. You don't need the Airport on or an ethernet cable connected for this (but it doesn't matter if they are).

Try your router, (which might be 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or something different).
ping -c4 192.168.1.1
Try it on both ethernet and wireless. If it works you'll see the 4 ping packets returned in a few msecs. If it doesn't work it will say 'network host unavailable' or similar, and it might mean your Airport card is bust or your ethernet cable is bad or not plugged in.

Then try an ip address somewhere out on the internet, e.g.
ping -c4 8.8.4.4 (which is the ip address of Googles public DNS servers, usually up and running reliably). If that works then your computer network hardware is working properly, but your settings or your ISP might be at fault. If it doesn't you are not getting out of your router, so look at that for correct settings to connect to your ISP.

A simpler but less informative alternative to the above is to run Network Diagnostics and look at the coloured buttons to see which are red and which are green. Maybe post a screen shot here.

Jessejai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Kaiserslautern, DE
Just for ***** and giggles I connected it to my iPhone via Bluetooth and tried to connect to the Internet that way, can send and receive all packets when I ping anywhere but I still cannot access the Internet.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
You might not like the answer

I had the same problem of losing internet connection. My advice is to do as many Time Machine backups as you can and possibly use another hard drive for a full clone using Time Machine of your current system. The problem I believe turned out to be heat and age killing the logic board. A few months after I got the dreaded black screen / no chime problem, tried every fix such as resetting SMC, pram, RAM, etc., no luck. Fortunately I had access to a second Mac that could run my system from an external hard drive enclosure so I could still do my work. Meanwhile I sent my mid 2007 Macbook in to depot repair after an appointment at the Genius Bar, and a week later all was repaired for about $300 USD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.