Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
pcomac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Apple... how am I supposed to charge it?

so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple
pcomac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal, Qc
It come with the usb cable, use it to charge your device.

Pretty much everything has an USB connector nowadays anyway, it does not need to be a computer for it to charge your ipod.
__________________
27' iMac late 2012, 3,2GHz/GTX 680, 32GB, Samsung 840 EVO (1TB)

Last edited by FrancoisC; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
FrancoisC is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Here are used genuine apple ones for $3 + shipping. I have purchased several iPhone and ipad used adapters from them before without issue.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/A1265C/

I linked to the fair condition links, they also have good condition ones, and ipad 10w chargers that will also work for iPods.
Richdmoore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
They sent you an ipod with no cable?
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
They sent you an ipod with no cable?
The USB cable is included in the box, as are the headphones.

Apparently the OP expected to get a "charging thing" (power adapter) as well.

The Apple Store is very clear on what's included; Apple's logic is just fine.
Aspasia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
The USB cable is included in the box, as are the headphones.

Apparently the OP expected to get a "charging thing" (power adapter) as well.

The Apple Store is very clear on what's included; Apple's logic is just fine.
Ohh, I see! Ha.
charlieegan3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:41 PM   #7
pcomac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
pcomac is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:46 PM   #8
barkmonster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
That's a valid complaint but this is from a company that used to sell ALL their Macs the way they sell Mac Mini's these days (and I don't mean cheap), with nothing necessary to use the thing apart from a powercable!
__________________
16Gb iPhone 5 2.53Ghz Mac Mini (8Gb, 60Gb Vertex 2) Icy Box IB-328U3SEb with Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Mbox2 LG W2343T Samsung SyncMaster 913n
barkmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:09 PM   #9
kappaknight
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
I think the point is you're wrong and now you're too proud to admit it.
kappaknight is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:10 PM   #10
preyan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple


You do realise that unless through iTunes store, you need a computer with iTunes software to transfer movies, songs, photos, etc.
So, considering you need a computer, you can use that same computer to charge via USB.

Apple is very clear on what is included. I bought my iPad 2 and it came with the charge, which I use for both iPad and iPod
preyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Plutonius
macrumors 68040
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
If you don't like it, return it. The iPod Touch has never been sold with a power adapter.
Plutonius is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:16 PM   #12
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
If you don't like it, return it. The iPod Touch has never been sold with a power adapter.
Are being serious?
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:20 PM   #13
robanga
macrumors 68000
 
robanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
If you don't like it, return it. The iPod Touch has never been sold with a power adapter.
Huh..it seems like when i got one of the last gen for my daughter it had an adaptor. I could be wrong. Maybe she just grabbed one of the many around the house.
__________________
Soli Deo gloria
robanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Plutonius
macrumors 68040
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Are being serious?
Yep, they have always come with just a USB to 30 pin cable.

The new ones come with a USB to lightning cable.

Please read the paragraph of "what is in the box" and you can see the Touch never came with the USB adapter brick.
iPod Touch
iPod Touch 2nd gen
iPod Touch 3rd gen
iPod Touch 4th gen
iPod Touch 5th gen

You might have been thinking of the iPad since it does ship with the USB adapter brick.
iPad
Plutonius is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by preyan View Post
You do realise that unless through iTunes store, you need a computer with iTunes software to transfer movies, songs, photos, etc.
So, considering you need a computer, you can use that same computer to charge via USB.

Apple is very clear on what is included. I bought my iPad 2 and it came with the charge, which I use for both iPad and iPod
No you don't, you can buy Music/Movies/Apps with the iPod Touch and download to directly it.
I thought since iOS 5 it's "PC Free"
Also you can sync wirelessly, so don't need to plug it into a computer.

Last edited by Primejimbo; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Primejimbo is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #16
faroZ06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
If they included the adaptor, the device would cost more, and not that many people need it.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000
 
Thetonyk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple
Plug it on a computer. Or just buy a cheap wall adapter
__________________
Some Apple stuff
How you send feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
-Credit to iSayuSay for Avatar.
Thetonyk123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
yeah i hate this too, they don't include a power adapter and i have to either charge it using my computer or buy a adapter for $20.
i wish they didn't include the loop and included the power adapter instead
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:51 PM   #19
faroZ06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
yeah i hate this too, they don't include a power adapter and i have to either charge it using my computer or buy a adapter for $20.
i wish they didn't include the loop and included the power adapter instead
$20?? They're about $5 at most places, $2 from Chinese eBay sellers with a fake 30-pin to USB adaptor included and free shipping. You could even find an old PC in the trash and use the USB port on it for charging.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:57 AM   #20
Aaron P
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
here is an idea... go to JBHIFI and buy it there... ask them if they can do you a deal and ask if they can add it for free? i did that and got a ipod touch 8gb,new wall charger and new cases for it so i didnt scratch it... and it still cost me the exact same. the ipod went down $30 and the other $30 went to the stuff but it still cost the same as getting the ipod touch by its self. and the yalways have done me a good deal cuss they now that you will go back again and again for more deals
BE PERSUASIVE about it and be NICE not angry or mean or something.
Aaron P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 AM   #21
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Apple logic is not fine.

At 299, Adaptor should be added in the box like Gen 3. I read somewhere that gen 3 has plug included as well as headset with remote and mic. Its not an ipod nano or shuffle where you just plug it in to computer usb at work for 1.5-2.0 hours and last 30 hours music.

Ipod touch is quite big and for game play, we need adaptor for that not sold seperately for another 19 bucks.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:08 AM   #22
Plutonius
macrumors 68040
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Apple logic is not fine.

At 299, Adaptor should be added in the box like Gen 3. I read somewhere that gen 3 has plug included as well as headset with remote and mic. Its not an ipod nano or shuffle where you just plug it in to computer usb at work for 1.5-2.0 hours and last 30 hours music.

Ipod touch is quite big and for game play, we need adaptor for that not sold seperately for another 19 bucks.
Don't you bother to read the previous post in this thread before posting ? The 3rd gen iPod Touch along with ever other version of iPod Touch never included the USB adapter brick (they all only came with the USB cable). The links to all the versions of the iPod Touch tech sheets were posted in this thread and they show exactly what was in the box for the Touch.

Also, the 3rd gen Touch earbuds came with a remote and mic but it was the only version to do so.
Plutonius is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:50 AM   #23
jdiamond
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
You should really buy some of those USB wall plugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple
Understand you felt ripped off. I think it would be most useful to buy one of those wall plug / USB adapters that are now sold. Anything that's usb just plugs into them. They also have them for the car.

You might find 3rd party stuff is actually more useful than what Apple might have provided.
jdiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:54 AM   #24
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
I seriously die a little inside when I read posts like the one that sparked this thread.

If you go to apple.com/store, and click on iPod Touch, it brings up the page for that product, which clearly outlines the following:

What's in the box
iPod touch
iPod touch loop
Apple EarPods
Lightning to USB cable
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Truffy
macrumors 6502a
 
Truffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: somewhere outside your window...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcomac View Post
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-
IIRC, the whole point of phones standardising on chargers was to reduce the shipping of chargers when people swapping to a new phone already had one. The kicker being that if you changed manufacturers the old charger wouldn't fit the new phone.

Now they do*, and companies don't have to supply chargers that go immediately to landfill. It's called 'environmental awareness'. It also reduces their costs, which I'm sure are passed on to the consumer

It's a PITA if you're buying a completely new phone though.

* I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple was an exception to this!
__________________
Too much stuff
Not enough stuff
Truffy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, Apple, care to explain what are we supposed to do with our AuthenTec readers?! rk25123 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Feb 19, 2014 01:02 PM
What's funny is that Apple is the only one that DIDN'T say 5c is supposed to be cheap Kendo iPhone 11 Sep 11, 2013 05:02 PM
aaaaargh I thought Apple's were supposed to be easy? applewank Wasteland 23 Feb 18, 2013 08:13 AM
All iPads: Apple's new supposed update schedule: food for thought for all iOS owners britneyfan iPad 9 Dec 28, 2012 03:37 PM
How am I supposed to order multiple through Apple.com? shenan1982 iPhone 1 Sep 13, 2012 08:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC