Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I am in NJ and was affected by hurricane Sandy. I lost my power Monday night around 6:30pm. By around 9:15pm, I had about 20% battery. I probably had at least 80-90% when the power went out. After that, I was texting, maybe playing a few games of Solitaire, and I tried to make a couple of calls, but they weren't going through. So in less then 3 hours, I lost aprox 60% of my battery. I went to my car and charged it up just past 50%. By the time I went to sleep, I had about 42-45% battery. That was around 12 midnight. I woke up around 7:15am and I had about 17%. The phone was just sitting for about 7 hours. 25% loss in 7 hours with no usage?

Because I had no power, my wifi and M-Cell were down. So I just had regular cell service through AT&T. I get around 2-3 bars without the M-Cell.

Even Apple agreed it was a lot of battery loss. They sent me a link for saving battery life, but my iPhone 4 was set up the same as my 5 and I did not have this issue. Yes, I leave both Wifi and Bluetooth on, but I always did on all my iPhones. I do not use an exchange email and I have my Yahoo mail set to fetch manually.

Does anyone bother to turn their Wifi or Bluetooth off when you aren't using it? Any other ideas as to this battery drain? Or is this normal? I know the new iPhone 5 uses a more powerful processor, but is that really that much of a battery hog?

Thanks

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You're probably experiencing poor coverage. Poor coverage will lead to poor battery life in just about any mobile device. Don't draw broad conclusions until Sandy-related outages are resolved.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
With poor service, your phone will be constantly trying to connect to the network to get a better connection which will lead to rapid battery drain. If these are your conditions, including no data service and only call service because of the storm, turn everything off: WiFi, Bluetooth, and Cellular Data.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
You're probably experiencing poor coverage. Poor coverage will lead to poor battery life in just about any mobile device. Don't draw broad conclusions until Sandy-related outages are resolved.

I know my coverage is horrible without my M-Cell. Plus the fact that towers were going down all over my area. I just never experienced battery drain like this. I guess no M-Cell+no Wifi+poor service from towers going down is probably what caused it.

----------

With poor service, your phone will be constantly trying to connect to the network to get a better connection which will lead to rapid battery drain. If these are your conditions, including no data service and only call service because of the storm, turn everything off: WiFi, Bluetooth, and Cellular Data.

Cellular Data is needed for texting and I was trying to text all night with not much luck. I wish I had thought to turn off the things I couldn't use. It didn't dawn on me to do that. Next time.....

mikkker007

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Queensland, Australia
I turn off wifi if I'm not going to be using it for awhile. I don't have any Bluetooth devices, but if I did I would manage it the same (turn off when not being used).

Same here.... having said that, I never had to do that before iOS6...
Power management definately buggy in iOS6..... me thinks......;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.