Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
England
Just managed to get a DVT Logic board from the iBook white for a few $ - it's non working apparently but I need to get a donor iBook to test it.

Pics:
2r5w1zo.jpg

2nw351s.jpg

Having looked at images on google and some chip spec docs, looks like it has an older revision apple chip, and a non Tray IBM 750CXE 500 Mhz CPU with a lead/plastic BGA mix as opposed to the standard one.

From the board it looks like a 64 MB RAM version.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
England
Current progress...

OK, Been gradually getting prepared to try and fix/test this board, I'm hoping it's just a case of clamping the ATI card down :D

I've just ordered a "dead" iBook G3 12" to test and an AC adapter. I'll post any progress here.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Good luck. :eek:

Not the nicest machine to try to get a test-bed together.

I'm curious, if you manage to get it to boot up, what System Profiler says about various devices and versions/revisions.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Apple and IBM chips next to each other, on the same board. Sold by Apple. My, how times change. (And continue to change.) Yes, this was a long time ago now. But at one time - for a long time - this would have been utterly unthinkable. it just kind of brings it into sharp focus seeing that board.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
OK, Been gradually getting prepared to try and fix/test this board, I'm hoping it's just a case of clamping the ATI card down :D

I've just ordered a "dead" iBook G3 12" to test and an AC adapter. I'll post any progress here.

I had a feeling someone on this board bought this after I saw the completed listing, and boom, here it is lol Good luck with the repair, and be careful with the reflow, the worst thing you can do is go too hot and blister the chips. I'd suggest doing a test repair on the iBook your ordered before attacking this board

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
England
Hey all, thought I'd give you an update- haven't made much progress as yet. The broken iBook appears to have a failed HDD, and nothing worse. I haven't got round to taking it apart yet (main hobby is bringing up a young one at the moment), but hope to get some dismantling time near Christmas. If it turns out to be the likely graphics chip, I have a couple of acquantances who work in electronic engineering/repair so might try and beg some of their time if it comes to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.