Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a
 
tmanto02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
The BEST way to add flash storage to a MacBook Air!

Someone in another thread mentioned this. But I think you MacBook Air owners will be really interested in this awesome contraption! A simple way to add permanent storage to your MacBook Air.

Introducing Nifty!





http://theniftyminidrive.com

I'll be buying one for sure. Any card up to 60mb/s will work (i.e. sandisk ultra 64Gb)

Come on 128gb micro sd
__________________
iPhone 6 for on the go|iPad Air for on the couch|Mac mini for Plex Home Theatre
MacBook Pro w/ Retina display
for everything else
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Wow. Quite a clever integration I must say! However the price is kinda nifty!
Lukewarmwinner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
tmanto02
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
tmanto02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
Wow. Quite a clever integration I must say! However the price is kinda nifty!
Yeah no doubt it cost 5 cents to make however I think it's an brilliant little solution and it's chump change to support an awesome Kickstarter project.
__________________
iPhone 6 for on the go|iPad Air for on the couch|Mac mini for Plex Home Theatre
MacBook Pro w/ Retina display
for everything else
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
Yeah no doubt it cost 5 cents to make however I think it's an brilliant little solution and it's chump change to support an awesome Kickstarter project.
Definitely! I've been looking into buying a SD card for extra memory, and this really offers great integration. The SD micro cards (as Sandisks) feels quite expensive! And 35$ added to the price of a card ends up being a pricey option.. But a nice one that is!
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:51 PM   #5
J&JPolangin
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Japan...at the waters edge...
That looks good but it is more expensive and seems like it may be hard to remove if/when necessary?

I'll just use my micro 32Gb USB flash drive...
__________________
2011 21" iMac, AEBS, 2009 2.0Ghz nVidia 9400M WB 4GB RAM & 64Gb SSD, 2011 13" MBP w/ 512Gb SSD/8Gb RAM, 2013 11.6" MBA & iPad3 64gb 4G
PC's: X6, H60, 12Gb RAM, 3x1Tb HDD, 128Gb SSD
J&JPolangin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:44 PM   #6
TheRichboy247
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Shut up and take my money!
__________________
I LOVE APPLE! MBA 2012 1.8GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128 SSD. iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
TheRichboy247 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:01 AM   #7
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
There's already a long-running thread on this going back to the Nifty's inception:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ighlight=nifty
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
But as another poster wrote in the thread; why not just use a normal SD Card?
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:27 AM   #9
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
But as another poster wrote in the thread; why not just use a normal SD Card?
Not flush. Nifty gives flush fitting, semi-permanently-installed storage.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Not flush. Nifty gives flush fitting, semi-permanently-installed storage.
Not sure I understand the difference, but is it because a normal SD card will stick out?
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:25 AM   #11
tmanto02
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
tmanto02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
Not sure I understand the difference, but is it because a normal SD card will stick out?
yes
__________________
iPhone 6 for on the go|iPad Air for on the couch|Mac mini for Plex Home Theatre
MacBook Pro w/ Retina display
for everything else
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:48 AM   #12
zhandri
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany
it's perfect for some downloads and stuff that just sits on the SSD and doesn't get used that much. perfect!
zhandri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:03 AM   #13
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
yes
Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's really a nice invention, but the cost is over the top for me.

Just gonna use Dropbox instead
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:55 AM   #14
intz2nu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ah this is nice! I never seen this before. My question is does any of you know how to remove it? Does it come with some kind of paper-clip like metal tangs that can precisely clip onto it and pull it clean out?
intz2nu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by intz2nu View Post
Ah this is nice! I never seen this before. My question is does any of you know how to remove it? Does it come with some kind of paper-clip like metal tangs that can precisely clip onto it and pull it clean out?
If you read closely the mention a twizzer needed for removal (included)
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:42 AM   #16
MattZani
macrumors 68020
 
MattZani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Weymouth, UK
An extremely elegant solution, and $100 for removable, expandable storage is a very good deal IMO. Would be ideal for keeping an Aperture or Lightroom Library on with settings if you used more than one machine.
__________________
Matthew Dear Photography
Automotive & Documentary Photographer
MattZani is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:17 PM   #17
tmanto02
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
tmanto02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
and great for a time machine backup of your most important files on the go
__________________
iPhone 6 for on the go|iPad Air for on the couch|Mac mini for Plex Home Theatre
MacBook Pro w/ Retina display
for everything else
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:21 PM   #18
KylePowers
macrumors 68000
 
KylePowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's really a nice invention, but the cost is over the top for me.

Just gonna use Dropbox instead
Don't be confused. Dropbox still takes up space on your SSD (and doesn't add space for that matter). But yes, you can selectively sync folders/files and exclude them (and thus only have them in the cloud), but that'd mean you'd always require an internet connection for access.

Don't get me wrong, I would tattoo Dropbox across my forehead if I could, but it's not exactly comparable to having an extra 64GB always accessible.

//I have ~25GB of Dropbox, which I placed inside my 50GB of Box storage... double syncing!
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:39 AM   #19
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Don't be confused. Dropbox still takes up space on your SSD (and doesn't add space for that matter). But yes, you can selectively sync folders/files and exclude them (and thus only have them in the cloud), but that'd mean you'd always require an internet connection for access.

Don't get me wrong, I would tattoo Dropbox across my forehead if I could, but it's not exactly comparable to having an extra 64GB always accessible.

//I have ~25GB of Dropbox, which I placed inside my 50GB of Box storage... double syncing!
Oh, yeah of course. But I think it's ridiculous that the adapter costs 35$, when a micro sd card costs about the same..
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:30 AM   #20
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.
filmbuff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.
Indeed. Problem is, they are the only ones making such a solution.. Unless a normal SD card won't bother..
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:08 AM   #22
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.
Not really by donations - the people who funded it get one (or more) depending on how much they gave.

The raw materials are the least important part of bringing a product to market.

Apple sells cables and adaptors (in far greater volume) for similar prices. I don't see a problem with the amount they're charging for a unique product with more limited appeal.
__________________
nMP 6-core, D500, 32 GB, 1 TB rMBP 13" '13 2.4 gHz, 256 GB, 8GB iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Silver iPhone 5 64GB iPad Air 128
NewbieCanada is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:29 AM   #23
javisan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieCanada View Post
Not really by donations - the people who funded it get one (or more) depending on how much they gave.

The raw materials are the least important part of bringing a product to market.

Apple sells cables and adaptors (in far greater volume) for similar prices. I don't see a problem with the amount they're charging for a unique product with more limited appeal.
Excellent point. Let's be fair for every player in the game. These guys had the initiative to do this and pulled it off. Should Apple or another company had made this, they would sell it at the same outrageous price until competitors came along. Let's support the new players instead of keeping rich the usual suspects.

Go to an Apple Store to see any iPhone/iPad Cable or similar simple accessory selling from $19 - $49 for what cost them $1 or less at their mass production partners in China. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

These guys are charging a Premium because they can..... just like Apple. Until someone else comes along and makes a similar product. You can buy it at that price if you see the value in it or you can chose not buy it... Decisions we make with all purchases in general.
__________________
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 2 16GB 3G, iPad 3 16GB Wifi, Mac Mini (Mid 2010), MacBook Air (i7, 8GB, 256GB - Mid 2012), Apple TV (2nd Generation), Apple TV (3rd Generation)
javisan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:18 PM   #24
orangezorki
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I've got to say that this is an awesome idea - brilliantly simple. The lack of the SD card reader is pretty much the only regret that I have with ordering the 11"

David
orangezorki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 PM   #25
n2deep
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Well I just bought one. I think it's a great idea!!!!
n2deep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1 - Causes MBA to freeze JesseP. MacBook Air 2 Oct 30, 2013 03:11 AM
MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1 ratboy90 MacBook Air 19 Oct 21, 2013 09:28 PM
Apple Releases MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 41 Jun 25, 2013 06:45 PM
MacBook Air's PCIe-Based Flash Storage Approaches 800 MB/s Read and Write MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 115 Jun 14, 2013 07:34 PM
(Mid 2012) MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0 and OWC flash ColdCase MacBook Air 3 May 17, 2013 12:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC