Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

The ONE thing from Google that could make me switch from iDevices (eventually)

Oddly enough to many...its nothing to do with the screen, the processor, or even the apps.

Its all about the power supply. Or in the case of Qi wireless power standard, the lack of cables to get to same.

Starbucks just announced a pilot using a different wireless charging standard than Qi, which makes me wonder what Google is doing (other than playing on both sides of the fence).

But dear god...a future where I had ubiquitous power charging without need to carry a cable/power supply? And it works with everything in my personal ecosystem...devices, favorite restaurants/coffee shops/bars, etc?

Yes, I realize ubiquitous wireless charging is likely years away, but I'd jump at the chance to abandon my power cables completely. And knowing Apple, I doubt they'll ever agree to a standard that they don't control.

One can dream.....
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

I am really looking forward to the wireless charging orb. My phone sits on my desk all day anyway, why not be fully charged?! And it has a docking mode that gives you some great options to use the phone while docked. (I assume you can do anything while it is docked as well). Simply put, awesome.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices