Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
EbookReader
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Asus says Nexus 7 sales are close to 1 million per month

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-says-n...onth-31254997/

Quote:
Asus CFO David Chang told the Wall Street Journal that in the beginning about 500,000 units were sold each month.

Chang then continued stating that the number increased to in the area of 600,000 to 700,000 units per month and last month sales figures were close to 1 million units.
Look like the Ipad Mini will have decent competition from Google.
EbookReader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:00 AM   #2
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Is that sales as in a consumer buying it or is sales as in a shop ordering it wholesale?

Apple devices have always had decent competition for the last few years however Apple products still sell better and make more profit.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:05 AM   #3
EbookReader
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Is that sales as in a consumer buying it or is sales as in a shop ordering it wholesale?
No idea.

He used the word "sold" but it could be "sold" to retailers instead of the consumers.

However, judging from the upward trend (500,000 to 600,000 to 700,000 to close to 1,000,000), it seems they are selling and shipping more.

Asus reported much higher net profits for last quarter due to tablets.

Quote:
The Taiwanese firm reported its largest quarterly profit in more than four years, spurred by its partnership with Google on the Nexus 7 and the enduring popularity of its own-brand snap-on keyboard fondletops.

While other PC-makers have suffered as their too-little-too-late attempts at tablets failed to spark consumer interest, Asus was quick to leap into mobile devices, and its consistent marketing of detachable keyboards have carved a decent niche for it in the fondleslab market.

The tablet share of its revenues has jumped to 16 per cent from 7 per cent last quarter, helping the firm bank 6.71bn Taiwanese dollars ($229.1m) in net profit, up 43 per cent from the same quarter last year.

Ipad Mini main competitor will be 16GB Nexus 7 at $199 and 16GB Kindle Fire HD at $199. It looks like the tablet market might turn into the PC/Mac market.
EbookReader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:05 AM   #4
monaarts
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookReader View Post
http://www.slashgear.com/asus-says-n...onth-31254997/



Look like the Ipad Mini will have decent competition from Google.
Even if they were selling 1 million a month, they would have only sold about 30 million products where Apple sold over 100 millions.
__________________
27" 2011 iMac | iPhone 5S | iPad mini LTE | 2 x TV 3
monaarts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I know the iPad Mini will be a huge hit (Ive ordered two), but I wonder how many people held off on the Nexus 7 specifically to see what Apple comes out with. Especially after the latest storage bump for the Nexus 7 ($199 16GB/$249 32GB) then its hard not to get one as an impulse buy. Im considering it simply because it has a built in GPS and downloadable Google maps.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:43 AM   #6
d123
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
OP omitted to quote the more relevant part to most MacR readers.

Quote:
Chang then continued stating that the number increased to in the area of 600,000 to 700,000 units per month and last month sales figures were close to 1 million units. Previous sales estimates indicated Q3 sales in the area of 800,000 to 1,000,000 units based on an analysis of Google’s revenue figures.

One reason Asus and Google aren’t bragging about the sales numbers for the Nexus 7 could be that compared to the iPad, sales are not that great.

Apple sold 14 million iPads in Q3 out of 25 million tablets sold globally
.
d123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Not to nitpick, but it says last month sales were close to 1m. Before that they were in the 500k-700k range.

That doesn't equate to 1m per month.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:11 AM   #8
EbookReader
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
One reason Asus and Google aren’t bragging about the sales numbers for the Nexus 7 could be that compared to the iPad, sales are not that great.

Apple sold 14 million iPads in Q3 out of 25 million tablets sold globally.
Apple: 14 million Ipads in Q3
every else: 11 millions in Q3

Of this 11 millions, Google Nexus 7 might have around 3 millions.


Google: 3 millions in Q3
Apple: 14 millions in Q3

Apple wins by a large margin but a few months ago, there was no such thing as a Nexus 7. So Google isn't doing that badly.
EbookReader is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:17 AM   #9
VFC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE PA.
That's pretty good considering Apple won't let the biggest retail store chain in the US (Best Buy with > 1,100 stores) sell the Nexus 7.

Imagine how high the Nexus 7 sales figures would be with Best Buy selling them.
VFC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
EbookReader
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
This was before the Nexus 7 $50 price drop.

Now: 16GB Nexus 7 is at $199 (compare to $249 before).

So expect Google to sell a lot more, especially during the Christmas shopping season. I think Google is very happy with the result so far.
EbookReader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:42 AM   #11
steve dave
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
That's pretty good considering Apple won't let the biggest retail store chain in the US (Best Buy with > 1,100 stores) sell the Nexus 7.

Imagine how high the Nexus 7 sales figures would be with Best Buy selling them.
Uh, the biggest retail chain in the US is Walmart and they sell them.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
VFC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dave View Post
Uh, the biggest retail chain in the US is Walmart and they sell them.
People primarily shop at BB for computer/electronics gear. Walmart is not even on my radar screen when I purchase electronics gear; even though the local Walmart is the closest store to me.

Luckily one of the 18 Micro Center stores in the US is relatively close to me. After I found out about the Apple-Best Buy "conspiracy" against Google, I no longer buy my computer/laptop stuff at Best Buy. I like the Win 8 Lenovo Yoga convertible tablet currently available at BB, but I am waiting for stock to show up at Micro Center.

BTW - I purchased two N7s at Micro Center.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:03 PM   #13
EbookReader
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Not to nitpick, but it says last month sales were close to 1m. Before that they were in the 500k-700k range.

That doesn't equate to 1m per month.
nobody say it is 1m per month, even the title says "close to 1 mil per month"

With November and December busy shopping season and the recent $50 price drop, 1 mil per month is a certainty now (at least for Nov, Dec). January will see a big drop.
EbookReader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaarts View Post
Even if they were selling 1 million a month, they would have only sold about 30 million products where Apple sold over 100 millions.
Nexus 7 was released in mid July. 3.5 month head start over the iPad mini. Estimate 3 million units sold since release. That is a lot of ground to make up for the iPad mini. I'm not saying Apple can't do it. But they are playing catch up this time.

Btw, Apple still hasn't sold 100 millions iPad minis. We need to wait and see what the numbers look like after a few months.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
Nexus 7 was released in mid July. 3.5 month head start over the iPad mini. Estimate 3 million units sold since release. That is a lot of ground to make up for the iPad mini. I'm not saying Apple can't do it. But they are playing catch up this time.

Btw, Apple still hasn't sold 100 millions iPad minis. We need to wait and see what the numbers look like after a few months.


Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
OP omitted to quote the more relevant part to most MacR readers.

Google selling 3 million 7in tablet units in q3, Apple selling 0 units until later this week. Not sure what the big surprise is. Are we really comparing a 7in tablet against the rest of the Apple iPad line? A more fair comparison is the iPad mini when we get some sale numbers.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a
 
Buckeyestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Don't be surprised if those Nexus 7 numbers start slipping once the mini hits stores.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:20 PM   #16
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
That's pretty good considering Apple won't let the biggest retail store chain in the US (Best Buy with > 1,100 stores) sell the Nexus 7.
I thought that honor of largest retail store chain goes to Walmart? They have close to 4,000 stores. They also carry both Nexus 7 and iPads.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #17
VFC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
I thought that honor of largest retail store chain goes to Walmart? They have close to 4,000 stores. They also carry both Nexus 7 and iPads.
I should have said largest Electronics retail chain.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
I know the iPad Mini will be a huge hit (Ive ordered two), but I wonder how many people held off on the Nexus 7 specifically to see what Apple comes out with. Especially after the latest storage bump for the Nexus 7 ($199 16GB/$249 32GB) then its hard not to get one as an impulse buy. Im considering it simply because it has a built in GPS and downloadable Google maps.
I agree with what you say above, urkel.

At $199 for 16GB and built-in GPS it really is almost an impulse buy.

As I've stated in other threads, I plan on eventually buying an iPad mini at some point, most likely after the Holiday Season.

But at $199, that Google Nexus 7 is hard to resist.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:59 PM   #19
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
This source estimates the Nexus 7 at 4 million units total and the Amazon tablet at 7.4 million.


What is more interesting, WitsView (who makes the iPad mini screen) has hit some delays so the target units was changed from 8.5 million to 6 million. So not sure if that means the rest of this year?


http://electronicsfeed.com/news/3195
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Sales figures aside, the N7 is pretty sweet tablet, not as polished as ios, but it's not far behind. It's well priced too
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:24 PM   #21
steve dave
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
Sales figures aside, the N7 is pretty sweet tablet, not as polished as ios, but it's not far behind. It's well priced too
There's an original take
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:56 PM   #22
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
Sales figures aside, the N7 is pretty sweet tablet, not as polished as ios, but it's not far behind. It's well priced too
I have an N7 and an iPad Retina. In some ways (hardware) it isn't as polished as the iPad, but some of the software is more polished than iPad.

The hardware difference isn't a surprise, since Apple is a hardware company and needs to make money on the hardware. That is also the reason for the premium pricing. Amazon and Google are commoditizing the hardware in order to get users into their app and content stores. That is where they make their money.

I like the concept of the customizable home pages and app widgets in Jelly Bean that let you create a dashboard on the home screen. It really helps the navigation flow as you are using the device and makes it seem like all the apps are connected. In comparison, iOS is just a collection of separate apps, and you mostly have to open each app to get your info.

It would be really cool if Apple would provide the ability to designate a 'home app' in the settings, which would fuel a slew of launcher apps that can tie into content from different apps and websites.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:33 PM   #23
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookReader View Post
Google: 3 millions in Q3
Apple: 14 millions in Q3

Apple wins by a large margin but a few months ago, there was no such thing as a Nexus 7. So Google isn't doing that badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
Nexus 7 was released in mid July. 3.5 month head start over the iPad mini. Estimate 3 million units sold since release. That is a lot of ground to make up for the iPad mini. I'm not saying Apple can't do it. But they are playing catch up this time.

Btw, Apple still hasn't sold 100 millions iPad minis. We need to wait and see what the numbers look like after a few months.

Google selling 3 million 7in tablet units in q3, Apple selling 0 units until later this week. Not sure what the big surprise is. Are we really comparing a 7in tablet against the rest of the Apple iPad line? A more fair comparison is the iPad mini when we get some sale numbers.
Asus's numbers imply less than 2 million Nexus 7s sold in Q3. Closer to 1.5 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
This source estimates the Nexus 7 at 4 million units total and the Amazon tablet at 7.4 million.
Through the end of 2012.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:40 PM   #24
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Asus's numbers imply less than 2 million Nexus 7s sold in Q3. Closer to 1.5 million.

No it doesn't. N7 has been on sale for 3.5 months. Going on a minimum of 500,000/month it would be ~2 million units. However they are selling close to 1 million units. Close to 1 million units/month means 600,000< x < 1,000,000.

I would say they have definitely sold more than just close to 1.5 million.

Quote:
Asus CFO David Chang told the Wall Street Journal that in the beginning about 500,000 units were sold each month.

Chang then continued stating that the number increased to in the area of 600,000 to 700,000 units per month and last month sales figures were close to 1 million units.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:45 PM   #25
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dave View Post
There's an original take
Well I don't want to start a whole iOS vs android debate, I'll leave he retard debate for the retards.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumor: Motorola Nexus 6, Asus Nexus 8 and HTC Nexus 10 kenypowa Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 4 Feb 10, 2014 04:57 AM
tablets: Sell Nexus 10 to buy new Asus Transformer Pad Infinity? Sensamic Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 6 Jun 4, 2013 09:09 PM
LG is accelerating Nexus 4 production to 1 million per month? EbookReader Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 8 Jan 20, 2013 03:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC