Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
77sunsetstrip
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Goodbye Android and good riddance!

I've had a Nexus 7 for a month and used it every day. It was initially fun to use. I really tried to like it. Now it's torture. I plan to set it on fire. Android is pathetic and primitive and the apps that I have used are laughable. Period.

I can't wait to receive my iPad mini.

Check the following link, all of which I agree with.

http://www.zdnet.com/ipad-mini-is-mo...re-7000006354/
77sunsetstrip is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Dolorian
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Good for you
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:41 PM   #3
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
All I needed to do is take one look at the author of that articles picture and know that he would side with apple even if it had the old a4 chip.
blackhand1001 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:42 PM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
I've had a Nexus 7 for a month and used it every day. It was initially fun to use. I really tried to like it. Now it's torture. I plan to set it on fire. Android is pathetic and primitive and the apps that I have used are laughable. Period.

I can't wait to receive my iPad mini.

Check the following link, all of which I agree with.

http://www.zdnet.com/ipad-mini-is-mo...re-7000006354/

Why post this in 'this section' of the forum when it obviously is only going to draw a flamewar, unless of course that was the entire point....
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:43 PM   #5
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Yeah the dude in that article is overbearing, I would get an iPad mini but I'll wait until the next one. I'm gonna sell my iPad 2 in the meantime.
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:45 PM   #6
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
All I needed to do is take one look at the author of that articles picture and know that he would side with apple even if it had the old a4 chip.
Sorry but that is just as inane as the original post.

You may disagree with his viewpoint, but to do so only by the way they look is very prejudiced.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:56 PM   #7
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Sorry but that is just as inane as the original post.

You may disagree with his viewpoint, but to do so only by the way they look is very prejudiced.
It has nothing to do with his physical body or face. It all has to do with how he dresses and presents himself things that people determine theirselves. That is all a matter of choice. I don't think it is wrong to judge people on these kind of aspects as it does in fact reflect their character.

Not to mention I have the read the authors other work and recognize him. I knew immediately that this would be an anti android piece of literature.
blackhand1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #8
77sunsetstrip
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
You can't deal with the fact that some people may hate Android because they really believe it's junk. It's only explainable as far as you are concerned if you assume that the person is prejudiced or suffering from a mental problem or is a total idiot. Well you are wrong. I used the Nexus 7 for a month, every day. I tried numerous apps. I wanted to like it. I got to know Android software really well. I found that Android stinks in comparison to iOS.
77sunsetstrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
You can't deal with the fact that some people may hate Android because they really believe it's junk. It's only explainable as far as you are concerned if you assume that the person is prejudiced or suffering from a mental problem or is a total idiot. Well you are wrong. I used the Nexus 7 for a month, every day. I tried numerous apps. I wanted to like it. I got to know Android software really well. I found that Android stinks in comparison to iOS.
Yet you have no comparisons or what you didn't like etc etc.

This is as much trolling as if I posted the same thread in the iPhone section and replaced Android with iOS. It has no other purpose then to crap on a product you don't like which is not the point of this section, just like people that frequent this section don't post threads like this on the iPhone section.

All you said is you didn't like the apps. What didn't you like about them? They are made by the same devs that make them for iOS. Or were you just here to throw a little (typical) temper tantrum?
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #10
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
I don't know if you're trolling or not, but I agree with you. I bought the Nexus 7 about 6 weeks ago and initially loved it, now it's become slow, even more jerky than it was new (scrolling was jerky out of the box) and the quality of the apps suck. They really do. And I can't even do a reinstallation of the OS as I'll lose everything from my tablet, as you have to unlock and root Android in order to get a decent backup system going. I can't be bothered fiddling with it any more in order to get it to perform adequately, so I'm going to sell it. Android seems to have a lot of apologists on here, I don't really understand why, it's not like you have to go with Apple if you don't get an Android- Windows 8 tablets are out now and people are giving them solid reviews (on that note, I really wish there was a way to try a Surface out here in Australia before buying one).

Personally, I'm probably just going to use my iPhone 5 until next January and then I'll see what the Surface Pro is like before I delve into the tablet world again.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
And I can't even do a reinstallation of the OS as I'll lose everything from my tablet, as you have to unlock and root Android in order to get a decent backup system going.
You should have tried this backup method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=29550640
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:43 PM   #12
77sunsetstrip
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Not trolling

No I'm not trolling.

I tried the Windows Lumia 900 at an AT&T store. Beautiful. Much smoother and silkier and more 21st century than 20th century primitive Android. But I've checked Windows phone apps and they are paltry for now. I wish Microsoft luck, because they are pushing in the right direction and giving it a really good try.

For those that haven't been yet, I recommend a trip to a Microsoft store. Microsoft has come a long way.

Incidentally, I have a Mac. Our household uses only Apple products, Macs, iPhones and iPads, because they are so good. So it's a sign of my lack of prejudice that I can say that I admire Microsoft's products. I just want quality products that work very well.
77sunsetstrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:18 PM   #13
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
I've had a Nexus 7 for a month and used it every day. It was initially fun to use. I really tried to like it. Now it's torture. I plan to set it on fire. Android is pathetic and primitive and the apps that I have used are laughable. Period.

I can't wait to receive my iPad mini.

Check the following link, all of which I agree with.

http://www.zdnet.com/ipad-mini-is-mo...re-7000006354/
You fail at the trolling.
IFRIT is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:21 PM   #14
flopticalcube
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
Is it too late to say "Cool story, bro"?
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
You can't deal with the fact that some people may hate Android because they really believe it's junk. It's only explainable as far as you are concerned if you assume that the person is prejudiced or suffering from a mental problem or is a total idiot. Well you are wrong. I used the Nexus 7 for a month, every day. I tried numerous apps. I wanted to like it. I got to know Android software really well. I found that Android stinks in comparison to iOS.
Its not junk. It just isnt for you and thats ok.

As for that article, he asked "if you were offered a Kindel, a N7 or a iPad mini for free, which would you choose"?
Even i would choose the iPad mini. Then id sell it and get a 32GB N7 and keep the profits.
Vegastouch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:47 PM   #16
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
Its not junk. It just isnt for you and thats ok.

As for that article, he asked "if you were offered a Kindel, a N7 or a iPad mini for free, which would you choose"?
Even i would choose the iPad mini. Then id sell it and get a 32GB N7 and keep the profits.
Yeah that was such an idiotic question. Gee, you are offering me three devices for free and I would not pick the most expensive one WHY? And somehow that proves the mini is better? Oh and I love the way the writer plays up every thing on the mini but ignores every positive about the Nexus. So Apple maps suck, (his words) so just use Google maps...oooooh but google maps are already on the Nexus 7 with its built in GPS! Oh, on the road with no wifi on your mini and want to use GPS...sorry.

And somehow Apple mail for iOS is better than the Gmail app? Sorry no it isn't. Oh and what about notification center, sorry Jelly Beans shutter BLOWS AWAY Apples lame attempt at notification center. Then he talks about lag and stability, utter BS saying the Nexus 7 is laggy or instable...how about how my iPhone likes to respring (not jailbroken) all the time since iOS 6 when opening an iMessage??

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple too, I have two Macs, two iPads an ipod touch and three Apple TV's but facts are facts, Jelly Bean is better than iOS right now IMHO and the Nexus 7 is far better than the iPad 2, which makes it far better than the iPad mini IMHO of course.

At the end of the day there are two strong factors, a personal like for a paticular OS and your investment in an ecosystem. I prefer OSX over Windows, and up until Jelly Bean I prefered iOS over Android. But that tables of turned for me, and I find Jelly Bean far better than iOS. as for ecosystem, I can live without my iTunes movies and shows on the go. I personally didn't by a 7 inch tablet to watch shows, but rather for music, GPS, books, magazines and several productivity apps. For that, the Nexus 7 is the better device, with the better OS at the better price.
__________________
Various Apple Products
marc11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:53 PM   #17
77sunsetstrip
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple too, I have two Macs, two iPads an ipod touch and three Apple TV's but facts are facts, Jelly Bean is better than iOS right now IMHO and the Nexus 7 is far better than the iPad 2, which makes it far better than the iPad mini IMHO of course.
I've got to tell you, I am genuinely surprised that you find "Jelly Bean is better than iOS right now." You and I are comparing Apple and Android and arriving at opposite conclusions. How can that be?

Can I ask you, do you use any RSS apps?
77sunsetstrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:20 PM   #18
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
I've got to tell you, I am genuinely surprised that you find "Jelly Bean is better than iOS right now." You and I are comparing Apple and Android and arriving at opposite conclusions. How can that be?

Can I ask you, do you use any RSS apps?
Greader is a very good RSS reader. There are tons of others this was the first result when I typed in RSS.

__________________
Macbook 2008
HP Dv7t - 2.53 ghz, 9600m GT, WSXGA+, 120gb ssd, 250 gb 7200rpm
Core i7 3770k, 8gb ram, 2x 120gb sdd raid0, 500gb hdd, GTX 460
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7

Last edited by blackhand1001; Oct 28, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
blackhand1001 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:25 PM   #19
77sunsetstrip
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
There are multiple RSS readers on Android. I have tried pretty much all of them. None of them are in the same league as the RSS readers on iOS. If you are not a regular RSS user, it's kinda difficult to explain. (I don't mean to be patronizing.)
77sunsetstrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:27 PM   #20
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
There are multiple RSS readers on Android. I have tried pretty much all of them. None of them are in the same league as the RSS readers on iOS. If you are not a regular RSS user, it's kinda difficult to explain. (I don't mean to be patronizing.)
What exactly do you mean by same league. What features are the android ones missing.
__________________
Macbook 2008
HP Dv7t - 2.53 ghz, 9600m GT, WSXGA+, 120gb ssd, 250 gb 7200rpm
Core i7 3770k, 8gb ram, 2x 120gb sdd raid0, 500gb hdd, GTX 460
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:28 PM   #21
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
I've got to tell you, I am genuinely surprised that you find "Jelly Bean is better than iOS right now." You and I are comparing Apple and Android and arriving at opposite conclusions. How can that be?

Can I ask you, do you use any RSS apps?
No I do not use RSS apps. We are different people, we see things differently. I like the flexability, multiple pages and widgets of Android a lot. I love being able to swipe left and right and seeing the weather, my inbox, my to do list and my cal without opening an app, not just pages and pages of icons, I want information, not deciding which app to open to get that information. I love being able to tap the recently used apps button and seeing windows of my recent apps, not icons. I love having folders in the dock. It just seems more fluid to me.

I think the key difference is that iOS is still very much single icon/app focused, where Android is workflow and information focused. Apple seems to like action, I want to see my email so I must open the email app, Android takes the approach of information, here is what is in your inbox, do you want to read it or move on to do something else.

We know that folders and notification center were a catch up after thought for Apple, much like task switching, and I expected Apple to improve on this, but they haven't. The double tapping of the home button to see a limited list of a few icons of "running" apps, just feels old and offers very little value over just clicking the icon from the page and opening it.
__________________
Various Apple Products
marc11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:35 PM   #22
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
I've had a Nexus 7 for a month and used it every day. It was initially fun to use. I really tried to like it. Now it's torture. I plan to set it on fire. Android is pathetic and primitive
Oh my, we certainly hear your position.

Perhaps with some luck, the act of burning it will make up for the torture you suffered.

Apple would never subject you to such a thing.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:42 AM   #23
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Is it too late to say "Cool story, bro"?
It's never too late for that!




Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
I've had a Nexus 7 for a month and used it every day. It was initially fun to use. I really tried to like it. Now it's torture. I plan to set it on fire. Android is pathetic and primitive and the apps that I have used are laughable. Period.

I can't wait to receive my iPad mini.

Check the following link, all of which I agree with.

http://www.zdnet.com/ipad-mini-is-mo...re-7000006354/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I don't know if you're trolling or not, but I agree with you. I bought the Nexus 7 about 6 weeks ago and initially loved it, now it's become slow, even more jerky than it was new (scrolling was jerky out of the box) and the quality of the apps suck. They really do. And I can't even do a reinstallation of the OS as I'll lose everything from my tablet, as you have to unlock and root Android in order to get a decent backup system going. I can't be bothered fiddling with it any more in order to get it to perform adequately, so I'm going to sell it. Android seems to have a lot of apologists on here, I don't really understand why, it's not like you have to go with Apple if you don't get an Android- Windows 8 tablets are out now and people are giving them solid reviews (on that note, I really wish there was a way to try a Surface out here in Australia before buying one).

Personally, I'm probably just going to use my iPhone 5 until next January and then I'll see what the Surface Pro is like before I delve into the tablet world again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3My4MHr51c


Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
You can't deal with the fact that some people may hate Android because they really believe it's junk. It's only explainable as far as you are concerned if you assume that the person is prejudiced or suffering from a mental problem or is a total idiot. Well you are wrong. I used the Nexus 7 for a month, every day. I tried numerous apps. I wanted to like it. I got to know Android software really well. I found that Android stinks in comparison to iOS.
HAHA yea say iOS sucks and is a 'toy OS' compared to Android and the iFanBoys man their battle stations. Speak against the you will suffer. That's the motto you know!

It's kinda like the G.I. theme song. Just replace G.I. Joe with iFanBoy and Cobra with Android and you gotta show!

iFanBoy is a codename for Apple's highly trained customers who are determined to defend the against Android an alternative OS to iOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnuGhuNZnFs

You gotta admit that is true. And the same could be said for FanDroids on Android forums.

Yoo Apple!
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:51 AM   #24
walie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
There are multiple RSS readers on Android. I have tried pretty much all of them. None of them are in the same league as the RSS readers on iOS. If you are not a regular RSS user, it's kinda difficult to explain. (I don't mean to be patronizing.)
I like GReader Pro on my GS3 waaaaaaaaay better than Reeder on my 3rd Gen ipad.
walie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:05 AM   #25
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sunsetstrip View Post
There are multiple RSS readers on Android. I have tried pretty much all of them. None of them are in the same league as the RSS readers on iOS. If you are not a regular RSS user, it's kinda difficult to explain. (I don't mean to be patronizing.)
I've been looking for a decent RSS reader that syncs with Google Reader for a while on my iPhone and I don't mind GReader on my Galaxy Nexus/Nexus 7. Care to share with us which RSS app is the one to beat GReader on iOS so I can give it a whirl?
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Nexus 7
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodbye iphone (4S), Hello Android spaceryder Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 24 Dec 18, 2013 12:21 PM
Nexus 4. Good first android device? dazed Buying Tips and Advice 18 Sep 18, 2013 06:21 PM
Good android phone to use? hunterheath33 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Aug 24, 2012 09:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC