Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Erm, how about ZERO?? The 3GS has already received 4 major updates since it debuted in 2009, from iPhone OS 3 to iOS 6 this year, which is already pretty amazing considering most Android phones don't even get updates after 1 year or so. It already has a lot of features on iOS 6, and it's hardware is already showing signs of age, so it's impossible, yes IMPOSSIBLE, that Apple would update it to iOS 7.

Cheers!

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
At this point, there's no real need to even put iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, let alone a 3GS. You're not really missing anything.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
yeah im surprised the 3gs still lasted on only 256mb ram. The original iPhone got killed after like 2 updates lol and the iPhone 3G just got quit on on iOS 4

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
At this point, there's no real need to even put iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, let alone a 3GS. You're not really missing anything.

I just updated my sisters 3GS to iOS6. She was still on iOS4.

She only complained after Facebook stopped working saying she needed to be running a later OS. :p

Now she has iMessage, Passbook, Facebook integration, Twitter etc.

Its still a decent upgrade for 3gs. She said it feels like she has a brand new phone.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
you can still buy them new in the UK, so i think that they may get ios7, but only just..

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
i'd be surprised if they upgraded it anymore. consider the OG ipad didn't even get ios 6 and it essentially has the same hardware as the iphone 4. it seems like once apple stops selling, they stop supporting.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
How much more updates of iOS will the 3GS be able to handle?
Thanks,
iPod Subsystem

Only Apple can say.

It was out of ordinary and unexpected for it to get third major update, iOS6.

Apple doesn't want to support forever. It may get more, but don't hold your breath.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
i'd be surprised if they upgraded it anymore. consider the OG ipad didn't even get ios 6 and it essentially has the same hardware as the iphone 4. it seems like once apple stops selling, they stop supporting.

Not with the iPhone.

The iPhone 3G got updates for a year (or close enough) after it was discontinued.

I expect that will continue with the 3GS and beyond.

----------

You can't?

Some of the networks still have stock left.

You can also get the iPhone 4 and 4S in the storage capacities that have been discontinued.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
You can't?

dude you live in the same place as me haha. You walking down Reading Highstreet and ask in phone shops for a 3GS, they will be more than happy to sell you one on an overpriced contract, or for 300quid ish unlocked ha

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
dude you live in the same place as me haha. You walking down Reading Highstreet and ask in phone shops for a 3GS, they will be more than happy to sell you one on an overpriced contract, or for 300quid ish unlocked ha

Fair enough, Phones4U on Broad Street would be more than happy to rip people off like that I suppose :p

Apple don't sell them though.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada

Are you kidding? I doubt they're even worth 250 DOLLARS here.

But no. Maybe minor updates, eg 6.1, 6.2, whatever but no way will it get iOS 7. 7 will probably already be pretty trimmed down on the 4, come to think of it, and I'm iffy whether the iPod touch 4 or iPad 2 will get it. Probably more likely since they're still selling them brand new.

kevinbomb123

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Erm, how about ZERO?? The 3GS has already received 4 major updates since it debuted in 2009, from iPhone OS 3 to iOS 6 this year, which is already pretty amazing considering most Android phones don't even get updates after 1 year or so. It already has a lot of features on iOS 6, and it's hardware is already showing signs of age, so it's impossible, yes IMPOSSIBLE, that Apple would update it to iOS 7.

Cheers!

Pretty much wrong on all counts,you assume a ios upgrade uses much much more power from the devices hardware,while it does its no where near what you assume,apple will simply most likely not support the 3gs anymore to try to make you upgrade.:D

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Its not so much that it can't but its just going to suck so bad that there's no point.

If you want iOS 7...just go out and get an upgrade.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
iPhone 3GS shouldn't have even gotten iOS5 IMO, my 3GS couldn't run more than 3 apps before bogging down massively on iOS5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.