Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
I've read a few lines somewhere that this might be possible?

Any experts out there with info? It would be nice to be able to upgrade the SSD in the future when the prices drop.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
yeah, the ssd is removable and can be swap out for a larger capacity version. but this is an apple exclusive design for their laptop, which is very proprietary. so by next year model revision they will probably change the dimension of the contact socket a little bit to accommodate for any higher bandwidth controller. so even if next generation ssd drives were to be larger capacity and cheaper in cost, it will probably not fit in the previous generation model.

an owc ssd drives for the mac is still very expensive compared to regular 2.5" ssd drive of equivalent capacity. plus they uses a sandforce flash controller which is known to have flaky reliability.

and it makes me wonder, like when you upgrade from a 256gb ssd to a 512gb ssd which cost another $500 for the upgrade, you dont get to keep the 256gb drive, even though you pay another $500.
well then why don't you just buy the 256gb model, and then buy another 512gb extra drive as a spare parts, and you have two drives for the same cost, or just sell the smaller drive to recover some money.
or am i missing something here.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I think that Apples SSD was proprietary and OWC is the first to "clone" the format. I imagine we will see more options at a cheaper price point in the future.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It looks super easy in their intrstructional video, but how come every news media has excluded the option to upgrade the SSD?

I've read that people have been told by the Apple Geniuses that your warranty is void if you open your rMBP to upgrade anything. I guess that may be a reason.

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
yeah, the ssd is removable and can be swap out for a larger capacity version. but this is an apple exclusive design for their laptop, which is very proprietary. so by next year model revision they will probably change the dimension of the contact socket a little bit to accommodate for any higher bandwidth controller. so even if next generation ssd drives were to be larger capacity and cheaper in cost, it will probably not fit in the previous generation model.

an owc ssd drives for the mac is still very expensive compared to regular 2.5" ssd drive of equivalent capacity. plus they uses a sandforce flash controller which is known to have flaky reliability.

and it makes me wonder, like when you upgrade from a 256gb ssd to a 512gb ssd which cost another $500 for the upgrade, you dont get to keep the 256gb drive, even though you pay another $500.
well then why don't you just buy the 256gb model, and then buy another 512gb extra drive as a spare parts, and you have two drives for the same cost, or just sell the smaller drive to recover some money.
or am i missing something here.

I think MacBook pro uses Toshiba branded Sandforce controller. Does somebody how the performance of the drive is ?

4kusnik

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Is it possible to upgrade SSD on Retina 13"? Allegedly, compared to Retina 15" the 13" version is not SSD upgradable. Is it true?

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
By the way about this matter, I'm amazed OWC is the only company making compatible drives considering Apple started using those in 2010!
At this rate the prices are never going to go down...

Does anyone else think like me that there's a strongly enforced patent and some kind of arrangement between the 2 companies? Maybe even OWC being partly owned by Apple? Just asking...

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I've read that people have been told by the Apple Geniuses that your warranty is void if you open your rMBP to upgrade anything. I guess that may be a reason.

It would be an easy out for them given consideration the official Apple line is that there are no user upgradeable parts inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.