Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
pcomac
macrumors regular

Apple... how am I supposed to charge it?

so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple
pcomac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

It come with the usb cable, use it to charge your device.

Pretty much everything has an USB connector nowadays anyway, it does not need to be a computer for it to charge your ipod.

Last edited by FrancoisC; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
FrancoisC is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Here are used genuine apple ones for $3 + shipping. I have purchased several iPhone and ipad used adapters from them before without issue.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/A1265C/

I linked to the fair condition links, they also have good condition ones, and ipad 10w chargers that will also work for iPods.
Richdmoore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

They sent you an ipod with no cable?
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
They sent you an ipod with no cable?
The USB cable is included in the box, as are the headphones.

Apparently the OP expected to get a "charging thing" (power adapter) as well.

The Apple Store is very clear on what's included; Apple's logic is just fine.
Aspasia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
The USB cable is included in the box, as are the headphones.

Apparently the OP expected to get a "charging thing" (power adapter) as well.

The Apple Store is very clear on what's included; Apple's logic is just fine.
Ohh, I see! Ha.
charlieegan3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:41 PM   #7
pcomac
macrumors regular

its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
pcomac is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:46 PM   #8
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
That's a valid complaint but this is from a company that used to sell ALL their Macs the way they sell Mac Mini's these days (and I don't mean cheap), with nothing necessary to use the thing apart from a powercable!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:09 PM   #9
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I think the point is you're wrong and now you're too proud to admit it.
kappaknight is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:10 PM   #10
preyan
macrumors regular

Quote:
so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple

You do realise that unless through iTunes store, you need a computer with iTunes software to transfer movies, songs, photos, etc.
So, considering you need a computer, you can use that same computer to charge via USB.

Apple is very clear on what is included. I bought my iPad 2 and it came with the charge, which I use for both iPad and iPod
preyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
If you don't like it, return it. The iPod Touch has never been sold with a power adapter.
Plutonius is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:16 PM   #12
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
If you don't like it, return it. The iPod Touch has never been sold with a power adapter.
Are being serious?
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:20 PM   #13
robanga
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Huh..it seems like when i got one of the last gen for my daughter it had an adaptor. I could be wrong. Maybe she just grabbed one of the many around the house.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Are being serious?
Yep, they have always come with just a USB to 30 pin cable.

The new ones come with a USB to lightning cable.

Please read the paragraph of "what is in the box" and you can see the Touch never came with the USB adapter brick.
iPod Touch
iPod Touch 2nd gen
iPod Touch 3rd gen
iPod Touch 4th gen
iPod Touch 5th gen

You might have been thinking of the iPad since it does ship with the USB adapter brick.
iPad
Plutonius is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by preyan View Post
You do realise that unless through iTunes store, you need a computer with iTunes software to transfer movies, songs, photos, etc.
So, considering you need a computer, you can use that same computer to charge via USB.

Apple is very clear on what is included. I bought my iPad 2 and it came with the charge, which I use for both iPad and iPod
No you don't, you can buy Music/Movies/Apps with the iPod Touch and download to directly it.
I thought since iOS 5 it's "PC Free"
Also you can sync wirelessly, so don't need to plug it into a computer.

Last edited by Primejimbo; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Primejimbo is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #16
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
If they included the adaptor, the device would cost more, and not that many people need it.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Plug it on a computer. Or just buy a cheap wall adapter
Thetonyk123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

yeah i hate this too, they don't include a power adapter and i have to either charge it using my computer or buy a adapter for $20.
i wish they didn't include the loop and included the power adapter instead
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:51 PM   #19
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
yeah i hate this too, they don't include a power adapter and i have to either charge it using my computer or buy a adapter for $20.
i wish they didn't include the loop and included the power adapter instead
$20?? They're about $5 at most places, $2 from Chinese eBay sellers with a fake 30-pin to USB adaptor included and free shipping. You could even find an old PC in the trash and use the USB port on it for charging.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:57 AM   #20
Aaron P
macrumors newbie

here is an idea... go to JBHIFI and buy it there... ask them if they can do you a deal and ask if they can add it for free? i did that and got a ipod touch 8gb,new wall charger and new cases for it so i didnt scratch it... and it still cost me the exact same. the ipod went down $30 and the other $30 went to the stuff but it still cost the same as getting the ipod touch by its self. and the yalways have done me a good deal cuss they now that you will go back again and again for more deals
BE PERSUASIVE about it and be NICE not angry or mean or something.
Aaron P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 AM   #21
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Apple logic is not fine.

At 299, Adaptor should be added in the box like Gen 3. I read somewhere that gen 3 has plug included as well as headset with remote and mic. Its not an ipod nano or shuffle where you just plug it in to computer usb at work for 1.5-2.0 hours and last 30 hours music.

Ipod touch is quite big and for game play, we need adaptor for that not sold seperately for another 19 bucks.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:08 AM   #22
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Apple logic is not fine.

At 299, Adaptor should be added in the box like Gen 3. I read somewhere that gen 3 has plug included as well as headset with remote and mic. Its not an ipod nano or shuffle where you just plug it in to computer usb at work for 1.5-2.0 hours and last 30 hours music.

Ipod touch is quite big and for game play, we need adaptor for that not sold seperately for another 19 bucks.
Don't you bother to read the previous post in this thread before posting ? The 3rd gen iPod Touch along with ever other version of iPod Touch never included the USB adapter brick (they all only came with the USB cable). The links to all the versions of the iPod Touch tech sheets were posted in this thread and they show exactly what was in the box for the Touch.

Also, the 3rd gen Touch earbuds came with a remote and mic but it was the only version to do so.
Plutonius is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:50 AM   #23
jdiamond
macrumors regular

You should really buy some of those USB wall plugs...

Quote:
Understand you felt ripped off. I think it would be most useful to buy one of those wall plug / USB adapters that are now sold. Anything that's usb just plugs into them. They also have them for the car.

You might find 3rd party stuff is actually more useful than what Apple might have provided.
jdiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:54 AM   #24
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

I seriously die a little inside when I read posts like the one that sparked this thread.

If you go to apple.com/store, and click on iPod Touch, it brings up the page for that product, which clearly outlines the following:

What's in the box
iPod touch
iPod touch loop
Apple EarPods
Lightning to USB cable
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
IIRC, the whole point of phones standardising on chargers was to reduce the shipping of chargers when people swapping to a new phone already had one. The kicker being that if you changed manufacturers the old charger wouldn't fit the new phone.

Now they do*, and companies don't have to supply chargers that go immediately to landfill. It's called 'environmental awareness'. It also reduces their costs, which I'm sure are passed on to the consumer

It's a PITA if you're buying a completely new phone though.

* I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple was an exception to this!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch