Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shergar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
London
Okay, we've had threads bragging about our current computers, we've had threads listing collections of every Apple ever built.
Now it's time to 'fess up: what was the first computer you ever owned?
I warn you, I'm going to set the bar pretty high on this one (or low, depending on your point of view) my first computer was:

a Sinclair ZX81

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
My First was....

it...

it was...

soap... poisoning! oops, wrong forum. I thought this was movie quotes.

My First Computer, honest, was the Apple II+

It was a Christmas gift for the family (I have three brothers), but it was addressed ME!! from Santa!!:D :D

It had the "upgraded" memory to a huge 64Kb, and a floppy drive and a non-Apple green screen.

I missed it so much over the past few years that I bought 3 Apple II computers from eBay - an Apple II, Apple II+, and an Apple IIe.

Oh, the days when....

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I have been reading this forums for so long, i felt it was time to register.

Well, getting into the topic, my first computer was also a Sinclair, Z80 if I recall correctly. My first Apple computer, an Apple IIe and my first Mac A macintosh 128k in 1985.
The first comptuer that was exclusively mine was the Mac SE that we got in 1987, and that became mine after my brother got married in 1989.
My first COLOR mac was the power mac 6100... oh well, im going well beyond the topic here :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The first computer that my family purchased was wayyyyyy back in '78. It was a Toshiba T100 (woohoo) I think it had a whopping 64K of memory. I don't really remember too much, except that it took a lightening hit a few years later, but kept working.

My first Mac system (that I paid good $$ for) was a Power Computing Power Center Pro 210. I upgraded as much as I could, and used it for over 3 years before finally selling it and going with my first laptop. I sold that to get a newer one, then sold the newer one to get my TiBook (500MHz/ rev A). Somewhere in that mix, I picked up my current G4 500MHz tower.

That very first computer (back in '78) got me seriously interested in computers, and I have been with them ever since. I was introduced to the Mac at college in 88 and fell in love with them. Any real/serious work that I do, gets done on a Mac.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
commodore 64 baby!! yeah!! Twin disk drives, color monitor and Panasonic KXP-1180 dot matrix printer. (don't ask me how I remember the model number of my printer. I just do!)

-Pete:)

BiG™

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle
Commodore 64....

Commodore 64 w/color monitor and dual tape drive. Followed very shortly by a Mac Plus which eventually was upgraded to 4MB RAM and 100MB hard drive, with an internal and external floppy, plus a Imagewriter Plus. Followed fairly quickly by a Mac Cl***ic Color, then a PB 540c. Oh, then I sold that, got a almost new 7500, and have used that since, upgrading it constantly. Now also run an 8200/120, a 400Mhz G4 tower and a PB Ti 500. Fun, fun, never owned a PC!

lera

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2001
Commadore Vic 20

That was the first I was able to use in my family. (I was not yet one) and then we went to ythe Mac 128k the first one I owned personaly was a Mac Plus.

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
My first computer was a 286 Hyundai with a 40 mb of hard drive space and 512 KILObytes of RAM. I now have 1,000 times both of those specs. My mom used Macs at work, and I will now admit that I complained non-stop about buying a Mac cuz my friend down the street who had all the computer games that I was frequently copying had a PC and I thought Macs sucked, but I got a Performa 6115CD while I was in like 7th or 8th grade, and I haven't looked back since. I will also admit that a lot of my pro-mac arguments back then were a lot out of loyalty and wanting to be different and better whether they were true or not, but I now honestly believe that Apple is better to Wintel machines in enough ways that synergystically it is vastly superior.

cyberchill

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2001
Now I'm an old fart... ;-)

Hmmm....

In 1977 I had a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1, with 4KB RAM and Level 1 BASIC (by Microsoft, no less). Came with horrible graphics on a cheap B&W monitor, no lowercase, and a tape recorder. Back then it was the TRS-80 vs. Apple debate. Guess where that one went...;) My last TRS-80 died in 1985. It was a Model III with 48K RAM and 2 floppy drives.

Back in '77, if I wanted to play a game, I had to write it. That's how I learned to program.

Although I've used Macs since '84, the first Mac I bought was an SE (I waited for internal hard drive capability) in '87, replacing it in '89 with an SE/30, which I still have to this day (for the nostalgia... it needs an overhaul to boot up).

I have since owned a Quadra 700, PowerMac 8500, iMac Grape rev. C, B&W G3, and my trusty iceBook 500.

(I also have my FrankenPC, which I have upgraded piece-by-piece since 1994.)

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
Philips first

My first computer was a Philips MSX with - if I remember this correctly - cp/m as the operating system and without a monitor. You could play Pacman or space invaders on a small black&white TV via the antenna input.

The software was on small tapes.

A huge improvement was my first XT with DOS 3.x (mark Datakey) and a amber monitor. Later I got windows 3.1, but then .... I met Apple

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Another fart

Even though I was the first kid in my street to have a computer AT HOME, I also had to suffer the "TRaSh-80" abuse from Mac owners at my school in the 'seventies. The Model I was like a really, really crude version of the original iMac -- if you don't believe me look here: http://www.kjsl.com/trs80/index.html(actually it's more like the Graphite iMac - TRS-80s were Battleship Grey, but the paint chipped off enough to see a more attractive translucent grey plastic underneath). I remember typing ">LOAD MIDWAY" and watching the blinking asterisks in the corner of the screen flash, praying that somehow the info on the c***ette tape would make it into the great hulk's 4K of memory. It sometimes did...

And all those 'amazing' games you could write. Every program beginning ">10 CLS". But I'm sure none of the sophisticates here will care about any of this.

(Still have a 48k Model III that boots -- with my own splash screen)... Stop it!

My first computer

My first computer at OUR house was an Apple SE which we borrowed for summer e-mail on First Cl***.
Then OUR first Purchased computer was a Performa 6300 CD with an 800MB HD, 100mhz, and 16MB installed.;) After 6 years and thr moniter going cat eyed, I persuaded my parents to buy me an iMac, It is such a big imporvement 700mhz Snow, 512MB and 60GB hardrive. I still Have my performa sitting next to it. Of course when I first had the Performa it was the best in the world, It could play warcraft 2 and that was all that mattered! Now I can play Diablo 2, Starcraft(Which I used on the Performa) and any other game I want. Its hard to believe that Diablo 2 would take up all of my old computers memory.

Peace out!

Meyrick

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
Just had to check

is it this board of some other force that is preventing posts showing words like

cl***ic
c***ette
cl***

... very annoying.

[OK I previewed the message and I see that it's the board, so I gues I can't say p***, br***, l***, and certainly not *** (as in donkey).

To keep it on topic, my first computer was an Amiga.

Urs

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Atari baby!

My first big love was an Atari 520ST. 520MB of ram, double side flopy drive, 256 color monitor, internal rom OS, mono sound, one midi in port and one midi out, serial port (for printer, etc). And I guess that was it. 15" monitor.... and 2 botton mouse. The best games ever. The killer aplicatiuon was DegasElite, the grand father of Photoshop.

That was in 1995 i guess, PC's had monocrome screens (black and green) and the Apple IIC was the big thing at that time. I had 236 colors already. Then the Atari 1040ST came out with internal flopy drive and stereo sound, a year later the first Macintosh came out, the good thing was that the word processing software works perfectly with the printer and the graphics were very good and loyal at the time to print, when in PC I had to used a 5 leter combination to used the accents in spanis lenguage like "camión" (truck).

Any way, I miss my Atari :(

zuffen

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2001
In 1979 or 80 my dad was talking about buying a computer for us kids, I started shopping and was looking at the Tandy stuff, at 3k it seemed way overpriced...My dad had this really neats casio calculator/watch/very early pda, it was about one inch wide and 3/8 thick and 4 inches long with a flip up door and a small keyboard. I think he said it cost like 300. I can remember his Texas instrument calculator that us kids couldn't touch because it cost like 150 at the time and this was in the mid 70's.

I still have a slide rule, in case we get hit by a meteor or something

In junior high, the father of a buddy of mine was a programmer and he spent like 10 k on his setup and was working from home.

Another friend got a timex/?sinclair....little all in one keyboard , hook it up to a tape player and a tv.

And when I was in high school we got some Commodore 64s, first time for the entire school. Learned along with the teacher how to program.

I saw and used the first Apple in summer 86 , can't recall the model but it was color and vertical all in one with a floppy under the monitor.

I played with the paint program all the time. It was cool but if I knew now......

Then came college and they had Apple IIs and old 286 and 386.

Learned Basic and Pascal, don't ask me I don't remember any of it.

Been a long succession of crappy pc's until about 3 years ago when I started work for a dept with MACs, bought my first one 2 1/2 years ago I think, G3 400 scsi. Love it still.

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Im a youngin

The first computer I ever used was an Apple ][ but the first computer my family owned was an LCII. The first computer I ever personally owned was an iMac Rev B... Ahhhh.. memories

PUSH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Re: My First Computer....

Originally posted by shergar
Okay, we've had threads bragging about our current computers, we've had threads listing collections of every Apple ever built.
Now it's time to 'fess up: what was the first computer you ever owned?
I warn you, I'm going to set the bar pretty high on this one (or low, depending on your point of view) my first computer was:

a Sinclair ZX81

I also owned a Sinclair ZX81 but with.....

A 15K Ram extension pack!! Hurrah
we got it from swapping a portable tv.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
my first.....computer that is....

Motorola Starmax 3000/160

came stock with:
PowerPC 603e @ 160 mhz, 128k cache, 32 MB RAM, 1 MB VRAM, 28k modem
15" Sony Trinitron

it finished off upgraded with:
Sonnet Crescendo L2 G3 upgrade (300 mhz w/1MB cache), 160 MB RAM, ixmicro 8 MB video card in PCI, ethernet, 56k modem

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
the first computer i used was my dad's computer which was an apple IIe and an apple II+, both bought new and seemed state of the art at the time

but the first computer i bought for myself was a 1996 powercomputing powertowerpro 180mhz with 64 mg ram, 2 gb hard drive, 2 mb vram, and a 15" inch sony monitor

during the big gap of time in between, i used other computers provided by schools and libraries

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.