Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:05 AM   #51
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtafoua View Post
The reviews are in: the 4th gen iPad does in fact have a lighting connector.
Yes. That's how you can tell the difference between a 4th gen iPad and a half-as-fast 3rd gen iPad without turning them on.
doelcm82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:16 AM   #52
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

I am looking at one for college but heat dissipation and weight have me concerned. My iPad 2 is thinner, lighter, quick, cool, and has great battery life.

Has anyone actually held one in a store? What is the temperature like? What about the heft?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:18 AM   #53
koban4max
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsimmons View Post
Safari seems snappier. ;-)
that was what many people said about ipad 2 and ipad 3.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:20 AM   #54
digiguy23
macrumors member

My iPad 3 works great. The iPad 4 is not worth the upgrade right now. No doubt the iPad 5 will be better. Rather save up and get that one. But I did get the iPad mini for travel.
digiguy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:40 AM   #55
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
In case your interested, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas for sale.
But wait.......If you act now ...........
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:30 AM   #56
HardRain
macrumors member

Bring on the 5th gen! My 3rd gen works well, is fast and I couldn't care less for a HD front facing camera, or new connector. Those complaining about the quick update really shouldn't. If it still works as well as it did the other week then it's all good. In another 7 months or so, the new one will come out, 20% lighter and with other improvements, then upgrade. Easy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
I am looking at one for college but heat dissipation and weight have me concerned. My iPad 2 is thinner, lighter, quick, cool, and has great battery life.

Has anyone actually held one in a store? What is the temperature like? What about the heft?
The heat is not a big problem. Only on a warm day, with screen brightness turned up fully, does it begin to get warm-hot. The weight however I would see as a slight issue. It is by no means uncomfortable, however for prolonged holding, later in the day when you're looking to relax, it can feel a bit cumbersome. In a year or two as they get lighter, I'm sure we'll look back and think that it was quite a heavy device.
HardRain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:40 AM   #57
Pyrrhic Victory
macrumors regular

The real question is:

I feel like technology is developing too fast for people to keep up. I know that sounds crazy but it would be nice to limit new products to once a year.

Edit...there is no question, I changed my mind on what to write about...lol
Pyrrhic Victory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:56 AM   #58
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product?

(Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)
The craze of having to own the latest thing will wear off, although I don't think Apple is relying on those that upgrade every generation to drive the majority of their growth. If that was the case, I doubt they would have brought out a new one so quickly. I don't understand why the ipad 2 is still there at an identical price point. Perhaps the 3 cost too much to replace it at the $400 mark at Apple's desired margins.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:22 AM   #59
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
The only thing I want to know: does it still get "hot" in your hands like the 3rd gen does? First gen always pleasantly cool to the touch.
if you use a smart case you wont notice it at all.

Last edited by nick_elt; Oct 31, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
nick_elt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:26 AM   #60
vmistery
macrumors regular

As long as they don't bring out the iPhone 6 in 7 months I am happy. Saying that I just gave my 3GS to my sister who has never had a smartphone. She is just amazed it has built in wifi and can go on the net.
vmistery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:33 AM   #61
BiteMyApple
macrumors member

iPhone 5 still looks awkward to me. Still not ready to consider an upgrade from the 4s.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:46 AM   #62
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
I was surprised today so see how functional my 1st gen iPad was.

I can't imagine upgrading to this beast of a mother...

iPad 2 was like 7x as iPad 1
iPad 3 was like 2x as fast as iPad 2
and now the iPad 4 is like 2x faster than the iPad 3...
Ipad 3 is about the same as the 2, it just has more ram and quad core graphics to run all the extra pixels. They both have dual core a5's

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
that was what many people said about ipad 2 and ipad 3.
Dude, they have been saying that for every product / software update since almost safari was made
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:43 AM   #63
Newjackboy
macrumors member

For certain - ipad 5th will have a new exterior design

The uncertainty- is when it will be released? Around march or october 2013?

If october- it would be strange, I think, to introduce a new ipad and ipad mini at the same event next year. UNLESS, the next ipad mini is identical to one being released tomorrow with upgraded specs/ retina screen?
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:52 AM   #64
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product?

(Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)
Accept the fact you have a quality bit of kit, to be concerned that you no longer have 'the best' makes you sound a bit insecure?

Don't get me wrong, your not alone here, there are people buying just so they can have the percieved 'best' rather than simply appreciating that what they have is very good and that that in itself is enough.
wrkactjob is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:12 AM   #65
Adidas Addict
macrumors 65816

It's a great tablet and everything, but I can't help thinking the design of the iPad mini soooo much nicer, and you can bet your arse the next model iPad will mimic the mini's design.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:55 AM   #66
Ramchi
macrumors regular

Why hurry now!

Will wait for 6 months and get better version!
Ramchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:24 AM   #67
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fusion View Post
No IGZO no buy.

Sharp's shipping IGZO screens en masse this quarter. Why not use it to create a thinner, lighter iPad?

This is tech that was supposed to be used for iPad 3, but now hasn't even made it into iPad 4.

I don't need an overweight overheating beast to lug around. I'll wait for the next one.
My guess is that yields aren't quite where Apple wants them. CNet is right. This is a "3S." The next iPad will likely be a more significant redesign, with a thinner display, and possibly a smaller battery assuming they can get power consumption down.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:00 AM   #68
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Did everyone notice the iPad Mini has a row of 6 icons on the lower dock row? The iPhone and iPad keeps the four. Maybe we will see an update with iPad where you can optionally have 8?

Rocketman
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:07 AM   #69
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

"third-gen owners need not apply."

But I was told I should be mad that my 3rd gen is now obsolete!
Guess I'll just keep enjoying it instead.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:11 AM   #70
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

I believe the 5th gen. will follow the look and feel of the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Now that would be one gorgeous device.

I love my 3rd gen iPad and I don't intend to upgrade to the 4th. But if it looked like the mini I'd be more than tempted. The iPad mini is, for me, the second best looking device Apple has ever made, the first being the iPhone 5.
Zunjine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:15 AM   #71
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
"third-gen owners need not apply."

But I was told I should be mad that my 3rd gen is now obsolete!
Guess I'll just keep enjoying it instead.
Depends on your definition of obsolete.

I guess technology is out of date once you've left the shop I suppose.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:20 AM   #72
sananda
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
The only thing I want to know: does it still get "hot" in your hands like the 3rd gen does? First gen always pleasantly cool to the touch.
Yes, my original iPad is nicely cool to touch and I'm wondering what the new new iPad is like.

Engadget says:

In case you were wondering, yes, it still got quite warm when running through the gamut of tests. We don't consider this to be a concern by any means, but if you found the toasty nature of the third-gen iPad distasteful, you're likely to encounter the same heat here.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:25 AM   #73
Cockney Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
Over double the benchmark of the previous Gen 3 for the same price. How can that not be a sweet deal?
... it's not a sweet deal for all of us iPad 3 owners who are having this sh** rubbed in our face!

A refresh so soon is an insult to us lot
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:30 AM   #74
juannacho
macrumors regular

Interesting... Do Apple carry NOS hardware in stores for replacements?

Just imagining a scenario where a third Gen iPad gets brought in, with a 'replacement requiring' fault still under warranty once they no longer carry that model?

Or will they have 3rd Gen spares for the next 12 months in case that happens?
juannacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:32 AM   #75
crepuscular
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
... it's not a sweet deal for all of us iPad 3 owners who are having this sh** rubbed in our face!

A refresh so soon is an insult to us lot
Grow up.
crepuscular is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion