Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rossta76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hi all,
I shot my first panorama pic indoors tonight with typical indoor lighting. When I switch to panorama mode the exposure level goes very dark, almost purpleish. Is this normal? Seems like it goes from normal to dark as soon as I enter panorama mode. Thanks.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351577698.935041.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351577698.935041.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 446
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351577812.067526.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351577812.067526.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 273

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've noticed the same thing with my panoramas. I think the camera normally adjusts exposure and focus to get the best single image, but when you're taking a panorama, doing so would make various parts of the image look inconsistant.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Try locking AE/AF before starting the panorama. To do this hold down on a well lit part of the picture, until the blue square "pulsates" and then let go. It should say AE/AF lock on the bottom. That'll make sure it keeps those exposure settings and all that fun stuff.

johnRsmith

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
exact same problem, the switch to panorama mode causes the camera to go extremely dark, even with the same exact frame. The camera works perfectly when not in panorama mode

Akuma Nakamura

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
In a City in a State
The Proposed Answer

What I think it is, is that Apple purposely has the quality degraded so it won't be too close to iPhone 5, just like when they added retina display to the iPod touch 4 it didn't have IPS and it had a 0.7MP camera... cause on my friend's iPhone 4S and my iPhone 4S the quality doesn't darken and become grainy, on my iPod touch 5G I did a side by side comparison and mine was extra dark and grainy, but when I switch back to normal camera it's back to nice exposure and crisp quality so I think apple has done this purposely

abdullah788

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Oh, thank God...
I thought I was alone...
I use the pano camera more than anybody, but once I updated to iOS 7, they have been extremely dark. But it definitely is not deliberately done by Apple, because:
a) Before the update, the camera was perfectly fine, and a software update cannot affect hardware.
b) I checked about 3 other iPod touches with iOS 7 running, and it was fine...

Also, has anybody experienced weird moving black bars? and distorted messed up stitching in the final result?

I was hoping version 7.0.2 would fix it, but it didn't.

Rossta76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Mine has never improved with ios updates when taking panorama pics indoors. It seems to be ok when taking them outdoors. Wish it could be better but it just seems like a limitation that goes along with the device. Overall I'm pretty happy with the 5g iPod. But I really hope apple finally releases the retina ipad mini before the end of the year.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
My iPod touch 5 has been like this since I got it. I wish Apple would just fix it, there is no reason for it to be fine for the regular mode and then so much darker for panorama mode. The F-stop is certainly still the same, so it must be software. I love panoramas and this problem is a dagger to its usefulness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.