Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Everything we knew it would be, plus release date and pricing:

• Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHz Quad-Core Krait CPUs
• Operating System: Android 4.2, Jelly Bean
• Network: 3G (WCDMA), HSPA+
• Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus (1280 x 768 pixels)
• Memory: 8GB / 16GB
• RAM: 2GB
• Camera: 8.0MP rear / 1.3MP HD front
• Battery: 2,100mAh Li-Polymer (embedded) / Talk time: 15.3 hours / Standby: 390 hours
• Size: 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm
• Weight: 139g
• Other: Wireless charging, NFC
• Available November 13th
• $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB) unlocked. Or $199 through 2-year contract with Tmo.

The Verge's hands on and visit to the Google building really showcase the hardware and software of the device. Some great new features to 4.2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=66-4uMQqerA

New features:
Photo Steer Panaroma mode, futuristic camera UI, widgets in the lock screen, Quick Settings pull down, Swipe-like gesture base typing in the default keyboard...

----------

nexus-4-vs-iphone-5.jpeg

I'd like to add:

15.3 hours talk time / 330 standby time _vs_ 8 hours talk time / 225 standby

It might also be worth pointing out that on the iPhone side, the price should really start at $649. -_-

-----------

83fded76c95b28dc8dd7994f3fe6603f_1349955404.jpeg

Front of the Nexus 4 is beautiful. The back... love or hate. I can see both sides of the argument. I started out liking it, then hating it, now I'm liking it again because 1) it's an homage to the first Nexus live wallpaper, and 2) all the hands-on videos show that the back design is very subtle (phew).

The iPhone 5 still looks weird to me. Like it's more a chocolate bar than a phone. The back I think is love or hate too like the Nexus 4. I will say though that the diamond cut band around the iPhone 5 is absolutely gorgeous, especially the white one. The chrome around the Nexus 4 is unfortunate.

------------

Engadget's hands on: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/google-nexus-4-hands-on/

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Samsung Nexus hardly sold because of the silly exclusivity they worked out with Verizon. This one will be DOA because of the lack of LTE.

Good price, but this is nothing more than a middle of the pack phone.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Brilliant price for one of, if not the top spec phones available. Lack of SD card slot is a bummer, but nothing to cry about.

Considering flagship phones with similar/inferior specs retail for £500+ on release, this is a bargain.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Why oh why isn't there a 32GB version for $399? :(

----------

Samsung Nexus hardly sold because of the silly exclusivity they worked out with Verizon. This one will be DOA because of the lack of LTE.

Good price, but this is nothing more than a middle of the pack phone.

HSPA+ is an incredibly acceptable compromise between high speed and battery saving measures. I actually love that this doesn't force LTE on people.

The LTE versions will come to those that need that much download speed, but IMO, it's excessive. Webpages load in under a second or two with HSPA+.

For such specs at such an insane price, this is wholly acceptable.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
15+ hours seems totally realistic if the phone does not have LTE. That is the trade-off.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get this phone. As a Verizon employee, I get a discount on my monthly plan to make it as affordable as a prepaid plan (about $40 a month). I can't walk away from that and there is no way this phone is coming to Verizon. I really don't want an Android phone that isn't a Nexus. I'm too spoiled! So that leaves Windows Phone 8X. Yes or no? Would I be better off with the new HTC 1080p Android Phone instead?

Do you think a Verizon version will come out eventually? If so, when?

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
What 1080p HTC phone? The one called "butterfly"? If so, I'm pretty that was only released on Japan.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Wow! I kind of wondered if they would announce the devices today without an event, but I didn't think that would actually happen.

Everything looks great. Nexus 10 design looks a little better than the leaked photos, but I don't think I'm interested in Android on a tablet. But it's great for people who are.

How would you get a HSPA+ data plan for a tablet? Do AT&T and T-Mobile offer this? Great prices on the Nexus 7 32GB, mobile connectivity or otherwise.

My thing is, I was all set to get the Nexus 4 a week ago. But now I'm not so sure if I want to leave Verizon and their amazing coverage. But I do need a smartphone regardless.

The price of the Nexus 4 shocks everybody I'm sure. I know Google is all about offering things cheap, but damn. The device is everything that was leaked, but it looks good.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
From Google regarding LTE

The reason Google is skipping LTE is because it is offering the Nexus 4 as an unlocked, off contract phone for $300 around the world. LTE is not a uniform standard.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
LTE is unnecessary, why does anyone need those kinds of speeds on a phone anyway? Not to mention LTE is ridiculously overpriced compared to it's HSPA+ counterpart.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
People, it's $300-350 OFF contract. Seems like a perfect solution for people who enjoy the affordable services of StraightTalk.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
LTE is unnecessary, why does anyone need those kinds of speeds on a phone anyway? Not to mention LTE is ridiculously overpriced compared to it's HSPA+ counterpart.

Exactly, especially in the UK at least where we only have the one LTE provider at present which is limited to about 16 cities and very much over priced!

----------

Where and will that be on the 13th?

On the Google website. Dosent mention the date though, but that seems to be all over the net.

Attachments

• nexus4.png
    nexus4.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 322

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Exactly, especially in the UK at least where we only have the one LTE provider at present which is limited to about 16 cities and very much over priced!

----------

On the Google website. Dosent mention the date though, but that seems to be all over the net.

That won't work for me. I was hoping Carphone Warehouse would be selling it unlocked so I can go to Belfast and get it.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
That won't work for me. I was hoping Carphone Warehouse would be selling it unlocked so I can go to Belfast and get it.

They did leak the unlocked version at £389- Im guessing CPW will have to reduce their price accordingly now!

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Exactly, it's ridiculous. £50+ for 8gb LTE usage a month? Get a grip EE.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'm way more than happy to sacrifice LTE to get 15+ hour talk time from the battery. To compare, the iPhone is rated at 8 hour talk time.

It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch either, especially on ATT.

This is a beautiful compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.