Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnachbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
I have a 2010 MBA running on snow leopard and want to do a clean install of Mountain Lion. I just did this for my 2011 mac mini (lion to mountain) by creating a bootable USB drive of the ML install after downloading from the app store. I followed a lot of great advice and it worked like a charm on my mini...

However my 2010 MBA will not boot from the USB stick (sandisk cruzer 16 GB) when I select the usb drive (Mac OS X Install ESD) at start up by holding down Option/Alt key and selecting it...it goes straight into trying to install and gives me an error messages saying the install failed.

This is really weird because I'm sure I did the usb drive correctly when I stick it in my mini it boots properly to the screen giving me the four choices.

Maybe my MBA is incapable of booting from a USB flash drive...I do have a CCC clone of my current snow leopard drive on a USB hard drive that boots the MBA just fine...Anybody got any advice for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.