Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I want a tablet that I can play "full on" PC games with.

None of this Metro game stuff, that has never interested me.

Ive seen some of the windows 8 tablets can play full versions of PC games like Call of Duty MW3 or Diablo 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukn3wp3Dr-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUndd8DMDzU

But how does the iPad 4th gen stack up against these new Windows 8 Tablets that just came out.

Now that Apple has doubled the processing and graphic power of their Tablet is it capable of playing full versions of the games.

Or is it still stuck with watered down version of the same game under the name of the game ?

I know that apple has always been behind in gaming.

Maybe microsoft will just come out on top of gaming like it always has.

What are your thoughts ?

When will apple's iPad be able to do what the new windows 8 tablets can do ?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Ummmm, you realize the iPad can only run games from the iTunes Store, right?

Thats the problem.

When is apple going to allow full versions of the games in the app store to run them on the tablet.

Is the new iPad 4th gen now strong enough to do what the new Windows 8 Tablets can do ?

The new tablets with i7 ivy bridge ect...

"This Aint ANGRY BIRDS SON"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wsDxdPi-4

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think you are confusing Apple with another company.

You can only run iPad apps on an iPad. Period. That's not going to change.

If you want that kind of flexibility, you need to look elsewhere.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I think you are confusing Apple with another company.

You can only run iPad apps on an iPad. Period. That's not going to change.

If you want that kind of flexibility, you need to look elsewhere.

Then why can i get games like grand theft auto, which is a full version of the game. A quite old game.

I guess I dont understand apples decision to not want to offer these kind of games on their tablet.

It is because they are not capable of running them yet ?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Then why can i get games like grand theft auto, which is a full version of the game. A quite old game.

I guess I dont understand apples decision to not want to offer these kind of games on their tablet.

It's because the developer that created that game created a version that is compatible with iOS. It's all up to them.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

The game developer has to make the decision to offer the game on the iOS platform. Some developers do, some don't.

By offering a more capable platform, apple may be encouraging some developers to do that. But it's not Apples decision to make. It's up to the game developer.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
The game seems to be changing now that Windows 8 is out.

Since windows 8 is going to be on everything.

The same windows on your Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Phone ect.

I hope apple has something in store for us. :confused:

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I want a tablet that I can play "full on" PC games with.

None of this Metro game stuff, that has never interested me.

Ive seen some of the windows 8 tablets can play full versions of PC games like Call of Duty MW3 or Diablo 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukn3wp3Dr-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUndd8DMDzU

But how does the iPad 4th gen stack up against these new Windows 8 Tablets that just came out.

Now that Apple has doubled the processing and graphic power of their Tablet is it capable of playing full versions of the games.

Or is it still stuck with watered down version of the same game under the name of the game ?

I know that apple has always been behind in gaming.

Maybe microsoft will just come out on top of gaming like it always has.

What are your thoughts ?

When will apple's iPad be able to do what the new windows 8 tablets can do ?
you do realize that Windows Surface comes in two varieties: Pro (running a formidable intel i5) and RT (tablet specs with an ARM processor). it's the former which gives microsoft it's bragging rights, but the latter just isn't as capable. of course full version of PC games will run on PC hardware.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The game seems to be changing now that Windows 8 is out.

Since windows 8 is going to be on everything.

The same windows on your Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Phone ect.

I hope apple has something in store for us. :confused:

you do realize that not everything will be windows 8? a lot of tablets are going to be confusing to consumers because they won't have windows 8 they will have the tablet version windows RT which won't allow them to run all the desktop apps. I think you are hoping you can install windows on an iPad or you just don't understand how the appstore works.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Those windows 8 devices aren't really tablets, they are more of a slate pc. Just like those old windows 7 slate pc. They have actual laptop specs on them, such as intel core i5 and intel hd 3000 graphic card.

If you want to compare windows 8 tablets with the ipad 4, it would be more fair to compare the surface tablet. The surface tablet will definitely not be able to run d3 or mw3, it only runs games similar to those offered in apple store maybe not as good as the ipad4.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Yes for gaming iam mostly only interested in the higher end tablets with full functionality.

