Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2002
AUS-Brisbane-QLD
Hi I am new to this forum and to Mac computers as I have decided to leave the PC and go on to Mac. I have researched a bit but I don't know all the Mac jargin.

I have come down to two types of models but I don't know which one I should get. I want to do movies and put them on DVD ROM discs and I'm also doing sound sampling.

Out of the New i-Mac or the standard Power Mac which one should I get?

I mean I have enough money for i-Mac basically but I don't know if I should get it. Maybe I should get the Power Mac later when I have the money.

Is it worth waiting to get the Power Mac (Standard) instead?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If your going to do video editing then I'd say wait and get the PM. Those dual 867's will perform much better than the single 800 in the iMac.
Also you can put more memory in the PM than in the iMac which is good if you doing video work, you're gonna want a lot of RAM, and then there's the PCI slots on the PM for any audio/video expansion cards you might want to add, which you couldn't with the iMac.

rickets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2002
AUS-Brisbane-QLD
Originally posted by edesignuk
If your going to do video editing then I'd say wait and get the PM. Those dual 867's will perform much better than the single 800 in the iMac.
Also you can put more memory in the PM than in the iMac which is good if you doing video work, you're gonna want a lot of RAM, and then there's the PCI slots on the PM for any audio/video expansion cards you might want to add, which you couldn't with the iMac.

Thanks much appreciated I think I'll definately get the Power Mac instead. The i-Mac looks cool but looks are not everything.:cool:

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Re: Which one should I get?

Originally posted by rickets
I have come down to two types of models but I don't know which one I should get. I want to do movies and put them on DVD ROM discs and I'm also doing sound sampling.

The superdrive (DVD-burner) in Macs (and most other PCs) does not support DVD-ROM, but DVD-R(W). DVD-R discs can be used to store movies in MPEG-2, much like a Hollywood DVD, or computer data. DVD-ROM is an old standard, abandoned by Apple when the SuperDrive came along (Jan. 2000).

Just to clear up... :)

As for your question. If you're going to use the machine for serious audio work, I would recommend the Power Mac, because of the PCI slots. If you're only going to use MIDI, an iMac would be sufficent.
As to wheter or not to hold of... iMac updates and eMac updates are rumores for a MWSF rollout. When we'll see new PowerMac is uncertain at this point.
If I were shopping for a new iMac now, i would try to find the best rebates, or wait till January to see what's coming then.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Re: Which one should I get?

Originally posted by crassusad44

The superdrive (DVD-burner) in Macs (and most other PCs) does not support DVD-ROM, but DVD-R(W). DVD-R discs can be used to store movies in MPEG-2, much like a Hollywood DVD, or computer data. DVD-ROM is an old standard, abandoned by Apple when the SuperDrive came along (Jan. 2000).

Just to clear up... :)

As for your question. If you're going to use the machine for serious audio work, I would recommend the Power Mac, because of the PCI slots. If you're only going to use MIDI, an iMac would be sufficent.
As to wheter or not to hold of... iMac updates and eMac updates are rumores for a MWSF rollout. When we'll see new PowerMac is uncertain at this point.
If I were shopping for a new iMac now, i would try to find the best rebates, or wait till January to see what's coming then.

The superdrive in my PowerMac fully support DVD-ROM, I've written loads of them. Containing photo's, files, music - whatever. Go PowerMac all the way. I'd be worried about the 'single component' issue, like what if the screen went? You have SO MUCH MORE CHOICE with a PowerMac over an iMac, and a longer life too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.