Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder if it's gonna be the same with the 4. With interlacing on a decent amount of displays on iPhone 5 and the misery of endlessly swapping the 3 to get an iPad without multiple hues, I wouldn't be looking forward to that process all over again with the 4. Hopefully it'll be ironed out at that point

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
if there aint no dead pixels, there aint no reason to return the gatdang ipad :cool:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
My 3 has a speck of dust caught in the screen in the bottom left but I won't be caught dead swapping it out since my panel is one hue, slightly offset with color profiles jailbreak tweak, and fairly uniform.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
If it comes with "Backlight bleed" gate it'll make me not getting it and sticking with my 3rd gen easier to swallow lol

cyrways

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I was never aware of screen issues with the 3? :confused: I used mine since launch never noticing a thing?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Because I jailbroke my iPhones, I always wanted a perfect screen so I wouldn't have to swap later on and lose my jailbreak. With an iPad, I don't jailbreak so I welcome a dead pixel or two so I can swap it out 11 months later. Lol.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Because I jailbroke my iPhones, I always wanted a perfect screen so I wouldn't have to swap later on and lose my jailbreak. With an iPad, I don't jailbreak so I welcome a dead pixel or two so I can swap it out 11 months later. Lol.

You should a jailbroken iPad is great!

Feeding it sd cards through camera connection kit for videos on xbmc (while on a plane) is great.

But so are notification center toggles and a few other things

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I was never aware of screen issues with the 3? :confused: I used mine since launch never noticing a thing?
You'll find that "something out of nothing" problems are extremely common on this forum. Far beyond what you'd find anyone who has even a tenable grip on reality would discuss.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Nah, quality control on iPad 3 screens has got to be the worst I've seen in the history of apple selling things and being popular.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Nah, quality control on iPad 3 screens has got to be the worst I've seen in the history of apple selling things and being popular.

I agree. I went through ~9, and only one was a decent screen, but had a huge (1mm) chunk of dust. The one I have now still has yellow tinting to the top left corner, and side, but I decided to put up with it. If the 4's have perfect screens, I'm gonna be pissed.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
You'll find that "something out of nothing" problems are extremely common on this forum. Far beyond what you'd find anyone who has even a tenable grip on reality would discuss.

What a load of garbage. People spending this much money on a product deserve to have a screen that isn't multiple shades of yellow, or have tremendous amounts of light bleed. The problem here isn't the people that have legit issues and state them, it's the fanboys that stick their fingers in their ears and yell BLAH BLAH BLAH THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
My guess is it's gonna be just as much if not more of a crapshoot to get a good one.

/hugs his 3.

Staring at a bad screen is no good

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i was late to the game to get the iPad 3, i bought it on October 3. the first one had backlight bleeding, the exchange was perfect

i expect the quality control to be better with the iPad 4. it seems that as production went on, quality started to improve around August. i think there were a lot of lessons learned with the new screen

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Some people here look WAY closer than we do. It is comical how OCD it can get. I most be one lucky person as I have not had to return a single iPhone, iPad or iPod, ever!

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Some people here look WAY closer than we do. It is comical how OCD it can get. I most be one lucky person as I have not had to return a single iPhone, iPad or iPod, ever!

It's not OCD. It's called not being a sheep. For the price, you deserve the best Apple can deliver.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

Its even more comical that so many people don't know what OCD actually is.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009

This.

There are so many whiners on this forum that it's ridiculous. I can't think of any other place where there are so many nit-picking people.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Its even more comical that so many people don't know what OCD actually is.

You do not have to know what OCD is to be OCD. :p

To many these devices represent a very large amount of money and I guess I can not blame them for wanting them to be perfect in every way.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
You do not have to know what OCD is to be OCD. :p

To many these devices represent a very large amount of money and I guess I can not blame them for wanting them to be perfect in every way.

I was talking about you not knowing what OCD is when you said that those people were OCD. I guess it went right over your head.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
How many times it needs to be reminded that the "problems" you descirbing have nothing to do with QC, but the LCD technology itself and the way they attach the panel to iPad housing? Yes you can find better and worse units, but basically all of them have unifirmity/clouding issues to some extent. Basically it's impossible to get 100% flawless LCD in iPad. If you think otherwise, get one and I will prove you're wrong. Apple attach the screen to iPad using force, which makes uniformity problems. Another problem is the backlight itself, which is limited, because Apple is not backlighting the screen on every corners, but instead only one, which makes different hues/tones on the opposite corners of the screen.

People should stop whining about LCD in the iPad basically for two reasons:

1) It's pointless until Apple decides to change manufacturing process
- panels with more backlight LED diodes
- perfected method of attachn the screen to the housing without causing clouding issue
2) Most of the screen imperfections are really invisible in 90% of situations, unless you sit in the completely dark room, put completeley black wallpaper on the whole screen and adjust brightness to max. If you crave to hunt panel defects, you will find them on most of the units 100% guaranteed!

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
How many times it needs to be reminded that the "problems" you descirbing have nothing to do with QC, but the LCD technology itself and the way they attach the panel to iPad housing? Yes you can find better and worse units, but basically all of them have unifirmity/clouding issues to some extent. Basically it's impossible to get 100% flawless LCD in iPad. If you think otherwise, get one and I will prove you're wrong. Apple attach the screen to iPad using force, which makes uniformity problems. Another problem is the backlight itself, which is limited, because Apple is not backlighting the screen on every corners, but instead only one, which makes different hues/tones on the opposite corners of the screen.

- perfected method of attachn the screen to the housing without causing clouding issue
2) Most of the screen imperfections are really invisible in 90% of situations, unless you sit in the completely dark room, put completeley black wallpaper on the whole screen and adjust brightness to max. If you crave to hunt panel defects, you will find them on most of the units 100% guaranteed!

Slight backlight bleed is one thing, I don't even care about that. But since a good 90% of web pages are more white than not its annoying to see an obvious yellow shift towards a single corner, side, or both. And this is viewing straight on, not even talking color shifting at angles, which is acceptable.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

Yeah what you're saying is sound, but if you wanna hurl upon first booting up the iPad, for a device that is $499+, there is something wrong with that.

My current iPad has a speck of dust in it, is not 100% uniform but as close as I've seen, and I am holding onto it because there are significantly worse units out there and I've seen it first hand. One where a corner was hot pink and took up literally about a fifth of the screen.

And my iPad 2 had intense backlight bleed, but given that the panel looked good otherwise, I ignored it and it never became much of an issue. But with the 3, the screen issues were ugly, backlight bleed aside. Especially when you see two conflicting hues: green on half of the screen, pink on the other. No amount of Color Profile tweaking will iron that one out.

To each his own however.

Last edited:

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I wonder if it's gonna be the same with the 4. With interlacing on a decent amount of displays on iPhone 5 and the misery of endlessly swapping the 3 to get an iPad without multiple hues, I wouldn't be looking forward to that process all over again with the 4. Hopefully it'll be ironed out at that point

Maybe I got lucky but my iPhone 5's display is fine.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I thought OCD was Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but Siri tells me it's "out-of-cell delineation", whatever that means. Does that mean I should return my iPad 3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.