Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I'm on a family plan with unlimited text for $30 a month.

Everyone has iPhones except my dad.

Individual plan between me and my dad would cost more and no text plan would end up bein $30 anyway.

Any suggestions?

I have AT&T

Last edited:

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
iMessage only work on Apple 's product. I know everyone have iOS , but maybe your friend using Android and you still need little bit message plan. AT&T charged $0.20 / sms without plan .

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
As most people have removed their messaging plans and used other third part apps like : kakaotalk, whatsapp .
I would suggest having the lowest messaging rate an and force ur contacts to use 3rd parties

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
keep the unlimited text plan and lower ur minute plan. having the AT&T unlimited text plan comes with unlimited mobile to ANY mobile calling. so if you have lots of friends that you talk to on a carrier other then AT&T, the unlimited text is a good idea

giancarlo007

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Have you looked into Mobile Share? It's data driven and you gave unlimited texts and calls. I switched to a 4Gb plan to be shared on three devices for about the same price Of my very limited family plan.

Last edited:

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Have you looked into Mobil Share? It's data driven and you gave unlimited texts and calls. I switched to a 4Gb plan to be shared on three devices for about the same price Of my very limited family plan.

We have unlimited data. I personally easily go over 5GB if I don't switch to wifi lol

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Another riveting thread by MyiPhone7!

Do you ever research anything or does a question enter your head which makes your fingers tap away on the keyboard here to MR? Just wondering.

From your question it seems like you already know the answer unless you're just special and feel like spending more money for an individual plan OR paying $30 for nothing. Sorry but seeing your threads really makes me fear for the future of this planet.

Last edited:

giancarlo007

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
I personally easily go over 5GB if I don't switch to wifi lol
That's a lot!, what do you to use that much? I really need to learn how to use more data! I'm not a light user and this month we are at 14 of 31 days and the total usage is 471 MB (413 are mine)

Darthpnoy88

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
LA
I recommend Viber if your gonna message your Android friends its a terrific SMS app. I don't frankly need SMS plan anymore.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
That's a lot!, what do you to use that much? I really need to learn how to use more data! I'm not a light user and this month we are at 14 of 31 days and the total usage is 471 MB (413 are mine)

I watch videos on YouTube. I browse a lot on the web. Stream music all the time. Watch movies on crackle. Stream CNBC tv live.

If I don't use wifi then I get throttled really quickly into the month. It's gotten worse with LTE.

----------

I recommend Viber if your gonna message your Android friends its a terrific SMS app. I don't frankly need SMS plan anymore.

It actually a blackberry

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Keep your text messaging plan. AT&T could block iMessage in the future and more importantly Apple may phase it out with a new iOS update like they did with street view imaging, transit directions, iWeb, mobile me, optical drives, etc.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Keep your text messaging plan. AT&T could block iMessage in the future and more importantly Apple may phase it out with a new iOS update like they did with street view imaging, transit directions, iWeb, mobile me, optical drives, etc.

Well street view transit etc were on google maps which they phased out to not rely on google. iMessage is a key ios feature by Apple so I doubt it will be phased out. Besides, if at&t could have done something about iMessage they would have disabled it already.. Otherwise they wouldn't have phased out all the tiered texting plans

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010

Thanks. You're right never know when it may come in handy

Darthpnoy88

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
LA

If that ever happens a lot of us would be in uproar, cmon if ATT did that then they should've phased out BBM a long time ago. Expect plenty of angry Apple folks to leave in droves if that occurs.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Didn't AT&T remove all their SMS plans except unlimited right after apple announced iMessage? So unless every single person who ever sends you a text is using an iPhone and always in an area where they have a 3G or higher data connection, you will need that unlimited SMS plan or pay 20 cents per message. Just keep it.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Why would you pay for a texting program on a smartphone ?

You can just get an Free Texting App and you get unlimited texting and you dont have to pay for it.

I use pinger.

Or like you said if your talking to somebody on another iphone you can use the imessage app.

But when your talking to somebody who is not in imessage you can use a free texting app.

You dont have to pay for a plan on the phone at all.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm on a family plan with unlimited text for $30 a month.

Everyone has iPhones except my dad.

Individual plan between me and my dad would cost more and no text plan would end up bein $30 anyway.

Any suggestions?

I have AT&T

I used to just eat received texts. Then take their phone number, plug it into AOL/BeeJive and reply... Continue the exchange with it. AOL messenger supports sms.

All your contacts eventually start txting you that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.