Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
locomotive282
macrumors newbie

Talking Finally got mine!

Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mac mini.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	373642   Click image for larger version

Name:	my system.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	373643  
locomotive282 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Poki
macrumors 6502a

Yep, the HD 4000 is really a stunning graphic chip. Just played a round Starcraft 2 2560x1440 resolution with most settings on high to ultra, only some (like shaders) on low and got constant 50 fps!
Poki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
stellan0r
macrumors member

Sounds great!
stellan0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.
Personally I don't know why you wouldn't upgrade the parts yourself. By sourcing my own SSD and 16gb of Memory I have saved over 200. Which is the only reason I can afford to buy the Mac Mini in the first place.

I know you have to us Trim Enabler to enable TRIM support when you first install your SSD but apart from that I can't think of any other reasons?
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
dogmusic
macrumors member

Quote:
Just hooked up mine to my system.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.
Did you use the HDMI port on the Mini to connect to your display?
dogmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
tablatom
macrumors member

Congrats mate!
Finally someone who actually has tried the Intel HD 4000 with the 2.6ghz.
And as it turns out, he's very happy with it.
I'm not a serious gamer, but i get bored with all the speculation of what somethings going to be like when its guess work.
Can't say i ever thought Apple was going to go downgrading with the mini's new graphics abilities.
2.6ghz 3 days away, yahoo.
tablatom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:32 PM   #7
jc244
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Just hooked up mine to my system.
Nice set up.
jc244 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:44 PM   #8
locomotive282
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Did you use the HDMI port on the Mini to connect to your display?
Yes I am using the HDMI out from the mini to my Onkyo Receiver than to my Sharp 70". No handshake issues so far.
locomotive282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:55 PM   #9
hugodrax
macrumors 6502a

Funny I have a sharp 70 as well. Great TV.
hugodrax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:03 PM   #10
locomotive282
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post
Funny I have a sharp 70 as well. Great TV.
I love it! I was a little hesitant to get it since I have only bought Pannys before, but Sharp is the only game in town. No one else makes a 70 that regular people can afford.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:58 PM   #11
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

Congrats!

Please tell me what the shipping weight was. I'm ordering overseas and would like to estimate the forwarding service based on the weight. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:03 PM   #12
z06gal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenerous View Post
Congrats!

Please tell me what the shipping weight was. I'm ordering overseas and would like to estimate the forwarding service based on the weight. Thanks

The shipping weight on mine is 4.9 lbs if that helps
z06gal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Reminisce32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended.
what keyboard and mouse are you using?
Reminisce32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:38 AM   #14
locomotive282
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisce32 View Post
what keyboard and mouse are you using?
I am using the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Track Pad. I definitely prefer the feel of a mouse but I felt that a mouse would be problematic to use on a sofa environment. The weird thing is that the magic track pad feels different to the track pad on my Mac book Pro mainly because of not being able to rest my wrist on the body of the laptop. The best part of the Magic tack Pad is all the real estate for gesturing that part works well. I am gonna try to get adjusted to the track pad a few more days if I still don't like it, I am gonna exchange it for the Magic Mouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyboard and Mouse.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	373839  
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:48 AM   #15
Dan in MD
macrumors newbie

My Mac Mini 2.6 with 2x256 SSD is coming today. I have 16GB of 1600MHz RAM from OWC on-hand to install.

I also like the Apple Track Pad and wireless keyboard.

Two products I use to hold them (I have more than one Mac) are:

BulletTrain Express
http://bullettrain.com/express.html

Ambidextrous Keyboard Tray
http://www.hekseskudd.com/default/pr...-trackpad.html
Dan in MD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:28 AM   #16
antithema
macrumors member

I will have the middle model tomorrow and the 16gb ram in a few days. iI am replacing a 2006 iMac, do you think there is gonna be a huge difference?
I will keep it like this for a year and maybe next year I will replace the HDD with an SSD.
antithema is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Garden4Gods
macrumors member

Quote:

How hot does it run and is it quiet in operation?
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:32 PM   #18
locomotive282
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in MD View Post
My Mac Mini 2.6 with 2x256 SSD is coming today. I have 16GB of 1600MHz RAM from OWC on-hand to install.

I also like the Apple Track Pad and wireless keyboard.

Two products I use to hold them (I have more than one Mac) are:

BulletTrain Express
http://bullettrain.com/express.html

Ambidextrous Keyboard Tray
http://www.hekseskudd.com/default/pr...-trackpad.html
Hey thanks for the link I am definitely gonna order the Bullet Train Express that is exactly what I need! $80 bucks is a lot to ask for it, but I don't want Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:49 PM   #19
locomotive282
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden4Gods View Post
How hot does it run and is it quiet in operation?
I am glad you asked that. I just finished the smoke test of the Mac Mini. I left it on all night doing SETI@Home. Processor use 100% for over 10 hours.

When I checked it this morning the Mac Mini was only slightly warm to the touch and the fan seemed to going at full blast.

Now fan noise is highly subjective issue but I would rate the fan to be a 3 out of 10 with 10 being my original X-Box 360. With the Mini inside my entertainment console I could barely hear it from my sofa. Up close and with door of my console open I could tell that it was on but the fan makes a very pleasant whooshing noise rather than a whiny fan noise like for example the PS3 original. The PS3 original fan is more quiet than the X-Box 360 but the pitch of the PS3 fan is so whiny and annoying.

The Mac Mini used in a desktop scenario should be fine as the only time the fan ever ramped up for me was during the torture test I subjected it to.

Since I know that noise is a deal breaker for some folks, let me know if you guys want a fan noise video.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithema View Post
I will have the middle model tomorrow and the 16gb ram in a few days. iI am replacing a 2006 iMac, do you think there is gonna be a huge difference?
I will keep it like this for a year and maybe next year I will replace the HDD with an SSD.
I replaced my 2006 iMac with the 2.3GHz Mini with 16GB RAM. I've just been doing normal things, nothing CPU-intensive. It is notably snappier and I am glad to be rid of Snow Leopard.

Last edited by Mojo1; Nov 1, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #21
antithema
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
I replaced my 2006 iMac with the 2.3GHz Mini with 16GB RAM. I've just been doing normal things, nothing CPU-intensive. It is notably snappier and I am glad to be rid of Snow Leopard.
I haven't installed the 16gb of ram yet (it's still with the 4gb standard ram) but it seems a bit slow right now, slower than my 2006 imac or the 2009 13.3 MacBook Pro (has SSD). I am a bit disappointed as I really wanted a quad core pc for a year now thinking that it will fly. I am thinking seriously to replace the HDD with a 256 SSD.
antithema is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:23 AM   #22
google0912
macrumors member

do you guys have more information on games, performancewise? MAybe Guild Wars 2 ?
google0912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:33 AM   #23
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by google0912 View Post
do you guys have more information on games, performancewise? MAybe Guild Wars 2 ?
There's a thread for this.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #24
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I love it! I was a little hesitant to get it since I have only bought Pannys before, but Sharp is the only game in town. No one else makes a 70 that regular people can afford.
I have the Sharp 80" and it is by far the best TV I have ever owned.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:36 AM   #25
pollaxe
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am using the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Track Pad.
Me too, though I'm using a Henge Docks' Clique to keep mine together.

pollaxe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini