Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reflekshun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
As a bootcamp user, 1TB is too small to split partitions between OSX and Windows, however 3TB will not work with Bootcamp. So people like me are left with no great options, as these are the only build to order options apple is advertising!

Does anyone know based on rumors, deduction or bits of info flying around if the hybrid drive will still work with 3rd party HDDs / SSDs? if thats the case, I would gladly pay for a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD and be satisfied. I know this is a long shot considering no one has got one, but I'm planning to build a studio and I don't know where else to ask about this!

Appreciate any help!

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Apple is limiting the configuration option to keep it simple. Maybe they thought 1 TB would be enough for the average consumer and offer 3 TB for power users. I myself regret the fact that they will not offer 4 TB drives (out in the wild for some time).

You can always use an external drive for Bootcamp.

reflekshun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Yeroon: I would love to do that, but unfortunately bootcamp does not work with external drives!

iMarvin: I will consider that option, it will introduce more noise but running my projects on a separate disk to my system will have some benefits. Thanks for that idea.

reflekshun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
eagandale: Thanks for the heads up, but after reading through that thread, the solution is patchy and seems to not work for the most part.

A thunderbolt SSD drive is also too costly a solution for me (looking for a 1TB partition for windows).

Here's hoping that the internal SSD and HDD can be replaced manually in the new 27" imac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.