I did hear that you could put windows 8 on an iPad but that does sound silly.

I just enjoy well put together light products that have great specs.

If apples tech works better then anything else offered I would do it :p

The RT versions are for the lower end tablets which are good for browsing.

But you can get high end tablets now with full windows 8 that can play full games.

Really using tablets to their fullest capacity.

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
The problem with Windows 8 is not all Windows 8 is the same and it's confusing to consumers. You can't run regular apps on the RT tablets -- just like you can't run OS X apps on IOS tablets.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
The problem with Windows 8 is not all Windows 8 is the same and it's confusing to consumers. You can't run regular apps on the RT tablets -- just like you can't run OS X apps on IOS tablets.

Yes but you can get a really high speced out tablet and put Windows 8 on it.

Kinda like putting OS X in an iPad.

kyo27

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Do any games even take advantage of the A6 thats in the iPhone 5 yet? If not, Real Racing 3 which is supposed to be out before the end of the year should be a good indicator of what type of graphics the A6 and A6X are capable of.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Full versions of those games probably take upwards 10 GB+ on a PC. Require at least 4GB of RAM and a dedicated high end graphics card with 1-2 GB of video RAM.

I am not sure why you think iPad would have the specs to run those kind of games, let alone with paltry storage options of 16 GB, 32 GB, or 64 GB.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Full versions of those games probably take upwards 10 GB+ on a PC. Require at least 4GB of RAM and a dedicated high end graphics card with 1-2 GB of video RAM.

I am not sure why you think iPad would have the specs to run those kind of games, let alone with paltry storage options of 16 GB, 32 GB, or 64 GB.

Well that is a Golden Apple of Discord.

IE: The Crux of the Problem.

With the new surface you have the option of removable SD cards for extra storage.

The Competition is stepping up their game.

Maybe its time for Apple to spend some of the Cash they have banked to upgrade their tech.

The tablets that are out now for Windows 8 dont have those kind of specs you listed that would be equal to a desktop PC. So you cant run the games on max graphics on the tablets yet. You have to turn down the texture and other graphics settings some until it becomes playable.

But still that is quite an astonishing accomplishment.

That all the legacy games for the PC can now be ran on a mobile device like a tablet.

----------

Never.

Starcraft on a tablet? What's the point? Will you play with your finger?

Starcraft on a 10 inch device? Good luck with that.

Some games like Civ V have been updated to function better with touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUu_-YOths

This is the way things are headed.

Tablets are the new thing. They have to figure out how high end gaming will work on these devices.

Since they are getting strong enough to actually play the games its time to tap into that market.

Time to move past Temple Run.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Well that is a Golden Apple of Discord.

IE: The Crux of the Problem.

With the new surface you have the option of removable SD cards for extra storage.

The Competition is stepping up their game.

Maybe its time for Apple to spend some of the Cash they have banked to upgrade their tech.

The tablets that are out now for Windows 8 dont have those kind of specs you listed that would be equal to a desktop PC. So you cant run the games on max graphics on the tablets yet. You have to turn down the texture and other graphics settings some until it becomes playable.

But still that is quite an astonishing accomplishment.

That all the legacy games for the PC can now be ran on a mobile device like a tablet.

The new Surface that can run those games is using a 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and has 4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory. Those are laptop specs. The $499 version that can be ordered now can't run them as it has Windows 8 RT.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
the thing I don't get is.... you want full PC games on a tablet device which doesn't have full PC peripherals like a keyboard + mouse (just touch + gyro)..... sure it may play okay for some games, but I doubt it's the most efficient way to play, and won't be usable at all for other games

//and if you want to use a BT keyboard + mouse, then you might as well have gotten a laptop! :p

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
the thing I don't get is.... you want full PC games on a tablet device which doesn't have full PC peripherals like a keyboard + mouse (just touch + gyro)..... sure it may play okay for some games, but I doubt it's the most efficient way to play, and won't be usable at all for other games

//and if you want to use a BT keyboard + mouse, then you might as well have gotten a laptop! :p

First world problems in 2012,

How will awesome games work on my Touchsreen Device :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.