Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Most of the time, when I go into Spotlight in Mountain Lion, 10.8.2, I see this annoyance every single time:

spotlight.png

However, one or two seconds afterwards, it always disappears again. It's as if it doesn't really want me to see this progress bar, but yet isn't quick enough to hide it.

Does this look familiar to anyone here? How can I avoid it?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Most of the time, when I go into Spotlight in Mountain Lion, 10.8.2, I see this annoyance every single time:

View attachment 373212

Does this look familiar to anyone here? How can I avoid it?
You just need to let it finish indexing. The initial indexing may take a few hours. After that, maintaining the index will be unnoticeable in the background.

To force re-indexing your drive:
If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
From what I understand, this is a common thing when you have a lot on your hard drive or when the OS is new. It should go away when finished indexing.

c-t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I should have made it clearer that it has already finished indexing the whole drives. (I have updated my post now.)

The progress bar appears there, and goes away again within a second or two.

So it's not that "initial indexing" that's going on. Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I should have made it clearer that it has already finished indexing the whole drives. (I have updated my post now.)

The progress bar appears there, and goes away again within a second or two.

So it's not that "initial indexing" that's going on. Any ideas?
If it only takes a second or two, it sounds like it's just updating the index. You could try doing a complete re-index and see if that solves it. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it unless it takes longer.

kaz219

macrumors member
May 8, 2006
I have the exact same issue. My computer is a fresh Mountain Lion install (no upgrade). It is not an issue in itself, since spotlight works, it doesn’t seem like slowing down my computer, but it's maybe a sign of an internal OS issue that might become a problem for me later on…

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
i have noticed this too ... i had to put my Timeline disk on the exclude list and it seems to have gone away. or at least I don't notice it anymore ... definitely weird

rahulbsb

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
New Delhi, India
It looks very very familiar.. This is something i encounter every now and then..The spotlight progress bar pops out from beneath the search bar and appears to reindex. It seems as starting to index but after some seconds vanishes.. I have tried almost everything to solve but i couldn't (putting Mac HDD in the private section of spotlight section and then removing it to changing stuff up at the root level Library) . This thing started out with 10.8.2 and is still there in 10.8.4...
Do you still face this? Does anybody else have the same prob?
Does anyone face this after having clean-installed Mountain Lion?
:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.