Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
So I have read a ton and still wonder...

Does anyone have firsthand experience with swapping out the original HD in a mini with an SSD (or installing a second drive) and then having to bring the computer in at a later date for some unrelated problem...

-did you leave the SSD in... what happened with your applecare?
etc.......

THANKS!

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I've never needed to have my mini repaired but in the 2011 and I presume 2012 models it only takes 10-15 mins max to swap out hard drives. Just keep your stock hard drive (with the original OS installed) and put it back in if there is a problem. That's also a good way to verify that your issue is Apple hardware related and not your third party SSD causing it.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
My speaker stopped working. Months after a successful ssd swap. I pulled the ssd and put the oem drive back inside my mini. I told the apple store the speaker stopped working. They put in a new speaker.

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
My speaker stopped working. Months after a successful ssd swap. I pulled the ssd and put the oem drive back inside my mini. I told the apple store the speaker stopped working. They put in a new speaker.
Well that pretty much confirms that opening up the mac mini doesn't void the warranty then. Guess i'll be keeping the oem drive untouched :)

rezinous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Interesting. Will probably keep a spare version of OS X on the 1TB just incase then on a separate partition

sean barry

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Belding, MI
This is sorta on topic:confused: If you install an after market SSD, can you then download a free version of the OS from Apple for the SSD?

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Interesting. Will probably keep a spare version of OS X on the 1TB just incase then on a separate partition
I had a thought. Instead of keeping the 1TB aside just as a spare OS X (kind of a waste dont cha think?) we nuke it and use it as a normal external/internal non-OS drive.

Say, the speaker blows or a USB port goes bad, 'something' happens, but the computer can still run. Can't we just pop our SSD out, back up the 1tb and then reload OS X back on the 1TB via internet recovery and send it into shop?

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Say, the speaker blows or a USB port goes bad, 'something' happens, but the computer can still run. Can't we just pop our SSD out, back up the 1tb and then reload OS X back on the 1TB via internet recovery and send it into shop?

You could do that, but it sounds like a lot of effort. I'd probably just repartition the 1TB after initially setting it up, leaving the existing out-of-the-box install on a small partition, and creating a second partition for whatever you want. You'll never touch the first partition in normal use, but it'll be bootable and ready to go in the event of AppleCare. Then you only need to remove the SSD to cover your tracks ahead of the repair. ;)

rezinous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
I had a thought. Instead of keeping the 1TB aside just as a spare OS X (kind of a waste dont cha think?) we nuke it and use it as a normal external/internal non-OS drive.

Probably partitioning the 1TB 10/90. 10% for a backup version of OS X for recovery purposes & for AppleCare. The other 90% for normal usage. Still deciding if I'll put the 1TB internally or externally as a USB3 drive.

Having 50GB put aside with a backup of OS X for peace of mind works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.