Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ortemis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
This Iphone was jailbroken and used before by my brother's friend. I cut my AT&T Sim card to fit it in this Iphone 4s's tray. I inserted and waited until it brings me back to the lock-screen and says "Activation Required". It then told me to choose a wifi and so i did. Next screen shows "Activating Your Iphone",

then it shows

-Sim Not Valid-
"Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card. "

What should i do now??

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This Iphone was jailbroken and used before by my brother's friend. I cut my AT&T Sim card to fit it in this Iphone 4s's tray. I inserted and waited until it brings me back to the lock-screen and says "Activation Required". It then told me to choose a wifi and so i did. Next screen shows "Activating Your Iphone",

then it shows

-Sim Not Valid-
"Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card. "

What should i do now??

Was it an AT&T iphone?
Sounds like its locked but if its not supporting your AT&T sim it might be locked to some other network.
Remember, jailbreaking is not unlocking.
2 different things.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Agreed, check for carrier lock
Many phones can be IMEI unlocked by selling carrier or grey market vendor

If it is an AT&T phone or it is unlocked, you may not have cut down the sim correctly.
Just go to AT&T and get a micro-sim, that will solve that part of this.

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
It's definitely not locked to AT&T since it shows "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier" on the activation step.

Use any carrier checker and then factory unlock it!

As simple as that.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It's definitely not locked to AT&T since it shows "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier" on the activation step.

Use any carrier checker and then factory unlock it!

As simple as that.

Not as simple as that.

Your reply makes no sense (at least to me).
You first say it's not locked to AT&T.
Then your next recommendation is to get it factory unlocked.

Contradiction !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.