Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papatoony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I had Mountain Lion on my MBP for a couple of months and really liked the Notepad. I've had to go back to using Lion though because I just couldn't deal with some of the ML changes. Now I'm happy with everything *except* I miss the Notepad which I found very handy...I kept it in my dock and organized all my various notes there. The only 'similar' thing I can find in Lion is TextEdit which doesn't organize anything :\ Anyone know of something I could download that's comparable to Notepad?

Thanks!

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
I had Mountain Lion on my MBP for a couple of months and really liked the Notepad. I've had to go back to using Lion though because I just couldn't deal with some of the ML changes. Now I'm happy with everything *except* I miss the Notepad which I found very handy...I kept it in my dock and organized all my various notes there. The only 'similar' thing I can find in Lion is TextEdit which doesn't organize anything :\ Anyone know of something I could download that's comparable to Notepad?

Thanks!

Could you please post a link to this "Notepad". I've never heard of it for Mac.

iScreamSanWitch

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
hahaha.. oh man. This has to warrant one of these.. no?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Evernote perhaps? But I have to say, the notes app is still in Lion inside the Mail app.

Personally, I think the ML version of Notes sucks. We're on version 10.8.2 and you still can't search inside individual notes (they "Find" commands are greyed out). I use this extensively.

Honestly... I get more done with simple textedit keeping all my notes in a simple folder.

papatoony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Evernote perhaps? But I have to say, the notes app is still in Lion inside the Mail app.

Personally, I think the ML version of Notes sucks. We're on version 10.8.2 and you still can't search inside individual notes (they "Find" commands are greyed out). I use this extensively.

Honestly... I get more done with simple textedit keeping all my notes in a simple folder.

Evernote costs $45/year? LOL wow. Gonna pass on that...all I need is a simple place to store & organize notes (like grocery lists, etc). There are the little sticky notes, but those are too small for my needs. I've played around with notes in Gmail and can't figure it out for the life of me...it sends them to my inbox every time I edit one which I find annoying. It just doesn't make sense to me. In ML I could easily just keep it in my dock and never fuss with the Gmail mess. Looks like I might have to go back to using TextEdit which sucks because I have to keep them open, which clutters up my screen when I "show all open windows" (whatever the term is for that).

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
In Lion Notes is part of the Mail app. They will sync across your devices through iCloud, though more clumsily than in ML.

What made you "downgrade?" Aside from some minor annoyances, I much prefer ML.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Evernote costs $45/year? LOL wow. Gonna pass on that...all I need is a simple place to store & organize notes (like grocery lists, etc). There are the little sticky notes, but those are too small for my needs. I've played around with notes in Gmail and can't figure it out for the life of me...it sends them to my inbox every time I edit one which I find annoying. It just doesn't make sense to me. In ML I could easily just keep it in my dock and never fuss with the Gmail mess. Looks like I might have to go back to using TextEdit which sucks because I have to keep them open, which clutters up my screen when I "show all open windows" (whatever the term is for that).

It's only $45 per year for premium. Free seems like it will do what you want.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
A quick search of 'NotePad' on the Mac App Store will find you many note-taking apps, some of which are very similar to the notepad app in Mountain Lion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 7.24.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 7.24.20 AM.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.