Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:29 PM   #251
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
I realize Google is doing an internet search, but the point is, it DOES the internet search! Siri stops, waits, and asks if I want to do an internet search rather than just providing the answer. So it's another step (yes or button press) to continue. Again, contributing to my point of the speed of the Google app.
I don't disagree the Google app is faster. There are some things I really like about the Google app (speed is a big one).

I like that Siri has Wolfram Alpha results built in because it expands the search possibilities immensely. Sometimes you have to explicity tell it to use Wolfram, but I've found most of the time you can just do a query and it'll check automatically.

Because of the WA integration, I can ask Siri things like "How long would it take to drive 600 miles at 55mph?" (GVS returns a bunch of random search results, the first of which is some algebra word problem site).

Or I can say, "How much fat is in 3 eggs and 2 slices of bacon?" (GVS again returns a bunch of irrelevent web results)

etc.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:30 PM   #252
penguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahaz View Post
No such option available on the iPhone 4. Maybe 4s and 5 but not on the iPhone 4

Looked for an update to the app and couldn't find one so I uninstalled and installed again. Still no joy on the voice playback.

I have even gone into the International settings and changed from English (Australian) to English(US) and still no sound.
When I first read the article I tried my google app and the search worked but no voice...so I checked and there was an update...it now works...and as others have stated, it is quite fast...so I'm not sure what's going on with yours.

keep checking for an update?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:47 PM   #253
Swift
macrumors 6502a

The telling moment

I said, where's the closest Staples? It understood me quickly, and it found the closest Staples and displayed it in a google search result. Great. Clicking on it for directions? Not so fun. You're taken to maps.google.com. You get a list of turns.

Time to link to the Google Maps app, with street view. Can't do it.
Swift is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:49 PM   #254
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Meh. I'm on an iPhone 4 now and my iPhone 5 should be coming the week of Thanksgiving. I'll wait until then so I can use the real Siri.

In the meantime, I'll use Siri Alpha (Voice Control) on my iPhone 4. It works well when calling people and getting music to play.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:52 PM   #255
sum1
macrumors newbie

Faster than siri

Almost instant response unlike siri. I had times where i waited almost a minute before i got feedback from siri.
sum1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 PM   #256
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Side-by-side comparison from Gizmodo (for those too stubborn to try it for themselves):
http://updates.gizmodo.com/post/3465...he-best-iphone
Impressive! Here's where GOOGLE has a huge advantage with their sophisticated search engine. This is a market APPLE must enter, sooner rather than later, to ensure their long-term viability, or they're going to forever rely on third party search engines. Not a good place to be. The 'information age' we think we live in, is going to be MUCH MORE information based in the future. SIRI is just an 'awkward' rudimentary first step, and a small taste of what's to come.

If APPLE is to survive as a MAJOR player in the long term, it is IMPERATIVE, imho, that in addition to their current endeavors, they enter the SEARCH business, or they will eventually be relegated to second class status in the grand scheme of technology. And I'm not saying next month, but ten, twenty years from now. They have the financial resources, and their entry into this new direction can't come soon enough.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:13 PM   #257
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewolyp View Post
Oh, so we need new phones such as GS3 or Galaxy nexus to run the app smoothly??
I used to own the GS2 and that **** had issues.
devilstrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 PM   #258
RooooG
macrumors newbie

Advantages:

1) Voice: The google voice is very natural, not like the Siri voice that sounds identical to the voices we got on Macs in the early 90s (you know, you'd type a toilet joke and press Command-H, then listen to the computer try to pronounce 'booger')

2) Speed: Holy CRAP, this thing not only recognizes speech INSTANTLY but processes the results INSTANTLY...biggest factor

3) Recognition: even without my 'Siri' voice it nails it, looks like it's using context clues to decide between words I might be saying and does an excellent job

Disadvantages:

1) Not integrated into iOS like Siri is

The one disadvantage is the reason I won't be using it much or at all, sort of like the GMail app. But this shows that Siri can be so much better and damned well better be if it's going to appear in a premium product. Siri does *work* but its performance is embarrassing in comparison.
RooooG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:21 PM   #259
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
So you're one of the about 18 people who bought a Nexus? Lucky you And I've used a GS3 before, still more laggy than my old iPhone 3G. At least I can pan about websites, PDF's, and scroll through lists without there being a seconds delay on my "out of date iPhone 5". For a seemingly amazing device, the GS3 sure does suck a lot Again, I'll stick with my iPhone
Yep. Got rid of my iphone 3gs and iphone and got the Galaxy nexus and never looked back.
devilstrider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:29 PM   #260
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

In my brief play-around with this, I'll say:

1) Response times for me were about the same, sometimes a bit faster. I asked both about NYC weather tomorrow, and both gave me almost instantaneous responses.
2) Voice recognition seems about the same as Siri. Mostly very good, but some trip-ups.
3) Do not like the voice. Very tinny, often robotic. But I don't like Siri's voice much either.
4) Their graphical presentation is improving. Weather screen looks nice.

Ultimately, it still feels like a voice interface to their search engine. And that's exactly what it is. It is not anything approaching an intelligent agent. Of course, neither yet is Siri, but at least that is Apple's long-term goal.

Last edited by petsounds; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: (app store originally served me an old version, comments edited to reflect new version)
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:50 PM   #261
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR999 View Post
That's because apps can't access those functions.
Stating why it is limited doesn't make it any less limited.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:55 PM   #262
bsforever
macrumors newbie

Had to come back to this article after playing with the new Google Voice search app on iOS – and I must say it’s an absolutely pleasure to use. Quick, and very accurate. I am a huge Apple fan and remain so, but right now Google voice recognition tech bests them completely. Game on!
bsforever is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:14 AM   #263
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
I find it extremely amusing to see that Google produces higher quality Apps for iOS than it does for its own Android platform.
aahahahahahah
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:24 AM   #264
hot spare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
So almost Google Now? So basically, whenever a fandroid says iOS and Siri are inferior and Google Now is so much better, you can remind them that we iOS users now have the best of both worlds.
I think you are clearly unaware of Google Now. This is (voice-enabled) Google search, Google Now is something totally different.

Google Now isn't possible in iOS as Google can never have access to iOS services like it can have it on Android. It's not just a simple app.
hot spare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:29 AM   #265
skunnykart
macrumors regular

This effort from Google is pretty good actually.
Not saying it's perfect but it's pretty impressive.

This is what Siri should have been like.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:30 AM   #266
hot spare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmart2 View Post
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.
It's just a matter of being allowed access to iOS services. Siri on the other hand needs to learn Google's ability to instant search and knowledge graph. Bing has been trying this for last 5 years, still can't match google.

Remember this is Google Search -- not Google NOW!
hot spare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:31 AM   #267
ddelapp
macrumors newbie

The new Google Search doesn't mention Steve Jobs name verbally.

http://youtu.be/u9h23opYX8g
ddelapp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:52 AM   #268
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
Better question is how many of those things does Siri actually do well, the first time you say it? Answer is 0.

----------

If apple let any other voice assistant access these tasks, you know they'd be a ton better. Since they don't, this does everything else A LOT better than Siri.
Holy exaggeration Batman!

I just asked Siri to play Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" and it worked on the first try.

Maybe it was a glitch?
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:03 AM   #269
iSamurai
macrumors 65816

Man... Apple should really open up the OS and allow us to choose the defaults for Siri, Maps and Safari... in this case the google voice search can then do other stuff like scheduling a calendar and reminders etc.

But you may ask why not just use an android phone? well as mentioned by other posters earlier apple is really good at designing hardware. the OS and apps ecosystem are also better. it's just one of those things google+apple can make the overall user experience that much better compared to a product designed by just one of them.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:36 AM   #270
tripmusic
macrumors member

Hmm... I'll download it and check it out for sh**s and giggles, but I don't even use Siri anymore. I used Siri for about a month and it is useful for certain things, but turning it off saves battery life which is most important to me. Yeah, I definitely don't want to be one of those people talking to their iphone out in public. Not cool. I would say the best feature that I liked about Siri is iMessaging. It used to be Microsoft vs Apple. Now it's Goggle/Samsung vs Apple. Can't we all just get along?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:33 AM   #271
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR999 View Post
That's because apps can't access those functions.
can ya imagine the day where Apple opens up its system and give USERS the rights to permit which app has what access to protected parts of the system?

I can dream.. can't I?
mobilebuddha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:33 AM   #272
dai.hop
macrumors member

The voice search implementation in this app is far superior to Siri in my opinion. It even understands my Welsh accent!

My only criticism is that I don't appear to be getting a many maps in my UK results. For example, when I ask "Where's my nearest McDonald's", I just get search results.
dai.hop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:01 AM   #273
mrbyu
macrumors regular

Maan, I really have to admit that the voice recognition system is amazing in this one compared to Siri... unfortunately it cannot give intelligent answers/results if I'm searching in hungarian, it only recognises the words, but it's doing it perfectly!!!

And if I'm speaking in english, it's unbelievebly fast and accurate. Now I'm a little bit disappointed with Siri after seeing this one...
mrbyu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:21 AM   #274
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

Talking

my iPhone 4 love this app!

thank u Google!

and the Google's icon replaces nicely Safari's.

very nice!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:22 AM   #275
blinkin182
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timshundo View Post
As a heavy Siri user, I've been using Google's voice search all day and I'm pretty impressed. I've always defended Siri but this blows it out of the water for simpler requests (not maps/reminder/alarm/etc related).
Agreed and I must say, we're getting the better deal: the best of both worlds

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion