Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
aaronvan
macrumors 6502

Climate change is here to stay.

Think about it. We in the First World will never surrender our fossil fuel energy-based lifestyle and the Second and Third World populations will never stop trying to enjoy the luxeries that we take for granted. You and I are not going stop driving, stop purchasing disposable computer crap, or do anything that crimps our lifestyle. Furthermore, there is only one zero-greenhouse emission energy source that can possibly meet the baseload power requirements that fossil fuel provides and that source is nuclear fission. Not solar panels, not windmills. Only nuclear power can replace fossil fuels. Unfortunately, the so-called “green” movement dogmatically rejects nuclear power.

In summary, we’re not going to stop climate change so we better learn to live with it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronvan View Post
In summary, we’re not going to stop climate change so we better learn to live with it.
That's a pretty defeatist attitude.

I believe we can face big problems like Climate Change and do our best to ameliorate them.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Hey man, great thread! Thanks for really elaborating on why climate change is here to stay! The climate has been changing since the beginning of time. Why not call it what you left-wing [...] used to call it? Global warming. Lipstick. Pig.

Last edited by balamw; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: name-calling
haxrnick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
Hey man, great thread! Thanks for really elaborating on why climate change is here to stay! The climate has been changing since the beginning of time. Why not call it what you left-wing [...] used to call it? Global warming. Lipstick. Pig.
Sticking your head in the Sandy, eh?

Last edited by balamw; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: name-calling in quote
Thomas Veil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:56 PM   #5
MyDesktopBroke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
They are different phenomena.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...ther_name.html
http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...al-warming.htm

Last edited by balamw; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Name-calling in quote
MyDesktopBroke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

Well if we're supposed to "live with it". We better start investing in some better infrastructure eh ?

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:32 PM   #7
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Think about it. We in the First World will never surrender our fossil fuel energy-based lifestyle and the Second and Third World populations will never stop trying to enjoy the luxeries that we take for granted. You and I are not going stop driving, stop purchasing disposable computer crap, or do anything that crimps our lifestyle. Furthermore, there is only one zero-greenhouse emission energy source that can possibly meet the baseload power requirements that fossil fuel provides and that source is nuclear fission. Not solar panels, not windmills. Only nuclear power can replace fossil fuels. Unfortunately, the so-called “green” movement dogmatically rejects nuclear power.

If it makes you feel any better Global Warming (now global climate change due to temp fluctuations, and some for the cooler) has been dis proven time and again. It has become such big business now that it is profitable that Global Climate change exist. Keep the rumor going and we can make more money.
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:38 PM   #8
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
If it makes you feel any better Global Warming (now global climate change due to temp fluctuations, and some for the cooler) has been dis proven time and again. It has become such big business now that it is profitable that Global Climate change exist. Keep the rumor going and we can make more money.
You sure do live in some sort of alternate reality don't you? It's a proven fact that the ocean temps are rising. It is a proven fact that polar ice is melting. It's a proven fact that we are experiencing more violent tropical weather farther north more frequently. What part of that is lost on you?
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
That's a pretty defeatist attitude.

I believe we can face big problems like Climate Change and do our best to ameliorate them.
Hook line and sinker.

"Global warming is here. Man is changing the planet. Buy carbon offset credits, quick!"

Oops. We got caught falsifying the data.....

"Global climate change is here. Man s changing the planet. Buy carbon offset credits, quick!"

The gullibility of so many is so sad.
thewitt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
You sure do live in some sort of alternate reality don't you? It's a proven fact that the ocean temps are rising. It is a proven fact that polar ice is melting. It's a proven fact that we are experiencing more violent tropical weather farther north more frequently. What part of that is lost on you?
http://reasonabledoubtclimate.wordpr...-temperatures/

I know...it doesn't support your claims, so it must an unreliable link. I will save you the trouble as that tends to be the response.
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Hook line and sinker.

Why are you bringing religion into this?
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:52 PM   #12
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I know...it doesn't support your claims, so it must an unreliable link. I will save you the trouble as that tends to be the response.
Reality supports my claim. Each summer more and more of the ice melts up north. Places that have not seen glacial melt before are now seeing it. And then there are the storms that are there for all to see...if you would just open your eyes. But yeah, it's much better to stick your head in the sand and joke about it instead, right? Just like this guy:

MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:10 PM   #13
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I hate to admit it ... but I will take some delight as people like you are marginalized to the fringe.

It seems like the perfect place for you to reside.
citizenzen is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:27 PM   #14
quasinormal
Banned

Why should the state cater for citizens capable of providing for themselves?

The whole paradigm of energy production has completely changed over the last ten years with technologies like solar, wind, tri/bi generation etc etc.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Oh yeah, HUGE business compared to the crummy little cottage industry that is the oil industry. Green energy startups have so much marketing muscle compared to the oil industry, too... those poor oil guys can barely afford PR and marketing. Then again, the oil industry has no important stake in this matter, so why would they spend resources on PR?

In other news, a 9-legged fluorescent monkey flew in through my window and recited Poe while performing a traditional sarcastic dance.
Anuba is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:23 AM   #16
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Never happened.

Quote:
Man s changing the planet
Are you actually attempting to suggest that we aren't changing the planet? I assume all these buildings, highways, mines, oil wells, power lines existed before we showed up?

Of course we're changing the planet.

Quote:
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

----------

Quote:

No if claims do not stand up to scientific rigor and examination I ignore them. If a claim is counter to my beliefs but is based on sound science I include it into my considerations.

EDIT: Oh and I'll explain to you why your website is BS. You can manipulate averages by taking sample sizes which are too small.

For example if I wan't to calculate the yearly annual income of a bartender, and I go to a bar on New Years Eve and ask the bartender how much he/she made that night, and they tell me $2000.00 dollars. I then multiply that by 365 and come to the conclusion that the bartender makes 730,000 dollars per year.

Do you see how my logic is flawed?

Last edited by AP_piano295; Nov 8, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
AP_piano295 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:26 AM   #17
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Hook line and sinker.

"Global warming is here. Man is changing the planet. Buy carbon offset credits, quick!"

"Global climate change is here. Man s changing the planet. Buy carbon offset credits, quick!"

It's amazing that you automatically think that we're in favor of a carbon market. I personally just see it as a way for big business to pay measly amounts rather than clean up their processes.

But hey, whatever your filter tells you.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:31 PM   #18
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hook line and sinker.

Except that those researches have been vindicated by the NSF OIG and other investigative bodies OVER and OVER and OVER.

No one falsified anything. Period.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Except that those researches have been vindicated by the NSF OIG and other investigative bodies OVER and OVER and OVER.

No one falsified anything. Period.
except for thewitt and reality, of course...
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:43 PM   #20
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

The United States needs to embrace more coal and natural gasoline for energy production.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:47 PM   #21
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
The United States needs to embrace more coal and natural gasoline for energy production.
And how do you balance that need with the need to deal with Climate Change?

Is it even an issue with you?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 PM   #22
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And how do you balance that need with the need to deal with Climate Change?

Is it even an issue with you?
Cheap and reliable energy is what lays the infrastructure for job growth and innovation. Green energy is neither of these with an exception of hydro-power. I'm more concerned about the fact that much of the job market is unstable at the moment with people living one day to the next. Coal production should increase where possible and natural gasoline exploration should continue and the extraction and use of this resource should increase. In the United States alone we have enough natural gasoline to last for centuries at current energy usage.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:31 PM   #23
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
Cheap and reliable energy is what lays the infrastructure for job growth and innovation. Green energy is neither of these with an exception of hydro-power. I'm more concerned about the fact that much of the job market is unstable at the moment with people living one day to the next. Coal production should increase where possible and natural gasoline exploration should continue and the extraction and use of this resource should increase. In the United States alone we have enough natural gasoline to last for centuries at current energy usage.
Or in other words, Climate Change is not at all an issue with you.

Okay.

That's cool ... I guess.

I was just curious.

Edit: I do want to add one thing ...

I live in Northern California, in a region historically known for its timber and fishing. For decades people looked at these resources and took a "jobs first" attitude towards them. Then the timber ran out. Then the fish ran out. Then the jobs ran out.

"Jobs first" (in my book) is no way to create a sustainable future. Sure jobs are important. But they shouldn't be prioritized over the everything else. If we don't plan for the long term, then reality catches up to us pretty quickly.

Last edited by citizenzen; Nov 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:32 AM   #24
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I sure hope you don't live on the Jersey Shore or North Carolina coast.

There was a recent FrontLine that was all about climate obfuscation. Pretty interesting. "Climate of Doubt":

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...mate-of-doubt/
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:39 AM   #25
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Eh, to say that the "green movement dogmatically rejects nuclear power" is incorrect.

In 2007, the co-founder of Greenpeace no-less is the co-chairman of the Nuclear Energy Institute's Clean and Safe Energy Coalition. In Sept. he went to Iowa State to speak about nuclear energy.

Here's also a 2006 from NPR about the green movement's shift toward nuclear energy as a solution.

Quote:
Quote:
Hook line and sinker.

Yes, but who's the fish? Because I see two flounders struggling against the line.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues