Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1
tigres
macrumors 68040

Lucas Sells Star Wars to Disney!

Wow,
Did not see this coming...

Link

Star Wars 7 in 2015. The generation will live on...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
twietee
macrumors 68030

Interesting, but for the younger generations I guess. Lost interest after Episode I to be honest, saw the others but not even in cinema. Couldn't even say what the last one was like or if I actually saw it.

On the other hand, I'd personally be highly interested in an unedited collection of IV-VI.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Oh joy, more Jar-Jar Binks.

But seriously, I wonder how Disney will treat the extended universe?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Steve Jobs paid total of $50 million to buy and operate Pixar from George Lucas. About 20 years later, Disney paid $7.4 billion to acquire Pixar, nearly double the sum it paid to acquire Lucasfilm ($4.05 billion).

Meanwhile, Jobs estates own about 7% of Disney (worth about $90 billion).
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Interesting, but for the younger generations I guess. Lost interest after Episode I to be honest, saw the others but not even in cinema. Couldn't even say what the last one was like or if I actually saw it.

On the other hand, I'd personally be highly interested in an unedited collection of IV-VI.
would be nice, but any reproduction would come from a VHS as the original masters are no more.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
twietee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
would be nice, but any reproduction would come from a VHS as the original masters are no more.
Are you sure? What a mess! There was a LaserDisc version once I think. Anyway, I'd buy it if came frome VHS, too. Until then, I'll stay with Harmy's despecialized version....
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B

Disney buying Lucasfilm? New Star Wars movies? The fabled Episodes 7-9?
Is it April Fool's Day?
Darth.Titan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Mord
macrumors G4

Seemingly it's legit news.

On the one hand, I'm pleased that George Lucas will no longer have any creative input to the films, on the other I'm not sure disney will do any better.

I guess we'll see.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:28 PM   #9
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

We might see the same amount of spin-offs/remake as with Star Trek ... Next generation, voyager, Enterprise ... But fine for me ... Just put it on iTunes for a reasonable price
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Anuba
macrumors 68040

I was milliseconds from calling "April fools!" in October.

I'm torn... I waited for the prequel trilogy for 16 years, and as I sat there in 1999 watching an anticlimax of epic proportions violate my senses as gungans hurled blue balls at vacuum cleaners with legs, I thought to myself... "What the hell is this Disney ************?!?"

Now I'm like "Yay! The sequel trilogy I always wanted!"... followed by "Hold on... the prequel trilogy sucked and now it's LITERALLY turning into Disney BS... so why am I excited?"

Oh well, who knows. Maybe they'll do much better than Lucas did, and restore the franchise to its former glory.
Anuba is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:45 PM   #11
marc11
macrumors 68000

Maybe we can finally buy the movies in hd from iTunes.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:50 PM   #12
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Oh joy, more Jar-Jar Binks.
Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. This seems like great news to me, the Star Wars universe is really interesting and full of potential...and now other people can make movies and other content without GL's bad taste messing it up.

Don't get me wrong, GL was brilliant when he was young. He just had a major change in his sensibilities in the couple decades he took off from filmmaking. I suspect they could have made a much better Indy 4 (and probably no aliens) without having to pander to what he wanted.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Mavimao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
I'm sorry, but as a member of originaltrilogy.com, this is complete horsesh** falsely propogated by Lucas himself to somehow belittle the original films he has since disowned - despite the cultural milestones they represent.

The original effects negatives are indeed faded beyond belief due to an unstable filmstock used (one of the many reasons why the "restoration" was carried out in the mid 90s), but seperation masters and first generation IPs exist, not to mention - in "the worst case scenario" - privately owned copies of low fade 35mm prints of the original trilogy. All of the sources I mentioned are of MUCH greater quality than the DVNRd, non anamorphic laserdisc master Lucas tossed on as a bonus feature on the DVD rerelease.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #14
twietee
macrumors 68030

Thanks Mavimao. At least hope ain't completely lost, but looking at Disney cutting, editing, manipulating, re-dubbing movie history - Fantasia or The Black Cauldron comes to mind - little faith is gained. At some point it will happen I'd guess, for the sake of $$$$.

Besides, I think this is good news for everybody who could get along with I-III.
I remember driving to the cinema with a friend, talking about how often we'd going to watch this movie (Episode I) in the theatres, as we were too young for the 'originals'. Well, not so much.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:23 PM   #15
robanga
macrumors 68000

I have nothing against Disney, indeed i like a lot of what they do but industry consolidation often reduces choices even if it does improve things for investors.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:27 PM   #16
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Holy ****!! If this is true, this is huge! 2015 seems really close though!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:53 PM   #17
eric/

Episode I sucked, Episode II was mediocre, and Episode III was great until the last 3 minutes.

I have high expectations. Disney isn't going to mess this up in the same way Episode I was messed up. They may screw it up, but we won't see any dumb Jar Jar Binks crap again.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:10 PM   #18
RawBert
macrumors 68000

This is the best Star Wars news in a VERY long time.
Finally we'll get more movies!!!! FINALLY.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:24 PM   #19
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBert View Post
This is the best Star Wars news in a VERY long time.
Finally we'll get more movies!!!! FINALLY.
I agree... they are also mentioning they want to release a movie ever two years or so. Wow. Ambitious.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:36 PM   #20
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Thanks Mavimao. At least hope ain't completely lost, but looking at Disney cutting, editing, manipulating, re-dubbing movie history - Fantasia or The Black Cauldron comes to mind - little faith is gained. At some point it will happen I'd guess, for the sake of $$$$.

Besides, I think this is good news for everybody who could get along with I-III.
I remember driving to the cinema with a friend, talking about how often we'd going to watch this movie (Episode I) in the theatres, as we were too young for the 'originals'. Well, not so much.
But remember, Disney also is responsible for things like Thor and The Avengers. So long as Star Wars is handled properly, I'm actually less worried about Disney controlling it than I am about Lucas controlling it.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:04 PM   #21
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuba View Post
I was milliseconds from calling "April fools!" in October.

I'm torn... I waited for the prequel trilogy for 16 years, and as I sat there in 1999 watching an anticlimax of epic proportions violate my senses as gungans hurled blue balls at vacuum cleaners with legs, I thought to myself... "What the hell is this Disney ************?!?"

Now I'm like "Yay! The sequel trilogy I always wanted!"... followed by "Hold on... the prequel trilogy sucked and now it's LITERALLY turning into Disney BS... so why am I excited?"

Oh well, who knows. Maybe they'll do much better than Lucas did, and restore the franchise to its former glory.
Agree, I thought it either a joke or a misinformed story, that changed as it was circulating the 'net, Chinese whisper style.

But just watched a YouTube video, with George Lucas stating this very news. Can't be anymore definitive than coming from the horse's mouth!

http://youtu.be/YyqlTi7lkhY

I'm still torn, after the huge violation that was the Star Wars Prequels, it seemed SW had suffered poor input from a long out of touch filmmaker: George Lucas. Forever indebted that he created this universe but really not happy when he made nothing else for many years, then jumped back into the director's chair, surrounded by 'yes' people (no one in their right mind contradicted Lucas during the prequels' productions; they couldn't and wouldn't!).

So perhaps under the helm new, fresher, and hopefully more talented filmmakers, this Sequel Trilogy can deliver the SW films so many wanted! Including me.
BlueParadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:09 PM   #22
Poonz
macrumors member

Finally more Star Wars I hope Disney treats it with more respect than Lucas did when he made he prequels. It's a cash cow for Disney and great movie experience waiting to happen if they do it right.
Poonz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:32 PM   #23
joepunk
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to joepunk
This could be good or not. Only Disney knows. If there is going to be new movies I'd love it if they could create something with new characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Episode I sucked, Episode II was mediocre, and Episode III was great until the last 3 minutes.

I have high expectations. Disney isn't going to mess this up in the same way Episode I was messed up. They may screw it up, but we won't see any dumb Jar Jar Binks crap again.
The more I watched Episode I the more I liked it. Though there are parts that I still don't care for such as the midichlorian count explanation, or the stiff acting of the boy, or the annoying idea that fear in a child who is separated from his mother is a bad thing and therefore he can't be a jedi, and so much more. But overall it grew on me.

Now Episode II I didn't care for at all. No where in the story did I begin to care for any of the characters. They all could have died and I wouldn't have cared.

Episode III was much better than II.

Flickr
joepunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Don't get me wrong, GL was brilliant when he was young. He just had a major change in his sensibilities in the couple decades he took off from filmmaking. I suspect they could have made a much better Indy 4 (and probably no aliens) without having to pander to what he wanted.
I sometimes wonder if the original Star Wars was a fluke and that his sensibilities were screwed up all along. The limitations of late 70's technology as well as budget constraints forced him to make a movie that was much less than he wanted... which may have been exactly the resistance he needed to make a great movie.

20 years later, when technology and budget gave him total freedom, he was able to transfer his vision verbatim from his mind to the screen, no holds barred... and his vision turned out to be awful.
Anuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:40 PM   #25
lizardofwoz
macrumors regular

Lucas stated - many years ago - that he intended to produce 9 Star Wars episodes.

I cannot imagine a Disney take on this series...

Depp in Pirates of Tatooine?
lizardofwoz is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion