Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Captfxk
macrumors newbie

Too old for iPod?

Greetings, I'm almost 60 and wonder if it looks weird for someone that old to be carrying around an iPod. I mean is the iPod considered more of a toy as opposed to the iPhone which is considered more mature? I see where people give their kids iPods to play games. Is the iPod considered more of a gaming device?
Should I feel odd showing family photos on an iPod when my peers have their photos on an iPhone or other smart phone?
Captfxk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:42 AM   #2
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Honestly, sir!

i am turning 32 and thinking the same thing already. I don't like Iphone, i prefered a phone that battery last more than a day. i like Ipod touch especially 5th gen because of the camera and battery although i think that maybe it is just for kids.

Still at USD 299, i dont think parents buy for their kids anymore. Maybe stick to the kindle or whatever make them read more than play games.

My point is that you can't change what people think of you but you can be happy about your own choice as long as you are following your feeling.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:25 AM   #3
HowardSmith
Banned

I am 60 and I walk everyday with my iPod touch in my front pocket and use over the ear headphones. I do not think I would walk without my Led Zepplin and ELP. At 60 I have learned to worry a little less about how other think you look. The music is simply amazing!

Just enjoy!
HowardSmith is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfxk View Post
Greetings, I'm almost 60 and wonder if it looks weird for someone that old to be carrying around an iPod. I mean is the iPod considered more of a toy as opposed to the iPhone which is considered more mature? I see where people give their kids iPods to play games. Is the iPod considered more of a gaming device?
Should I feel odd showing family photos on an iPod when my peers have their photos on an iPhone or other smart phone?
Dear Sir,

There is absolutely no age limit to the usage of any Apple products, or electronic devices for that matter. Please do not be too concerned with societal perceptions of what product being suitable to what age group or whatsoever. Buy whatever makes you happy and as long as you enjoy using it, why bother about what people think?

Yours sincerely,
a 18 year-old boy
Beeplance is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:21 AM   #5
MRamirez181
macrumors newbie

I am not very old (18 y.o.), but when I see older people with ipods I don't find it weird at all. Yes they are for playing games but the main purpose of them is for music. By saying you are too old for an ipod it is like saying you are too old to listen to music.The Iphone is basically the same thing as an ipod. A lot of people, old and young, get ipods instead of iphones because they are basically the same thing except the phone part. They instead have an ipod for music,media, now the camera, ect. and get a cheap phone for calling to save some money. Again I think it is perfectly normal for anyone too have an ipod whether they are 10 or 60. If you have the money I would definitely go with the iphone though, as it has a better camera, processor, bigger screen, and you will have all your info on one device instead of two.
MRamirez181 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:54 AM   #6
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Of course you can use an iPod And I wouldn't say that it has a higher toy factor than the iPhone, at all.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Dear Sir,

There is absolutely no age limit to the usage of any Apple products, or electronic devices for that matter. Please do not be too concerned with societal perceptions of what product being suitable to what age group or whatsoever. Buy whatever makes you happy and as long as you enjoy using it, why bother about what people think?

Yours sincerely,
a 18 year-old boy
Love this post to death. A+ to you sir.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:17 AM   #8
trundley
macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just buy the device that suits your needs. There's no real sense in just buying something that costs more because it's considered "more mature". I'm 20 and I still wont buy an iPhone because I can't justify the cost of the device to the cost of my current phone, as my current phone does everything I need it to.
trundley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:35 AM   #9
zone23
macrumors 6502a

Problem I have is I'm not a teen rebel anymore so to sit around ignoring the world with music blasting in my ears just doesn't get it anymore. That said it can be used for a lot more than just music though. No age limit on gadgets or at least I hope not.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:42 AM   #10
YanniDepp
macrumors 6502

You can't be "too old" for an iPod. It's not like this.

On the train to work every day, I see people in their 40s-50s using iPhones, iPod touches and iPads.

I do know how you feel, though. I'm 27 and I'm thinking about taking the metal rings out of my face that've been there since I was 19.
iPhone 5 (16GB), iPod touch 5 (64GB), iPad 3 (16GB), iPod mini (16GB)
YanniDepp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Akoni 2011
macrumors newbie

I am almost 60 and enjoying my new iPod touch 5 very much.
Age does'nt matter! Just have fun with it!
Akoni 2011 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:32 AM   #12
madrich
macrumors regular

I am 62 and play Angry Birds almost every day with my iPod Touch 4th generation. I used to have the original iPhone which I hacked to use on my TMO, but I found that I did not like a candy bar cell phone. I like a flip phone like Star Trek, so i sold it recently for 50% of it's original price. I am now considering the iPad mini.

Last edited by madrich; Nov 6, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
madrich is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
No, get a slate (black) one and you are good to go.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #14
mrskb
macrumors member

Wink

I'm 59, love my iPod!! I just sold my Touch 4g and am waiting for my new blue 5g to arrive. You're never too old!!
mrskb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:55 AM   #15
okrelayer
macrumors 6502a

This is the silliest post I have ever read.
okrelayer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #16
mrskb
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrelayer View Post
....then don't waste your time on it, Sweetie!
mrskb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #17
braddick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrelayer View Post
Then you've got to get out there and start living life, son- as there is much more on the web that is sillier than this.

Last edited by braddick; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
braddick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:51 PM   #18
smirk
macrumors 6502

I think you've gotten your answer, but here's one more opinion.

I don't see any stigma at all with people (of any age) walking around with iPod Touches. If you already have a smart phone, or if you don't and simply don't want a data plan, then the Touch is a great fit for you.

I'm in my forties and I love my Touch. I don't play too many games on it, I use it for music and podcasts and I've never once been embarrassed to be seen with it. It's not like I'm carrying around a Nintendo DS; this is a music and video player that can also run apps, some of which are games. It has gone all over the world with me and let me book lodging (via Skype), get directions (maps), stay in touch with friends and family (email), stay entertained during flights (movies and books), plan each day's activities (subway timetables, Lonely Planet and other travel apps), etc. To be fair, sometimes it is difficult enough to find a WiFi signal that it makes me wish I owned an iPhone, plus the lack of GPS is unfortunate. But regardless, it was a great purchase for me and I happily use it daily with no regrets.

In other words, this is not a child's gaming device.
smirk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:34 PM   #19
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Dude, if you're 60 and still worried about what other people think, there's something bigger you haven't done right. You ought to be wearing black socks and sandals and using whatever device you want.
jon3543 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:14 PM   #20
smirk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon3543 View Post
Dude, if you're 60 and still worried about what other people think, there's something bigger you haven't done right. You ought to be wearing black socks and sandals and using whatever device you want.
It is funny how 60 used to seem so ancient when I was a kid. Jon3543, people who are 60 aren't even close to what you're describing. They haven't even retired yet!
smirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:42 PM   #21
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Greetings, I'm almost 60 and wonder if it looks weird for someone that old to be carrying around an iPod.
you're almost 60 and still worried about what others think? hell i hope i don't feel like that when i'm 60. just say'n.
sineplex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Ozonekill
macrumors newbie

An iPod touch 5 is $300 minimum. Not something most kids can have. In fact I think a kid is more likely to have their parents old iPhone then an iPod touch.
Ozonekill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:19 AM   #23
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No one is ever too old for an iPod. That's about as silly as suggesting that 60 is too old to enjoy ice cream.

If the iPod's functionality (and feature set) is what is most suitable for you, then why bother what your peers think?
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:50 PM   #24
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Nah, lots of people have iPod Touches in addition to their smartphone to listen to music at the gym etc anyway. And no one will probably even notice unless they look closely at it
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:02 PM   #25
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Definitely not. The iPod Touch can be enjoyed by anyone depending on how they want to use it. My siblings and I got one for my father who is around the same age for him to use for music and getting email and such and he likes it. Most people will assume it's a phone anyway.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch