Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
locomotive282
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson, CA
Talking Finally got mine!

Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mac mini.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	373642   Click image for larger version

Name:	my system.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	373643  
locomotive282 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Poki
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Yep, the HD 4000 is really a stunning graphic chip. Just played a round Starcraft 2 2560x1440 resolution with most settings on high to ultra, only some (like shaders) on low and got constant 50 fps!
Poki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
stellan0r
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Sounds great!
stellan0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4
That-Guy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.
Personally I don't know why you wouldn't upgrade the parts yourself. By sourcing my own SSD and 16gb of Memory I have saved over 200. Which is the only reason I can afford to buy the Mac Mini in the first place.

I know you have to us Trim Enabler to enable TRIM support when you first install your SSD but apart from that I can't think of any other reasons?
__________________
Mac Mini Late 2012 - 2.5GHz Core i5 - 16gb RAM - 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD + 500gb HDD
iPhone 5S | iPad Air | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Airport Express 3rd Gen
Website | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
dogmusic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
Just hooked up mine to my system.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.
Did you use the HDMI port on the Mini to connect to your display?
dogmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
tablatom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Congrats mate!
Finally someone who actually has tried the Intel HD 4000 with the 2.6ghz.
And as it turns out, he's very happy with it.
I'm not a serious gamer, but i get bored with all the speculation of what somethings going to be like when its guess work.
Can't say i ever thought Apple was going to go downgrading with the mini's new graphics abilities.
2.6ghz 3 days away, yahoo.
tablatom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:32 PM   #7
jc244
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
Just hooked up mine to my system.
Nice set up.
jc244 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:44 PM   #8
locomotive282
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Did you use the HDMI port on the Mini to connect to your display?
Yes I am using the HDMI out from the mini to my Onkyo Receiver than to my Sharp 70". No handshake issues so far.
locomotive282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:55 PM   #9
hugodrax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Funny I have a sharp 70 as well. Great TV.
hugodrax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:03 PM   #10
locomotive282
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post
Funny I have a sharp 70 as well. Great TV.
I love it! I was a little hesitant to get it since I have only bought Pannys before, but Sharp is the only game in town. No one else makes a 70 that regular people can afford.
locomotive282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:58 PM   #11
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a
 
TheGenerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm an Austronaut
Congrats!

Please tell me what the shipping weight was. I'm ordering overseas and would like to estimate the forwarding service based on the weight. Thanks
__________________
I have a cool Alf picture in my profile!
TheGenerous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:03 PM   #12
z06gal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenerous View Post
Congrats!

Please tell me what the shipping weight was. I'm ordering overseas and would like to estimate the forwarding service based on the weight. Thanks

The shipping weight on mine is 4.9 lbs if that helps
z06gal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Reminisce32
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended.
what keyboard and mouse are you using?
Reminisce32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:38 AM   #14
locomotive282
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisce32 View Post
what keyboard and mouse are you using?
I am using the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Track Pad. I definitely prefer the feel of a mouse but I felt that a mouse would be problematic to use on a sofa environment. The weird thing is that the magic track pad feels different to the track pad on my Mac book Pro mainly because of not being able to rest my wrist on the body of the laptop. The best part of the Magic tack Pad is all the real estate for gesturing that part works well. I am gonna try to get adjusted to the track pad a few more days if I still don't like it, I am gonna exchange it for the Magic Mouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyboard and Mouse.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	373839  
locomotive282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:48 AM   #15
Dan in MD
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
My Mac Mini 2.6 with 2x256 SSD is coming today. I have 16GB of 1600MHz RAM from OWC on-hand to install.

I also like the Apple Track Pad and wireless keyboard.

Two products I use to hold them (I have more than one Mac) are:

BulletTrain Express
http://bullettrain.com/express.html

Ambidextrous Keyboard Tray
http://www.hekseskudd.com/default/pr...-trackpad.html
Dan in MD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:28 AM   #16
antithema
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I will have the middle model tomorrow and the 16gb ram in a few days. iI am replacing a 2006 iMac, do you think there is gonna be a huge difference?
I will keep it like this for a year and maybe next year I will replace the HDD with an SSD.
antithema is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Garden4Gods
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended.
How hot does it run and is it quiet in operation?
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:32 PM   #18
locomotive282
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in MD View Post
My Mac Mini 2.6 with 2x256 SSD is coming today. I have 16GB of 1600MHz RAM from OWC on-hand to install.

I also like the Apple Track Pad and wireless keyboard.

Two products I use to hold them (I have more than one Mac) are:

BulletTrain Express
http://bullettrain.com/express.html

Ambidextrous Keyboard Tray
http://www.hekseskudd.com/default/pr...-trackpad.html
Hey thanks for the link I am definitely gonna order the Bullet Train Express that is exactly what I need! $80 bucks is a lot to ask for it, but I don't want Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

locomotive282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:49 PM   #19
locomotive282
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden4Gods View Post
How hot does it run and is it quiet in operation?
I am glad you asked that. I just finished the smoke test of the Mac Mini. I left it on all night doing SETI@Home. Processor use 100% for over 10 hours.

When I checked it this morning the Mac Mini was only slightly warm to the touch and the fan seemed to going at full blast.

Now fan noise is highly subjective issue but I would rate the fan to be a 3 out of 10 with 10 being my original X-Box 360. With the Mini inside my entertainment console I could barely hear it from my sofa. Up close and with door of my console open I could tell that it was on but the fan makes a very pleasant whooshing noise rather than a whiny fan noise like for example the PS3 original. The PS3 original fan is more quiet than the X-Box 360 but the pitch of the PS3 fan is so whiny and annoying.

The Mac Mini used in a desktop scenario should be fine as the only time the fan ever ramped up for me was during the torture test I subjected it to.

Since I know that noise is a deal breaker for some folks, let me know if you guys want a fan noise video.
locomotive282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithema View Post
I will have the middle model tomorrow and the 16gb ram in a few days. iI am replacing a 2006 iMac, do you think there is gonna be a huge difference?
I will keep it like this for a year and maybe next year I will replace the HDD with an SSD.
I replaced my 2006 iMac with the 2.3GHz Mini with 16GB RAM. I've just been doing normal things, nothing CPU-intensive. It is notably snappier and I am glad to be rid of Snow Leopard.

Last edited by Mojo1; Nov 1, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #21
antithema
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
I replaced my 2006 iMac with the 2.3GHz Mini with 16GB RAM. I've just been doing normal things, nothing CPU-intensive. It is notably snappier and I am glad to be rid of Snow Leopard.
I haven't installed the 16gb of ram yet (it's still with the 4gb standard ram) but it seems a bit slow right now, slower than my 2006 imac or the 2009 13.3 MacBook Pro (has SSD). I am a bit disappointed as I really wanted a quad core pc for a year now thinking that it will fly. I am thinking seriously to replace the HDD with a 256 SSD.
antithema is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:23 AM   #22
google0912
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
do you guys have more information on games, performancewise? MAybe Guild Wars 2 ?
google0912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:33 AM   #23
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by google0912 View Post
do you guys have more information on games, performancewise? MAybe Guild Wars 2 ?
There's a thread for this.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #24
wlossw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
I love it! I was a little hesitant to get it since I have only bought Pannys before, but Sharp is the only game in town. No one else makes a 70 that regular people can afford.
I have the Sharp 80" and it is by far the best TV I have ever owned.
__________________
rMBP Mid-2012 2.7/16/512, Thunderbolt Display, Iphone 6 128GB, IPAD 4th gen 64GB WiFi, IPAD mini Retina 128GB LTE 6x Apple-Tv 3rd Gen
wlossw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:36 AM   #25
pollaxe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West of England
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
I am using the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Track Pad.
Me too, though I'm using a Henge Docks' Clique to keep mine together.

pollaxe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I bet you I get mine before you! tmanto02 iPhone 13 Sep 20, 2013 01:02 PM
What's mine is mine - Using Lion on multiple computers dswallace Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 1 Dec 17, 2012 03:31 AM
Just got mine ordered OTACORB iPad 47 Oct 26, 2012 03:44 PM
I got Mine. CLONE yours! rantingrich Mac Pro 14 Aug 15, 2012 07:21 PM
I Got Mine! - Now the Memory Question? not1lost iMac 8 Jul 5, 2012 11:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC