Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, it was revealed that French designer Philippe Starck was working with Dutch shipbuilder Feadship on a new yacht for the family of Steve Jobs. The yacht had been mentioned in Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs as a project he had been working on since 2009, but the ship was not completed before his death last year.

jobs_yacht.jpg
Dutch site One More Thing now reports [Google translation] that the ship, christened "Venus", has officially launched, with Jobs' widow Laurene Powell Jobs and their three children participating in the event.

The aluminum-hulled ship is said to be 70-80 meters in length and features seven 27-inch iMacs lined up in the wheelhouse to help run the controls.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Yacht 'Venus' Launched in the Netherlands

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Awful. It's typical Starck nonsense. Really surprised that he was picked by Jobs. As a designer he's the anthesis of Ives.

bruinselmann

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Germany
Is that a mirroring surface at the ship's bow? Why would you do that?

EDIT:
The more I look at it, the more I think it might be made of glass – which must look very cool from the inside. I remember reading in Steve's biography about him having a special kind of glass designed that could provide actual structural support to the ship. Maybe they used that for the bow as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.