Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:21 PM   #1
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Should the iPad Mini replace my iPhone 5?

I am considering dumping my iPhone 5 and going with an iPad Mini 4G LTE. The fact that I use more data than voice calling and the 10 hour battery life on the Mini make it very appealing to me. I might use a dumb phone on the side or I may just use the iPad Mini for voip calls also.

How do I figure out how data voip calls would use? That would be the determining factor. I would use google voice or skype.
dinosaur1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I am considering dumping my iPhone 5 and going with an iPad Mini 4G LTE. The fact that I use more data than voice calling and the 10 hour battery life on the Mini make it very appealing to me. I might use a dumb phone on the side or I may just use the iPad Mini for voip calls also.

How do I figure out how data voip calls would use? That would be the determining factor. I would use google voice or skype.
you are literally going to carry this thing with you 24/7? going to a party you're gonna have your ipad mini in ur back pocket? lol
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Yeah, no. Use it as a companion device if anything. There are loads of apps that are going to be great for syncing across iCloud. VOIP is great, but it has its cons, especially when you're out and about.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
you are literally going to carry this thing with you 24/7? going to a party you're gonna have your ipad mini in ur back pocket? lol
I wouldn't carry it for things like that. I figure I will not have to worry about 2 year contracts and I can get a new iPad Mini every year or something better.

Does anyone know how I can figure out data usage for voip calling?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, no. Use it as a companion device if anything. There are loads of apps that are going to be great for syncing across iCloud. VOIP is great, but it has its cons, especially when you're out and about.
I use google voice on my iPhone and have never had an issue.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

OP, you're asking the wrong crowd. Most of these people have an iPhone and LOVE it. To imply that an iPad Mini may be a better option (to actually get rid of the iPhone) is going to be met with overwhelming "are you crazy?" and similar.

Frankly, I think it's a great idea based on what you shared. If you don't need the phone component that much, a VOIP app can cover you. You might miss some inbound calls but you can always call people back. In turn, you've still got (much cheaper) LTE for everywhere connections and NO CONTRACT to take several thousand dollars from you over the next 2 years.

I've had the exact same thought as you. People are imagining it as this huge thing but it's only huge relative to the small size of the iPhone (which is too small for me personally). What was the big wish with "5" before Apple rolled it out? Bigger screen (and not just a little longer either).

This Mini is about the size of a DVD case. If you wear suits, it will easily fit in your jacket pocket. If I had an iPhone and could not part with it, I'd have a hard time rationalizing an iPad Mini. But, if I was somewhat indifferent- and especially if I didn't think the phone portion was very important to my needs- the iPad is pretty much everything else the iPhone is with a bigger screen.

I doubt you- and I- will be the only ones to go this way. But I expect someone in this thread to make fun of holding a Mini up to your ear (by pretending to forget about earbuds + microphone) and a host of other rationalizations in support of iPhone or iPhone + Mini but not Mini - iPhone.

Suggestion: go to the store and really check it out. Be sure the portability tradeoff seems to work for you. If so, the idea is a good one. You'll save a lot of money and still be able to use just about every single app you can run on an iPhone.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 PM   #6
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
OP, you're asking the wrong crowd. Most of these people have an iPhone and LOVE it. To imply that an iPad Mini may be a better option (to actually get rid of the iPhone) is going to be met with overwhelming "are you crazy?" and similar.

Frankly, I think it's a great idea based on what you shared. If you don't need the phone component that much, a VOIP app can cover you. You might miss some inbound calls but you can always call people back. In turn, you've still got (much cheaper) LTE for everywhere connections and NO CONTRACT to take several thousand dollars from you over the next 2 years.

I've had the exact same thought as you. People are imagining it as this huge thing but it's only huge relative to the small size of the iPhone (which is too small for me personally). What was the big wish with "5" before Apple rolled it out? Bigger screen (and not just a little longer either).

This Mini is about the size of a DVD case. If you wear suits, it will easily fit in your jacket pocket. If I had an iPhone and could not part with it, I'd have a hard time rationalizing an iPad Mini. But, if I was somewhat indifferent- and especially if I didn't think the phone portion was very important to my needs- the iPad is pretty much everything else the iPhone is with a bigger screen.

I doubt you- and I- will be the only ones to go this way. But I expect someone in this thread to make fun of holding a Mini up to your ear (by pretending to forget about earbuds + microphone) and a host of other rationalizations in support of iPhone or iPhone + Mini but not Mini - iPhone.

Suggestion: go to the store and really check it out. Be sure the portability tradeoff seems to work for you. If so, the idea is a good one. You'll save a lot of money and still be able to use just about every single app you can run on an iPhone.
I rarely use the voice part of my iPhone 5. I love the a6 processor and the camera with flash. Actually takes great pictures. It comes to a few things. I would have a dumbphone for calls more than likely. I like the iPad Mini idea because of a few things. I use the navigation ALOT. I love the 10 hour battery life because I am constantly charging my iPhone....and most importantly no contract. Keep in mind I would be paying the same monthly fee that I am now. I currently have unlimited data...I only use alot of data when I stream music thought on 4g.....do you think I should keep unlimited data knowing that one day it will go away.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #7
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

I thought about this... and then I just realized that it wouldn't work for me.

The iPhone is just too convenient.

But if you think it will work for you then by all means do it and don't worry about what others say.
nStyle is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I rarely use the voice part of my iPhone 5. I love the a6 processor and the camera with flash. Actually takes great pictures. It comes to a few things. I would have a dumbphone for calls more than likely. I like the iPad Mini idea because of a few things. I use the navigation ALOT. I love the 10 hour battery life because I am constantly charging my iPhone....and most importantly no contract. Keep in mind I would be paying the same monthly fee that I am now. I currently have unlimited data...I only use alot of data when I stream music thought on 4g.....do you think I should keep unlimited data knowing that one day it will go away.
If it was me, I would get the 64GB version and sync my music. If that eats most of your data, you could then gauge how much data you really need (especially if you have fairly ready access to free wifi). You might be able to downgrade the cost of your cellular as part of this. I'd also give real thought to the dumb phone vs. VOIP option. That would be another way to lop off some cellular charges.

Really though, you just need to think about how you use things like this to make your own call. For me, I see a very good scenario of letting the iPad Mini double as my occasional use cell phone (via VOIP). I don't have an iPhone now so it will even be an "upgrade" to my mobile phone usage flexibility. For you, it sounds like you are more accustomed to having- and using- phone functions. If so, the dumb phone + mini may be the way you want to go... or maybe you are a good candidate for an iPhone instead of dumb phone + mini.

Again, in my own case, I would never burn cellular bandwidth on streaming media. I would always sync or wait until I can download stuff like that via wifi. So, if I go this way, I'd heavily lean to the 64GB version (longing for 128GB) and then sync my media before I leave home.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #9
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

I've been considering the same scenario. I rarely talk on my current phone (an HTC EVO), and I think Skype or Vonage would be enough on the iPad Mini. A Bluetooth headset would eliminate the need to take it out of my pocket or briefcase to make or take a call.

I say if it works for you 1) go for it and 2) let us know the pros and cons.
CoMoMacUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Talking

I just had to take a peek at this thread. Kept getting visions of someone walking around with an iPad up to their ear, jabbering away
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Noisemaker

For 99% of things, yeah. It'll probably work.

It'll be that 1% of things that will make you majorly regret not having an actual phone.
Noisemaker is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:59 PM   #12
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Probably. The big question: is the 1% worth the much greater cost of cellular service over 2 years?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:19 AM   #13
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Probably. The big question: is the 1% worth the much greater cost of cellular service over 2 years?
If money is that important, maybe not buying a mini would be better. Put the money in the bank or pay a bill . . . Just saying
HowardSmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:24 AM   #14
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Maybe he doesn't go to party at all????
raccoonboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Maybe he doesn't go to party at all????
how about a social gathering etc?

Go to the mall, you gonna carry around an ipad mini in your pocket? just doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:05 PM   #16
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
how about a social gathering etc?

Go to the mall, you gonna carry around an ipad mini in your pocket? just doesn't make sense.
No everyone has an issue carrying something like messenger bag or if you're a woman, a purse?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:59 PM   #17
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

I would keep the iPhone to be honest. Even though you use data more than voice, having the voice option is still pretty important sometimes. Can't really dial 911 on an iPad..The iPhone can do everything that the iPad can and more, the same cannot be said for the iPad.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:09 PM   #18
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
No everyone has an issue carrying something like messenger bag or if you're a woman, a purse?
so when you go to a wedding ur gonna bring ur man purse with you? just so you can house ur ipad mini? lol ridiculous
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:30 PM   #19
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
so when you go to a wedding ur gonna bring ur man purse with you? just so you can house ur ipad mini? lol ridiculous
I don't know, are you going to be condescending there as well?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:00 PM   #20
robmacuser
macrumors newbie

me too

Quote:

I'm doing the same thing, ditching the iPhone 5 and going with Verizon LTE iPad mini. Already porting my number over to Line2 app (which uses wifi, 3g, lte, or whatever it can to send texts, make calls, etc for $10/mo).

Bigger screen makes a huge difference, because I find myself using the phone for SO MUCH that it's just stupid to continue doing it with such a small screen.

Kind of sick of having a phone all the time as well, and this seems like a good way to detach/detox - what are you doing on your phone at a party, or at the mall, or at a social gathering at all?
robmacuser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:56 PM   #21
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Tablets, no matter 7 or 10 inch are not purposed to replace a Phone!!!!

Or else, Apple would not be selling Iphones. I once saw a guy using their 1st gen Galaxy Tab as a phone on the train is ridiculous. People didnt think he is cool, but this guy is probly crazy or try to show off.

A phone is a phone, you can get a dumb phone and an Ipod touch, or Ipad but Ipad mini can't make phone call. Anyhow, people live their life differently.
raccoonboy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 PM   #22
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

this thread

lol
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:05 PM   #23
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPhone, never did but I think trying to replace a real phone with a tablet isn't going to work that well.

A dumb phone for calls and text plus a mini sounds like a better combo if you absolutely hate your iPhone, but then you have that contract that you still have to deal with and that's going to cost too.

Why not keep the iphone and just get yourself a wifi mini if you need to save some cash?
Ladybug is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:26 PM   #24
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmacuser View Post
I'm doing the same thing, ditching the iPhone 5 and going with Verizon LTE iPad mini. Already porting my number over to Line2 app (which uses wifi, 3g, lte, or whatever it can to send texts, make calls, etc for $10/mo).

Bigger screen makes a huge difference, because I find myself using the phone for SO MUCH that it's just stupid to continue doing it with such a small screen.

Kind of sick of having a phone all the time as well, and this seems like a good way to detach/detox - what are you doing on your phone at a party, or at the mall, or at a social gathering at all?

I totally agree. Having a basic phone for calls and an iPad Mini primarily for data is genius and I plan on doing it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I don't have an iPhone, never did but I think trying to replace a real phone with a tablet isn't going to work that well.

A dumb phone for calls and text plus a mini sounds like a better combo if you absolutely hate your iPhone, but then you have that contract that you still have to deal with and that's going to cost too.

Why not keep the iphone and just get yourself a wifi mini if you need to save some cash?
I would have a basic phone and an iPad Mini for data. Remember the Mini has a 11-12 hour battery life compared to the iPhone which I' always charging constantly.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:51 PM   #25
cutienoua
macrumors member

I have a verizon ipad mini in order.
will carry the work phone razr maxx all the time. ipad mini only for browsing

If you use skype for calls only no video it is not that much data. go check skype website for details how much data is needed!

Last edited by cutienoua; Nov 10, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
cutienoua is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad