Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:00 PM   #26
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
But Rovio likes to rule the charts with as many titles in the top list as they can because it makes them look more awesome and get more sales etc. It's rather gross.
Gross to see a business making money instead of handily giving away their stuff? I think your comments are gross. Free markets, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

I applaud Rovio and will continue to do so until there's a reason not to.
iPadPublisher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:03 PM   #27
Astroexe
macrumors member

*Sigh* Angry Birds has become WAY too mainstream.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:05 PM   #28
Want300
macrumors 65816

I am currently enjoying Bad Piggies... I am pretty burnt out on Angry Birds, but I think I will have to purchase this one, that looked pretty sweet.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:24 PM   #29
hushypushy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
As Rovio continues to release these expansions and bill them as new apps, they'll continue to clutter the top charts until there aren't other games available on the app store.
haha, imagine that. The iTunes Store Top 10 games---all different versions of Angry Birds
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:38 PM   #30
shadowbird423
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Heh, thanks. If I was at home or had Photoshop on this work computer I'd have made an image with an Angry Bird jumping. Someone else is welcome to do so
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #31
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

I'm one of the 10 people on this planet that doesn't own any Angry Birds game and I sure as hell am not starting now lol.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:06 PM   #32
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container". The HD version will be once again more expensive than the iPhone version. For some reason, even though it's the same effin' game, you'll be forced to pay twice...

Yeah, what's the saying? Milk it, baby, milk it...

Apple should take measures against this "iPhone app" and "HD app" business.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:25 PM   #33
hushypushy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container". The HD version will be once again more expensive than the iPhone version. For some reason, even though it's the same effin' game, you'll be forced to pay twice...

Yeah, what's the saying? Milk it, baby, milk it...

Apple should take measures against this "iPhone app" and "HD app" business.
Okay, so let's assume Apple does take measures. Then what?

Then Angry Birds would be $3.99 and universal. As opposed to $2.99 + $0.99 for the separate versions. So what's the difference??

But of course, I'm sure you think the universal app should just be $0.99, right?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:54 PM   #34
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

I just inoculated.
iansilv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:44 PM   #35
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by verniesgarden View Post
so you are upset that they keep making games people want to buy?
No, I'm upset that I can't find games I want to buy. I played some of the first Angry Birds for a week or two, it was okay, and then I was done with it. I'd like it if I could find some more variety within the top game lists.

I'm also upset when I think about how feasible it is to make a successful iOS game without marketing it.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:05 PM   #36
Porco
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's not so much that they'll be forced to buy this game as other games will be pushed off of the charts, and so, for all intents and purposes, no longer be available on the app store.

As Rovio continues to release these expansions and bill them as new apps, they'll continue to clutter the top charts until there aren't other games available on the app store.
Quote:
No, I'm upset that I can't find games I want to buy. I played some of the first Angry Birds for a week or two, it was okay, and then I was done with it. I'd like it if I could find some more variety within the top game lists.

I'm also upset when I think about how feasible it is to make a successful iOS game without marketing it.
Sorry, but it's not Rovio's responsibility to make the iTunes store's discoverability better. Although I tend to agree with you that it is something which could be improved.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:10 PM   #37
CReimer
macrumors member

Angry Birds Star Wars: The Search for Jar-Jar

CReimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:16 PM   #38
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

I love Angry Birds, but I do agree that we could use a little more variety in the games department and a better way to discover them. I think there is a huge barrier to games entering the app store ecosystem and doing well that are really played much better if they are not controlled with fingers on the screen.

I love fighting games, I don't really want to play them with my fingers on the screen. Same thing for shooters- I like to use the display to, you know, display things. Angry Birds is fine with touch controls because the act of touching the screen relates directly to the playability of the game itself, and I think that is part of its runaway success.

So why can't we get a case manufacturer to plug the gap and make a case that puts a cross on the left, a few buttons on the right, two triggers on the top or back, and essentially make the iPhone in to something that looks like the new NEO GEO portable?

I have seen the kick-starter iOS gamepad control systems and they are all crap- I want a case- a firm, nice case that actually allows you to use the phone without anymore compromise than a slight increase in size, and use it as a portable gaming device as well. I think this would break open the iOS game market to other genres of gaming besides ones that require touch as part of their playability.
iansilv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:08 PM   #39
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r018u View Post
Wow, now they are really cashing out.

I wonder how many games they can get away with?
Not sure I understand. Do you have a problem with a company making more money (i.e. their whole raison d'être), or do you have a problem with people enjoying the products they make? Or do you simply not enjoy series?

This game looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get my new iPad mini and buy this game to play on it.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:31 PM   #40
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Not sure I understand. Do you have a problem with a company making more money (i.e. their whole raison d'être), or do you have a problem with people enjoying the products they make? Or do you simply not enjoy series?

This game looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get my new iPad mini and buy this game to play on it.
Man, it just hit me how awesome an iPad mini would be for gaming...
iansilv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:45 PM   #41
Ironduke
macrumors 65816

Exploit you I will
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:48 PM   #42
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
I'm one of the 10 people on this planet that doesn't own any Angry Birds game and I sure as hell am not starting now lol.
bad piggies is really fun and nothing like angry birds.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:35 AM   #43
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by r018u View Post
Wow, now they are really cashing out.

I wonder how many games they can get away with?
I'm guessing the popularity has waned quite a lot since the first one. I doubt as many people would buy this as the first, but definitely enough to make it worthwhile developing. The Angry Birds franchise will stay reasonably popular for quite a while, however it may cannibalise on itself somewhat. There'll be many new iOS users who will buy Angry Birds Star Wars rather than the original version, so the same will simply come from the latest game rather than the original game.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:47 AM   #44
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
Okay, so let's assume Apple does take measures. Then what?

Then Angry Birds would be $3.99 and universal. As opposed to $2.99 + $0.99 for the separate versions. So what's the difference??

But of course, I'm sure you think the universal app should just be $0.99, right?
Even if the universal app was $3.99, I'd be glad that I don't have to have 2 separate apps. I'm just sick of all those HD versions. But on the other hand, this price would't be very good for rovio's business, sales would do down. So they would probably have to lower the price to like $1.99.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:46 AM   #45
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Can't wait, just finished the Halloween one
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 AM   #46
tatonka
macrumors 6502

Didin't care for the space version too much .. but this one looks interesting, definitively worth a buck.

Hating on mainstream Angry Bird, has become way to mainstream ;-)

T.
tatonka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:29 AM   #47
angrybirds365
macrumors newbie

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and i have played every single version of Angry Birds on my iphone! I couldn't expect bigger news for this winter!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #48
ilguano
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
It's nice to feel special aint it? :P

iOS Developer
ilguano is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:42 AM   #49
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a

Am I the only person who doesn't care for Angry Birds?
Mac21ND is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:03 PM   #50
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadPublisher View Post
Gross to see a business making money instead of handily giving away their stuff? I think your comments are gross. Free markets, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

I applaud Rovio and will continue to do so until there's a reason not to.
App spamming, no matter the motives, is gross.

Course they will say that licensing forced them to make them separate apps for the movie tieins but there is no excuse for the rest

And now that Disney owns LucasFilm they will probably create Temple Run Star Wars so we can have another company App spamming.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion