Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Dream.Finder
macrumors member

iPhone 5 (iTunes/iMac Problems)??

Hello all,

So, I got a snazzy new iPhone 5 for my birthday yesterday and upon connecting my phone to my computer, I rudely became aware that my new phone isn't compatible with my current version of iTunes. I tried to update it, but it is already all up to date. I manually downloaded iTunes 10.7 from Apple, but alas, ANOTHER PROBLEM!!

... I have an iMac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and apparently I can only download the new iTunes with a newer OS... 10.6.8 or higher! So... I go and try to download it (Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.) but it says buy from App Store, which older computers do not have!!

How do I solve this issue so I can sync my new iPhone with my computer? This is really inconvenient!! And very annoying... I'd like to be able to *actually* use my phone...

Thanks,
Dream.Finder
Dream.Finder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:25 AM   #2
sundog925
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream.Finder View Post
Hello all,

So, I got a snazzy new iPhone 5 for my birthday yesterday and upon connecting my phone to my computer, I rudely became aware that my new phone isn't compatible with my current version of iTunes. I tried to update it, but it is already all up to date. I manually downloaded iTunes 10.7 from Apple, but alas, ANOTHER PROBLEM!!

... I have an iMac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and apparently I can only download the new iTunes with a newer OS... 10.6.8 or higher! So... I go and try to download it (Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.) but it says buy from App Store, which older computers do not have!!

How do I solve this issue so I can sync my new iPhone with my computer? This is really inconvenient!! And very annoying... I'd like to be able to *actually* use my phone...

Thanks,
Dream.Finder
You need to update to at least snow leopard to get the app store, to be able to get mountain lion.

just upgrade. no use in using antiquated software with a new phone.
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Dream.Finder
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
You need to update to at least snow leopard to get the app store, to be able to get mountain lion.

just upgrade. no use in using antiquated software with a new phone.
I can't upgrade as Apple provides no place on their website to download an update for Leopard to Mountain Lion.
Dream.Finder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
sundog925
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream.Finder View Post
I can't upgrade as Apple provides no place on their website to download an update for Leopard to Mountain Lion.
you need to BUY leopard. Or Snow Leopard. The Only updates available via the mac app store are Lion and Mountain Lion.

Leopard and Snow Leopard came in physical CDs.
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:23 AM   #5
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine had this problem, she used a Windows computer running Windows 7 and updated to the new itunes and activated her phone

If someone in your family home or a friend has a windows PC , just ask them. She also used an external HD to transfer all her music etc.

Other than that, I would just upgrade if you have the money, it's worth it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone