Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?
7" tablet 165 72.37%
10" tablet 63 27.63%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1
EbookReader
macrumors 65816

Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?

Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?

Right now, 10" tablets are much more common but will this be true in 5-8 years time?
EbookReader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:25 AM   #2
i0Nic
macrumors 65816

Mini will outsell the 10" iPad by far.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
sparks9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0Nic View Post
Mini will outsell the 10" iPad by far.
Yes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

I concur. The mini will end up being the most popular. It plays out the same for all of Apples products except for maybe desktops.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

7"....a 10" is no more portable than a macbook air
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:04 AM   #6
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Reminds me a lot of the iPod phases. If that's any sign, the mini will take over, and Apple will make more colors. It's cheaper and more portable. Specs are not the end all like everyone seems to think. Look at the Air, which killed the Macbook. Look at the iPod mini, and then the Nano, pretty much took over their respective product line. All "sub-par" in terms of specs, but the pricing, and the aesthetics "miniaturization" just has more mass appeal.
SamIchi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:06 AM   #7
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
7"....a 10" is no more portable than a macbook air
This guy gets it. I have claimed for some time that my 11" MacBook Air has made my ipad irrelevant. Most of the time I used my ipad just because I felt obligated since I spent much on it.
steve dave is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Whatever is cheaper.
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Boob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Whatever is cheaper.
This

If the Mini was priced the same as the larger iPad, the larger one would easily sell more. It's still very portable.
Boob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
jdag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob View Post
This

If the Mini was priced the same as the larger iPad, the larger one would easily sell more. It's still very portable.
Exactly...I am guessing that, like me, many of the people that frequent this board are asked by friends and family for tech advise. Especially with the holiday season approaching.

If I had a nickel for every time an aunt or uncle asked me "what's the best possible laptop I can get?" I would have about $0.10.

If I had a nickel for every time an aunt or uncle asked me "what's the least expensive possible laptop I can get?" I would have $1,000.

To many people (note: not to all people), the specs that are thrown around are complete and utter nonsense. WiFi range/speed, retina, weight, size, blah blah blah.

My mom/aunt/uncle/etc..."I can get an Apple iPad for $329 or $499? I'll take the less expensive one."
jdag is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 AM   #11
M87
macrumors 65816

Mini. I had a Nexus 7 for a while and I loved the smaller size, made me want to carry it around and use it more. The only real trade-off is the lack of retina and I don't think that outweighs the benefits. The lower price will help too I'm sure.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:27 AM   #12
ixodes
macrumors 601

The one that the most people buy.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:01 AM   #13
BigDukeSix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dave View Post
This guy gets it. I have claimed for some time that my 11" MacBook Air has made my ipad irrelevant. Most of the time I used my ipad just because I felt obligated since I spent much on it.
I suspect if I had an 11' MBA, I would feel the same. A full on computer in a very nice, compact and light form factor.
BigDukeSix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yep. My iPad is gathering a lot of dust now for that very reason. The flexibility I have with my MBA beats the iPad hands down. An iPad mini, on the other hand, is a completely different story. It could potentially double as my e-reader and portable media device. Light enough that I don't think twice about throwing it into my briefcase. Not so with the big iPad.
Infinitewisdom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the size will make as much of a difference as the price. It's the lowest entry point price for an iPad and that will be attractive to a great number of people.

Personally, price isn't the issue for me. I just love the size and weight of the mini.
Buckeyestar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Techwriter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitewisdom View Post
Yep. My iPad is gathering a lot of dust now for that very reason. The flexibility I have with my MBA beats the iPad hands down. An iPad mini, on the other hand, is a completely different story. It could potentially double as my e-reader and portable media device. Light enough that I don't think twice about throwing it into my briefcase. Not so with the big iPad.
Double Yep. I sold my dusty iPad and returned to my incredible MBA. I'm expecting my iPad Mini Friday for the same reasons you gave.
Techwriter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:31 PM   #17
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular

Neither.

8" (or 7.9") will rule.
MacAgnostic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:43 PM   #18
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAgnostic View Post
Neither.

8" (or 7.9") will rule.

We truncate, not round.
ericrwalker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:55 PM   #19
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
We truncate, not round.
Hmm I didn't know 9.7 truncated to 10

Still not voting.
MacAgnostic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:57 PM   #20
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAgnostic View Post
Hmm I didn't know 9.7 truncated to 10

Still not voting.
No that one is rounded, we round the big one, truncate the small one. You didn't get the memo?
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:59 PM   #21
nfl46
macrumors 601

Definitely the mini!

Walk into an Apple store, mom sees iPad for $329, then looks to left, sees other iPad for $499. 9/10 she is going to chose the $329.

Also, OP, if you are rounding, it should be 7.9" (8") and 9.7 (10"). Lol.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:05 PM   #22
token787
macrumors regular

I have a 7" tablet and its great for reading, but for school and business I would love the larger iPad. I guess it depends on the use for it, so my vote is 9.7=10.
token787 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:30 PM   #23
DJTaurus
macrumors 6502a

Ι use my ipad for watching lots of videos/movies... ipad 4 is no brainier to me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi View Post
Reminds me a lot of the iPod phases. If that's any sign, the mini will take over, and Apple will make more colors. It's cheaper and more portable. Specs are not the end all like everyone seems to think. Look at the Air, which killed the Macbook. Look at the iPod mini, and then the Nano, pretty much took over their respective product line. All "sub-par" in terms of specs, but the pricing, and the aesthetics "miniaturization" just has more mass appeal.
It wont kill for sure lighter and thinner ipad 5 with igzo display
DJTaurus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:35 PM   #24
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I used to think so, but the iPad 3 has made me use the iPad for most things and the MBA only for development.

It used to be that the iPad was barely good enough to surf the web.

Now, with the wealth of apps on the iPad, its a better experience than in a browser on a PC. Weather? On a PC, go to some website, click on a map link, get a small map, very hard to move around and zoom in the map.

iPad, hit the home button, tap some weather app, map, almost immediately get a big view, intuitive and easy to pan around and zoom into a location.

Other apps are much better than the website equivalent. Zillow, realtor apps great, fast, easy to use. Much better than website. CNN, CNBC, financial sites, much better, faster, interesting information at your finger tips on an iPad vs. a website.

Surfing on a PC seems very limiting now. I wonder if they'll ever create Mac apps that are as functional as the many weather, finance, etc. apps. Seems that they just point to a website and give up.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:05 PM   #25
seajewel
macrumors 6502

10 inch is better for work, especially reading work PDFs. also better for watching movies. but the 8 inch is smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, more portable. I'd say that the large share of the market will go for the cheaper, more portable device.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad