Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxoftea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Yesterday, my iPod Touch slip from my hand while I was in bed at night and it hit the metallic bars supporting the mattress.

It now has a dent at the bottom near the headphone jack and a few black chips along the right white part of the iPod Touch. The backside is completely unharmed. Luckily, the bedspread covered the bars or else it would damage the iPod more...

I bought my red iPod Touch 5g 64gigs from the retail store on October 13, and today is the 14th day, the last day, to return or exchange my product.

What's the best course of action here? Should I return and pay the 15% fee (that's 60 dollars there) and get another red one? or should I exchange it? I'm not familiar with the exchanging process... either way, I'm going to look like a fool for returning/exchanging for the same product, albeit, a scratchless one.

2s5xgr7.jpg

34i3a6w.jpg

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
You can't return a damaged iPod and expect to exchange for another one. The only way they'd let you return it, is if it came to you that way. But since you're the one who damaged it, you're out of luck. Sorry! Maybe you can put a clear case on it, so the dent won't show?

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
well, unlike the last two people to comment, you could do it another way...

I mean i bought an ipod touch 4g over the summer, (knowing i was going to return it after a month, long story, i went somewhere). And it had noticable scratches. However they still let me return it. And only because you have a few, you could always say that it came that way. you wont be hurting apple, trust me i dont think they care about 1 iPod. I wud not listen to the comments above mine

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan

I mean i bought an ipod touch 4g over the summer, (knowing i was going to return it after a month, long story, i went somewhere). And it had noticable scratches. However they still let me return it. And only because you have a few, you could always say that it came that way. you wont be hurting apple, trust me i dont think they care about 1 iPod. I wud not listen to the comments above mine

Sorry, but it's totally dishonest, whether it's "just one iPod" or anything else. You can listen to whomever you want, but I would hope the lie would bother you. That's all I have to say. It's your conscience.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
I have to agree with the first two, take better care of your stuff and you won't have this issue. 14 days be christ, it's your own fault.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA

What goes around comes around.

Do unto others as you want done to you.

Simple things we are taught as kids. One iPod turns into thousands of them when other people want to lie and steal

TomCat

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2000
What dent?

If you squint your eyes so it is out of focus like your picture, no one will notice, not even you. Nice job getting the carpet in focus; looks like the tufts there are uneven; you may want to return that carpet, too. :)

C'mon, suck it up. You are giving Romney's 47% a bad name. Besides, the NEW iPod is only a year away. If all customers were like you Apple stock would be at $330 instead of $660.

(stupidest post yet on these forums)

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
- if you want to be honest and tell them this is your fault, then you won't be able to return/exchange it, or you'll have to pay something,...
- you can lie to them and tell them this is not your fault, then they'll probably will exchange it for you and you'll have a new one. they probably won't ask you a lot of questions or doubt that this is your fault, i'm pretty sure they will exchange it for you for free.

it's just up to you :D

what i would do is: well, i don't know :p

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Karma has a way of catching up with you.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Karma has a way of catching up with you.

Listen guys, listen. I am proably in the top 1% of all apples buyers for my family. I have a 27 inch imac 2001 fully loaded, a 2009 24inch, and a 2010 21inch. I also have 5+ iPod touches (2nd or 3rd gen), 2 ipad 2's . 4 iphone 4s's and 1 5. Not to mention 100s of dollars of spp store and itunes purchases, and accessories. If i buy an ipod touch, and then return it, i dont think it would affect them, much less care.

Think about it, if they upset their customers, i wont buy from them again.

so donyt worry. dont even say it came that way just say you want to return it. If they say what about the dent say it came that way. Remember, apple would rather help their customers, rather then upsetting a future customer.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Listen guys, listen. I am proably in the top 1% of all apples buyers for my family. I have a 27 inch imac 2001 fully loaded, a 2009 24inch, and a 2010 21inch. I also have 5+ iPod touches (2nd or 3rd gen), 2 ipad 2's . 4 iphone 4s's and 1 5. Not to mention 100s of dollars of spp store and itunes purchases, and accessories. If i buy an ipod touch, and then return it, i dont think it would affect them, much less care.

Make sure and tell them this when you go to return it, and see what their response is.

I have to say, Apple owners are the most anal when it comes to dings and scratches on their gadgets.

I like wear and tear. I think it's beautiful. It shows the device has been used, and if it has been used, that means its good. People pay a lot of money to have Fender custom shop replicate fake wear on their new stratocasters. People have fake distressing and fading on their denim. A lot of great photography is on subjects that are worn out.

Live with it dude.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA

so donyt worry. dont even say it came that way just say you want to return it. If they say what about the dent say it came that way. Remember, apple would rather help their customers, rather then upsetting a future customer.

First of all, cool. Awesome. Congrats! You bought a few apple products. Think they care? No. You are the same as a new customer to apple. Everyone is just a customer. No more, no less. Doesn't matter if you have a few computers. I have three HP computers in my house, I guess they should fix my touchpad cause it has a scratch on it.

Think about this, if you return this and day it came that way, you will lying and hurting your company.

You will try to rationalize however you can, but it doesn't matter. We can tell you to do the right thing and it won't change your mind. What if you get a new one and it happens again? You gonna return it? How many times do you have to mess up and have someone else fix it before you figure out you're at fault? This is such a waste of a thread. You want support for lying? You won't get it here.

ticktock20

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
If it was paid for with a credit card, then check the card's terms. Many will cover damage / theft for 90 days after the purchase.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
First of all, cool. Awesome. Congrats! You bought a few apple products. Think they care? No. You are the same as a new customer to apple. Everyone is just a customer. No more, no less. Doesn't matter if you have a few computers. I have three HP computers in my house, I guess they should fix my touchpad cause it has a scratch on it.

Think about this, if you return this and day it came that way, you will lying and hurting your company.

You will try to rationalize however you can, but it doesn't matter. We can tell you to do the right thing and it won't change your mind. What if you get a new one and it happens again? You gonna return it? How many times do you have to mess up and have someone else fix it before you figure out you're at fault? This is such a waste of a thread. You want support for lying? You won't get it here.

first of all my company?, i am could not care less about what happens to apple. I just like their products.

Second of all he spent HIS hard earned cash to buy a very expenisve product.
He is obviously not happy about the dents and scratches.

lets ask ourselves a question. After buying a very expenisve product, and then barely harming it, due to it being fragile, shud he have to pay to fix it?

if you answered yes i commend you for your goodness, but that isnt how the world works.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
first of all my company?, i am could not care less about what happens to apple. I just like their products.

lets ask ourselves a question. After buying a very expenisve product, and then barely harming it, due to it being fragile, shud he have to pay to fix it?

if you answered yes i commend you for your goodness, but that isnt how the world works.

Sorry I thought you were the op, anyway it doesn't matter if he is unhappy about the dents/scratches. Guess who caused them, HIM. He needs to take the fall for this, not Apple. It doesn't matter if they make billions, its just the point. He would be taking advantage of them. They are having QC problems already, nevermind people breaking things and returning them like it wasn't their fault

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
pictures aren't clear but it doesn't seem like big damages. As long as the screen is still fine and the game still runs flawlessly.

Just live with it. It called responsibility for your own action. Or sell it online for people who dunt care as much.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008

How do we know for fact he spent HIS "hard earned" money and it wasnt mommy and/or daddy's money?

these things happen...why should Apple have to pay the price for accidental/user damage? maybe put padding on your mattress frame?

it doesnt matter how big apple is or how less you care about them, it doesnt make sense for them to bend over backwards for obvious careless act.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

LMAO. A few computers and a few iPods/iPads/iPhones over several years and you think you're in the 'top 1%' of Apple's buyers? I know individuals who buy more than that in several months, let alone entire companies.

He spent his 'hard earned cash' for a new and perfect product, and that's exactly what he received. I don't see any complaints about it coming out of the box with the damage.

Would you expect Apple to replace your iPhone 5 for free if you ran over it with your car one hour after you bought it?

Why don't you answer that question yourself: do you get others to pay for your own mistakes?

You sound really naïve. Paying for your own mistakes is in fact how the world works. If you think others are responsible for your carelessness, then you don't know as much about the world as you think you do.

jroz

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
You'd probably ding a new one too. Get a case and deal with it. :rolleyes:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
My husband dropped mine and it now has the minutest scratch on the screen. Our responsibility not a company. What will you do if you scratch the replacement? Take that back too?
I wouldn't even have entertained the thought and anyway I'm getting plenty of mileage calling him a clutz this week!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.