Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsquared397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Hey guys. Many of you probably live in the path of Hurricane Sandy. From the predictions I have been seeing, it is hard to believe that Apple can still deliver all of those iPads on Friday. Now my mini is preparing for shipping, but being on Long Island it seems less likely that Friday will be the day. Is there a certain policy to this? Does FedEx handle weather in a certain way. Also, might apple acknowledge those who were promised a Friday delivery date if sandy delays shipment?

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I'm just as excited to get a new Apple product when I order one.

But dude, it's a hurricane, I think there are bigger problems to worry about - like are my damn Halloween decorations going to survive the wind gusts?

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I'm in WNY. Yeah my delivery may get delayed, but I'll survive... at the mercy of Sandy. heh

Seriously people, unless you're going to lose your job or life by a delayed package, there are bigger and more serious things at play here. Try to be less self-serving.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
The companies are going to do what is safe for their employees. If you think the hurricane isn't a big deal, so over to the Outer Banks and plop yourself in a tent on the beach. Call it an extreme vacation. I'll sign for your package when you can't return.

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
NJ
If Sandy is as bad or worse then Irene then I won't have power come Friday so my mini can sit at the local hub where it will be safe as I won't have much use for it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I guess it would cost a fortune to move power and cable and phone lines underground but I've been saying for years that we should do it already. How much money is spent rebuilding the grid every time a storm comes and knocks down power lines. At least start slow, do it little by little and get it done some day.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
I guess it would cost a fortune to move power and cable and phone lines underground but I've been saying for years that we should do it already. How much money is spent rebuilding the grid every time a storm comes and knocks down power lines. At least start slow, do it little by little and get it done some day.

And it would provide a lot of jobs for people, as well as strengthening the infrastructure. I mean, damn, there was a day this past summer in which a big line of thunderstorms went through the northeast corridor and all we heard about was how power was out for 3-5 days in many areas. That's just pathetic.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
And it would provide a lot of jobs for people, as well as strengthening the infrastructure. I mean, damn, there was a day this past summer in which a big line of thunderstorms went through the northeast corridor and all we heard about was how power was out for 3-5 days in many areas. That's just pathetic.

Agreed. I'm in Massachusetts and people were without power for days. You'd think that with the amount of trees we have over here, they'd already have put the power lines underground, but no, they still get repaired and placed above ground just waiting for the next storm to knock them down again. It's beyond annoying.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

Absolutely. I know we are totally derailing this thread but rebuilding the entire grid is what the USA needs. Start from new power plants and work out from there. Everything that can go underground, should.

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
NJ
Absolutely. I know we are totally derailing this thread but rebuilding the entire grid is what the USA needs. Start from new power plants and work out from there. Everything that can go underground, should.

HAH! I'd love to see the size of the rate increase to afford rebuilding the infrastructure to that level. Not even getting into the whole utility right of way and easements that would go into laying all that wiring underground. It's a lot more complicated then most people think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
HAH! I'd love to see the size of the rate increase to afford rebuilding the infrastructure to that level. Not even getting into the whole utility right of way and easements that would go into laying all that wiring underground. It's a lot more complicated then most people think.

Of course it would be expensive and compicated. Since when do things like that stop us from getting stuff done. This is America son! Man up!!!

Chewbaca

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
There will likely be some delays but no biggy.

And, since the death toll is rising, I hope everyone is taking the proper precautions.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Of course it would be expensive and compicated. Since when do things like that stop us from getting stuff done. This is America son! Man up!!!

Apparently in the Northeast if it's too challenging, they simply dont do it. Thus the power goes out any time the wind blows.

cyrways

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
Apparently in the Northeast if it's too challenging, they simply dont do it. Thus the power goes out any time the wind blows.

Lol, the city I live in has all under ground utilities, but unfortunately everywhere around us doesn't and we don't have our own power station (i don't believe.)

but considering how most local governments and our national government are hemorrhaging at the seems because of debt don't expect it anytime soon.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The companies are going to do what is safe for their employees. If you think the hurricane isn't a big deal, so over to the Outer Banks and plop yourself in a tent on the beach. Call it an extreme vacation. I'll sign for your package when you can't return.

FedEx already has a note up on their tracking homepage to the effect they'll do what's safe for their teams, safeguard delayed shipments and etc. If the storm brings down enough of the power grid then no one's going to be especially concerned about their incoming gear for awhile. It's more about having adequate supply of drinking water, some nonperishable food, staying sheltered, getting some help with removing that tree from your roof, your neighbor's roof, your car or the road outside your house without getting electrocuted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.