Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
I have a late 2011 21.5" iMac that I run a second monitor via the only Thunderbolt port. At some point I will want to try using a SSD external drive as a boot drive but I do not want to loose my external monitor.

Does anyone have experience with this type of setup and if so how well does it work or not work??

I'm concerned that as I have intermittent problems with the external monitor not waking up which requires that I pull the cable out of the back of the iMac that this might really cause horrible problems with an external drive.

Obviously the external drive would need to have a second port to allow daisy chaining.

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
Bump!

No responses even after so many views???!!

I've done some searching but have yet to find someone that is actually running that configuration. Surely there must be others out there that have either tried it or wanted to try?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Bump!

No responses even after so many views???!!

I've done some searching but have yet to find someone that is actually running that configuration. Surely there must be others out there that have either tried it or wanted to try?

If the monitor is a thunderbolt monitor you should be fine.
What drive are you looking at? It should be able to set up a config if we know what your setup is.

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
The monitor is a standard HP w2207 connected using an Apple Mini display port to DVI adapter.

I don't have any drive in mind, I'm hoping that someone has tested hardware that works well and wouldn't mind sharing their experience...

But basically it would have to be Thunderbolt with an in and out port in order to be able to daisy chain the HP monitor. The drive housing would need to support an SSD hopefully at full speed as I would want to use it as a boot drive.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It should work just fine as long as you buy a drive that has the second thunderbolt port for daisy chaining.

If you do have trouble with the monitor not waking up, I would unplug and replug it at the point where the monitor connects to the back of the disk drive, rather than where the disk drive connects to the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.