Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1
cameljockey
macrumors member

iPhone 5 not recognized as device under My Computer

iTunes recognized it but nowhere to be seen as a portable device on My Computer.

I tried deleting everything and reinstalling but it still does not show up. Only shows up in iTunes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
cameljockey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:56 PM   #2
FoxFifth
macrumors 6502

It has been awhile since I connected my iPhone to Windows but if I remember correctly, it will only show up as a connected device (outside of iTunes) if there is one or more pictures in the Camera Roll. That is because the only thing you can do with it as a connected device is to move a picture from the Camera Roll to the computer.
FoxFifth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
cameljockey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFifth View Post
It has been awhile since I connected my iPhone to Windows but if I remember correctly, it will only show up as a connected device (outside of iTunes) if there is one or more pictures in the Camera Roll. That is because the only thing you can do with it as a connected device is to move a picture from the Camera Roll to the computer.
I have more than 50 pictures in my Camera Roll.
It worked the first time I plugged it in but nothing shows up now.

It still works fine on iTunes.

I haven't done anything different on my computer.
Weird.

Any other clues?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
FoxFifth
macrumors 6502

There may be something in the following that will help: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3195
FoxFifth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:16 PM   #5
cameljockey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFifth View Post
There may be something in the following that will help: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3195
I've tried it, believe me.

This is kinda getting annoying to be honest, lol. I have stuff to do but my own ego of not being able to fix this is getting in the way...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:23 AM   #6
jumperdono
macrumors newbie

I haven't done anything different on my computer.
jumperdono is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
vitaminw
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem - iPhone recognized by iTunes but not by the PC. Here's what worked for me: Make sure the phone is on, screen active, and camera roll is open before you plug it in with a USB cable. That makes the phone visible under "My Computer," as well as making it possible to select it as a device from which to import photos in Windows Photo Gallery.
vitaminw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:05 AM   #8
stanfidavid
macrumors newbie

It has been awhile since I connected my iPhone to Windows but if I remember correctly
stanfidavid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting