Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:18 AM   #76
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
As an iPad 3 owner, I must say this is one of the worst things to have happened to me in a long time. I really do wonder if Apple hates me?
I hope this is in jest, cause if this is "one of the worst things to have happened to you in a long time", I envy your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
Great improvement in such a short time frame. Value is definitely there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
My iPad 3 weeps. I can't believe it's MORE than twice as fast.
It IS incredible; technological progress just won't stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
The A5 wasn't exactly new when it came to the iPad. It just got a graphics update to handle the new resolution. I hope fall updates become the new "cycle." It's better for consumers because all the iPads bought for the holidays won't become obsolete in three months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTheThrone View Post
Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!! Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....
If the improvements are THIS dramatic, why 'sit' on great new technology, and allow the competition to catch up?
macs4nw is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:18 AM   #77
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Fragmentation

The benchmark-jump looks nice, although i doubt that many apps will profit from it. Developers want their apps to run on a variety of devices and due to the short timegap between iPad3 and 4 releases i guess the iPad 4 will not sell as good as the others did. Most people will wait for the next Update - and don't forget about the challengers released by Google yesterday.
Monkeydude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:20 AM   #78
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Furball View Post
Pretty hefty upgrade for a 6 months interval
Not really as the A5x had simular cpu performance of the 2011 ipad 2 .

So it was just catching up what it had missed in the ipad 3.
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:28 AM   #79
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Watch out nexus 10 lol
Lol why?

http://www.androidauthority.com/exyn...hmarks-125134/
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:32 AM   #80
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
Yay!! My G5 is almost as fast as an iPad
Right there with ya
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:41 AM   #81
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

All that extra power is pointless if the unit still doesn't support full multitasking.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:50 AM   #82
ds2000
macrumors regular

Damn, my poor little iPad 3

Still love it though, its a great product. I'll be sure next time something new is released and uses the previous generations CPU to wait for the power house version
ds2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:58 AM   #83
Gottis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...
you and fourteen other people are really onto something
Gottis is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:59 AM   #84
koruki
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...
the S3 I have was 1.4ghz quadcore, thin and light bigger screen. Still didn't work as smoothly as my old 4S.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:00 AM   #85
achtung!
macrumors regular

ok, but where's my itunes 11?
achtung! is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:02 AM   #86
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
After seeing the Nexus announcement I cancelled my iPad orders and will try out a Nexus 7 and 10. I am looking for gifts and Apple is frankly being priced out of that market for me. For the price difference the risk is well worth it and that feature set is great.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:02 AM   #87
Cockney Rebel

I am definitely noticing stuttering with my iPad 3, now.

With this new processor the "new, new" iPad will be so smooth.

Now really contemplating selling my "new" iPad to get one of these ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:08 AM   #88
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Oh well, it was nice to have the fastest iOS device the month it lasted!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:30 AM   #89
Prallethrin
macrumors regular

Quote:
HP touchpad:
1.2 GHz
1 GB RAM

iPad 2:
1 GHz
512 MB RAM

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/08/19/hp-tested-webos-on-an-ipad-it-ran-over-twice-as-fast/

Yupe, spec is a great way to judge performance.
Prallethrin is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:30 AM   #90
Edd.Dantes
macrumors regular

I love my ipad 3 but have been so close to pulling the trigger on this. It's been hard not to.

The one thing that keeps me from clicking the "complete order" button is the RAM!

Apple and their RAM issues. Like a bad penny or a leaky roof, they just never go away.

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best. Does anyone have a slide rule at Apple? They have increased everything, except, wait for it... RAM!

Why? They want it to be obsolete sooner, rather than later. This is why I will wait the 6 months, or so, and get the 1.5/2GB RAM / A15 version.

RAM is dirt cheap and should scale with CPU/GPU increases.

My largest ipad 3 complaint is the same I had with the original ipad, RAM.

Look at the cost of iPhone 5 RAM: $10.45/GB

Apple, please, charge me an extra $10.45, so I can have 2GB
Hell, charge me $50.00, just give it to me! The ipad will never, and I mean never, compete with any laptop, so stop gimping it! Let it be FFS. Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/19/iphon...acturing-cost/

Edd.Dantes is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:31 AM   #91
SpidrWeb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Oh well, it was nice to have the fastest iOS device the month it lasted!
If you follow other posts there are certain apple stores allowing the "trade ins" from the iPad third gen to the iPad fourth gen if the iPad is within the 30 day bought period. So if the month you had it is in that range, you might want to look into that.
SpidrWeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:32 AM   #92
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTheThrone View Post
Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!!
Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....
With the nexus 10 getting a15 Apple needed this update asap.
nick_elt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:33 AM   #93
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Or Apple is just moving to a fall release...which makes more sense the first place.
Agreed! Together with the announcement that they kicked out John Forstall I think Apple is finally on a good track with Tim Cook as CEO! It makes perfect sense to introduce a new architecture with the iPhone in September and then have an upgraded iPad version of the chip in October.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:34 AM   #94
Mord
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallethrin View Post
This. iPhone 5's A6 has 3 GPU cores clocked at 266Mhz. It has the exact same graphics processing power as Sony's Playstation Vita - which has 4 GPU cores at 200Mhz.
I know.

Thanks for the info

Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:35 AM   #95
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd.Dantes View Post
I love my ipad 3 but have been so close to pulling the trigger on this. It's been hard not to.

The one thing that keeps me from clicking the "complete order" button is the RAM!

Apple and their RAM issues. Like a bad penny or a leaky roof, they just never go away.

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best. Does anyone have a slide rule at Apple? They have increased everything, except, wait for it... RAM!

Why? They want it to be obsolete sooner, rather than later. This is why I will wait the 6 months, or so, and get the 1.5/2GB RAM / A15 version.

RAM is dirt cheap and should scale with CPU/GPU increases.

My largest ipad 3 complaint is the same I had with the original ipad, RAM.

Look at the cost of iPhone 5 RAM: $10.45/GB

Apple, please, charge me an extra $10.45, so I can have 2GB
Hell, charge me $50.00, just give it to me! The ipad will never, and I mean never, compete with any laptop, so stop gimping it! Let it be FFS. Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/19/iphon...acturing-cost/

It took apple this long just to get 1 gig ram I doubt we will get 2gig in 6 months. I do agree with you 100% otherwise.
nick_elt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:43 AM   #96
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

6 month cycles are good because there will be two factions of iPad owners who update once a year and keep leapfrogging each other every 6 months.
inscrewtable is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:52 AM   #97
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Agreed! Together with the announcement that they kicked out John Forstall I think Apple is finally on a good track with Tim Cook as CEO! It makes perfect sense to introduce a new architecture with the iPhone in September and then have an upgraded iPad version of the chip in October.
Doesn't it make more sense to stagger your releases throughout the year so consumers don't feel taxed by purchasing multiple products? For instance, if I already ordered an iphone in Sep, I might hesitate about blowing a few more hundred a month later. What's there left that could be announced in March?
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:52 AM   #98
AlanFord
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd.Dantes View Post

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best.
Do agree on you, but if they do that, many people wouldnt buy a first, or even second interval of new products.
And thats how Apple marketing works (not just apple), they tell you how amazing and xy speedy then one before is, and in some ways force you to buy a new one soon.
They could put a A6x with 2gb chip in february release, but then most of people would be happy next 2-3 years, and that means less money.
Good 30% of ipad3 users will get the new one, even there is not that much reason for it.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:56 AM   #99
Isengardtom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
6 month cycles are good because there will be two factions of iPad owners who update once a year and keep leapfrogging each other every 6 months.
I very much doubt we'll see 6 month update cycles for iPads. They just want to avoid people not getting one during the holidays because the update is fairly shortly after that.
I think we'll only see updates for iPads, iPods and iPhones during the fall from now on.

Only Macs will potentially update on other time intervals.
Isengardtom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:59 AM   #100
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivetya View Post
After seeing the Nexus announcement I cancelled my iPad orders and will try out a Nexus 7 and 10. I am looking for gifts and Apple is frankly being priced out of that market for me. For the price difference the risk is well worth it and that feature set is great.
It's your money. Enjoy.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion