Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:32 AM   #26
gtgrad95
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
Tmobile does not have LTE yet. In the meantime they are transitioning from the HSPA+ 1700Mhz (non iPhone compatible) to 1900Mhz (iPhone friendly) bands. HSPA+ is not 4G LTE, but it is fast enough to get great 3G speeds.
Correct, but they do plan to rollout LTE in 2013. Just trying to plan ahead.
gtgrad95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:14 PM   #27
mandark100
macrumors member

Buy unlocked AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5 in US?

Okay, so Apple has not launched their unlocked iPhone 5 officially. But people in this forum are saying that you can get unlocked AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5 at Apple stores. So my question is if I do so, will my new iPhone 5 work on LTE network in India. If not, it won't be huge issue for me and I can live with it. But will it even work on 3G in India?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular

I wonder if the tech support in New Delhi will know.
Cebuano1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:40 AM   #29
mandark100
macrumors member

Verizon unlocked iPhone 5

Hey folks, as the unlocked iPhone 5 isn't launched officially, some are suggesting that you can buy 'Device Only' Verizon iPhone 5, which comes unlocked out of box, even if you are in contract with them. If I do so will it work on any carrier in India or it works only with AT&T/Sprint in USA?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:51 AM   #30
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandark100 View Post
Hey folks, as the unlocked iPhone 5 isn't launched officially, some are suggesting that you can buy 'Device Only' Verizon iPhone 5, which comes unlocked out of box, even if you are in contract with them. If I do so will it work on any carrier in India or it works only with AT&T/Sprint in USA?
I'm not familiar with the carriers in India however it appears that Verizon iPhone 5s do work in some non-US markets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
It's worth noting that though the Verizon iPhone 5 will work on AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G network for voice and data, the phone will not work on AT&T's LTE data network. It will work on a number of international LTE networks. Apple's LTE information page details the bands that each specific model of iPhone 5 supports.
I tried to find details of the phone being sold in India on Apple's online store (to compare it to those of the Verizon phone) but didn't see the option to change the country (of the store page) to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky24 View Post
I have not met this problem and have no idea about this, but i think If you do so it will work only with AT&T/Sprint in USA
Thanks for your input.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:56 AM   #31
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky24 View Post
I have not met this problem and have no idea about this, but i think If you do so it will work only with AT&T/Sprint in USA
If you have no idea, why did you respond...and your answer is wrong.

The Verizon IPhone 5 is unlocked for worldwide GSM use as long as you have a nano sim.
Jtludwig is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:10 AM   #32
Alag28
macrumors 6502

just grab one of the unlocking codes from ebay (5$) and viola
Alag28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:37 PM   #33
nitemare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alag28 View Post
just grab one of the unlocking codes from ebay (5$) and viola
the unlocks u can buy on on ebay such as unlock fusion, only works on AT&T iPhones. VZW iPhones come with the GSM side already unlocked
nitemare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:43 PM   #34
Alag28
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemare View Post
the unlocks u can buy on on ebay such as unlock fusion, only works on AT&T iPhones. VZW iPhones come with the GSM side already unlocked
i didnt know that about the VZW phones so u can put a AT&T chip and it will work?.....there charging 116$ on ebay for an unlocking code for sprints AND it must be a clean esn..insane
Alag28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:46 PM   #35
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alag28 View Post
i didnt know that about the VZW phones so u can put a AT&T chip and it will work?.....there charging 116$ on ebay for an unlocking code for sprints AND it must be a clean esn..insane
Sprints iphone 5 when unlocked can only be used with GSM sims outside the US. Its only unlocked for international GSM use.
It wont accept or work with an AT&T sim in the US or a Tmobile USA sim.
The Verizon i5 comes unlocked out of the box for GSM use even within the US.
You dont need an imei unlock or anything, even if its still under contract the verzion i5 is fully GSM unlocked.
Applejuiced is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:10 AM   #36
BklynKid
macrumors 65816

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T model) on launch day, straight from Apple. I don't understand these people saying Apple doesn't sell unlocked iPhones. They do, they just don't advertise it.

Go into an Apple store, buy it at full price (without a subsidy and thus without a carrier contract) and voila -- it'll be unlocked.
BklynKid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:17 AM   #37
simercool
macrumors member

Quote:
Okay, so Apple has not launched their unlocked iPhone 5 officially. But people in this forum are saying that you can get unlocked AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5 at Apple stores. So my question is if I do so, will my new iPhone 5 work on LTE network in India. If not, it won't be huge issue for me and I can live with it. But will it even work on 3G in India?
I bought my AT&T iPhone 5 from USA and got it unlocked from ebay.. Its working fine here in India and i am using vodafone 3G with no problem(No LTE here)..
simercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:39 AM   #38
mandark100
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simercool View Post
I bought my AT&T iPhone 5 from USA and got it unlocked from ebay.. Its working fine here in India and i am using vodafone 3G with no problem(No LTE here)..
It's a great news for me dude...........So now I can buy it from USA and unlock it in India............ But last quest for you: did you buy it on contract or at full price?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:11 PM   #39
simercool
macrumors member

Quote:
It's a great news for me dude...........So now I can buy it from USA and unlock it in India............ But last quest for you: did you buy it on contract or at full price?
I bought it with contract and after 1 month i will break it and pay the fees after which Phone cost price will be approx same as unlocked phone price.
simercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:34 PM   #40
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynKid View Post
I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T model) on launch day, straight from Apple. I don't understand these people saying Apple doesn't sell unlocked iPhones. They do, they just don't advertise it.

Go into an Apple store, buy it at full price (without a subsidy and thus without a carrier contract) and voila -- it'll be unlocked.
I heard some Apple stores wont do that any more.
Unless you have an account with a carrier they will only sell them on contract.
Not saying all stores but some because of scalping have resorted to that because of high demand and low stock received.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:47 PM   #41
BklynKid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I heard some Apple stores wont do that any more.
Unless you have an account with a carrier they will only sell them on contract.
Not saying all stores but some because of scalping have resorted to that because of high demand and low stock received.
Ah I see. I got mine on launch day.
BklynKid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:35 AM   #42
mandark100
macrumors member

Is there anyone who knows about any stocks remaining at Apple Store, Christiana Mall, Newark, DE? I am asking about full price iPhone 5

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone