Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a tablet for use in a classroom, and I need to be able to mirror the tablet screen onto the classroom projection screen. I know this task could be accomplished with an iPad + AppleTV and was wondering if Android has anything similar. I need true mirroring and not just select items from my media library.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a tablet for use in a classroom, and I need to be able to mirror the tablet screen onto the classroom projection screen. I know this task could be accomplished with an iPad + AppleTV and was wondering if Android has anything similar. I need true mirroring and not just select items from my media library.

Not exactly. Some have DLNA and HTC has some hokey Media Link HD, but AirPlay is really seamless and reliable.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You can stream to ATV but I don't think you can mirror, might be wrong as I don't have ATV but I know streaming is possible. So depending on what you are doing you might be able to pull that off.

There is always mirroring via hdmi or whatever connection might be available on the tablet. That's only an option if you are in cords reach though.

I'll be curious to see what other people are using to accomplish this. Do some google searching and I'll be willing to test out anything you find. I have a buddy with ATV and I can use my playstation as DLNA to mirror (I use it for streaming content now).

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Is the AppleTV an absolute must for wireless mirroring? I can borrow my husband's HP TouchPad, which is running Ice Cream Sandwich, to test out the programs y'all mentioned. Roku doesn't support mirroring, does it?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is the AppleTV an absolute must for wireless mirroring? I can borrow my husband's HP TouchPad, which is running Ice Cream Sandwich, to test out the programs y'all mentioned. Roku doesn't support mirroring, does it?

Honestly I've never had a need since my tablet has HDMI out. I'm going to try to find an app for you, I'm sure its possible somehow. However I can tell you its going to be extremely difficult (impossible) to find something as simple and easy as an iOS device + ATV....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Airsync is part of DoubleTwist media player and works ok for streaming music and video, but you can't stream apps or your desktop like AirPlay supporting devices do.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Airsync is part of DoubleTwist media player and works ok for streaming music and video, but you can't stream apps or your desktop like AirPlay supporting devices do.

You are talking mirroring the devices screen right? Thats what the OP and I am searching for. I keep reading things that its possible but I'm not finding much. For streaming wirelessly I use my PS3 which works great. Thing I like about it is there is no set up so if I goto a friends house with a movie on an android device I just need to be on the same wifi and it works.

I'm surprised there isnt anything very simple because I can mirror my PC to an Android device using Splashtop HD which works over cellular and wifi, and it works very well too. They thought a lot about the touch interface....

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Honestly I've never had a need since my tablet has HDMI out.

There is value in a wireless app, if only because of flexibility and ease of use.

For example: A couple of our faculty have used an iPad + AppleTV combo when giving lectures - having an HDMI cable dragging around would be less than optimal in that situation.

If there's a reliable way to replace that iPad with an Android device, it would open up the tech to some other faculty who own Android phones and tablets.

BTW the PlayTo app appears to be more of a DLNA-style application - it supports AirPlay, but likely only does so in limited fashion. However there's a try-before-you-buy version of the app available, so you can try it out to see if it does what you want.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
All the apps on android marketplace are DNLA based.

Sadly nothing can replicate the full 'airplay' experience on android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.