Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I have both a 2009 and a 2010 minis as HTPC, and I had to buy a HDMI Detective in order to connect with my Rotel AV receiver because the sound output resetting to internal speakers every time there was a change in the HDMI selection on the TV.... A known issue of the minis, related to HDCPs management and HDMI restrictive implementation.

Has anybody idea if there are improvementsin the audio capabilities in the new mini?

There is also a problem with audio minijack. If connected, the audio output is directed to it and you can not make changes by software...

Is it still the same way?

Thank you if you can share your experiences with the audio settings...

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I've had that problem with my 2011 mini and my Vizio HDTV. I use the other HDMI inputs on the TV every day, and when I switch back to the mini the sound output had changed. However, I believe 10.8.2 fixed that. I haven't had that happen for a few weeks, about the time 10.8.2 came out.

Anyone else notice this is now fixed with 10.8.2?

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I didn´t change the OS, still running Snow Leopard and Lion....

I have to confirm that Mountain Lion has solved those problems....

Can anybody be sure about it?

reidspice

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
anyone?

i'm really curious about this, as well... i'm planning to use the mini i ordered last week as a htpc and stuff like this makes me feel like i should run windows on the damned thing. ugh.

somewhat related: i'm also having issues playing back 5.1 surround flac files at 96k through an hdmi cable. i know that optical/spdif doesn't have enough bandwidth to do this but hdmi should be able to handle it. unfortunately, the signal from the macbook pro shows up in the receiver as stereo @ 44.1. i've been reading some things about how the GPU drivers for the mac don't typically support this because, since it's audio through the hdmi output, it's actually a GPU function and not the audio system.

anyone have any experience with this? i'm testing it right now with a macbook pro retina but am sure hoping i can get it to work with the mini... there are some really sweet 5.1 remasters out there (pink floyd, beck, crystal method, mm&w, etc.).

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
As far as I know, there is not a single problems with the HD audio in a mac mini under Windows 7 (and probably W8).

There is not a hardware issue, it's a software implementation issue and HDMI requirements issue... under OS X.

In my macmini, I've got sometimes the DolbyDigital signal light on, under Plex.

Maybe is your Music Player program. What are you actually using?
Have you tried VLC for music playing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.