Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Davie, FL 33314
I received a notification on my iPhone 4 that it had not been backed up in two weeks. I have it set to auto backup through iCloud so I thought the notification was odd. I tried to backup manually and it went for 5 minutes and times out. I googled the problem and it said to delete old backups and retry. I did that it went longer did a partial backup and failed. I googled some more and found an article on Apple's web site that said to turn off backup for the apps and to backup then turn the apps on one by one to see what app is causing the backup to fail. I did that and still nothing. I am scared now as I deleted the only backup I have and if I lose/break this phone with out a backup I am boned.

I should point out I have a 4th gen iPod touch with the same issue. Both devices are running iOS 6.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I find that sometimes my iOS devices won't sync over wifi. The fix is to bounce the phone and try again. I believe there's likely a bug in whatever sync service daemon is responsible for those operations, but that's just a guess.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
This happened to me a few weeks ago on my 4S, even though it gives the last back up date and time as the same day I got the error. I haven't seen it happen again since but I'll keep an eye on it.

Rodville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Davie, FL 33314
I was at the supermarket and I tested it using their wifi hotspot. The progress bar got almost all the way across before failing. So it has to have something to do with Comcast's service. I pulled out an older wifi router to see if it was just the one issued by Comcast but alas no, still nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.