Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

Does anyone else use their iPad to take notes in college?

I currently have an iPad 3 with a zagg keyboard folio case, and it works fantastic. But the desks at school are so small, that it barely fits on my desk, so forget about having anything else on it.

My case is within the return window, so I plan ok retuning it and waiting for a iPad mini keyboard case to come out. There should probably eventually be one released right? Does anyone else use their iPad to take notes in class? There are at least 4 other people in my class doing this also.
Jacoblee23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoblee23 View Post
Does anyone else use their iPad to take notes in class?
Good question

Quote:
There are at least 4 other people in my class doing this also.
Seems to be lol

But in all seriousness, I don't use mine for note taking. I use mine as a way to follow lecture that compliments note taking by hand
dukebound85 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Do not bring it to Calc or Physics or any class related to those subjects.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

I am a speech language pathology major. The only class I don't use it in is Phonetics, because there are a lot of symbols. I love Pages, I just wish it had phonetic symbols lol
Jacoblee23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:29 AM   #5
leanne..
macrumors member

I use mine to take notes. I have a logitech keyboard that I use and it works great. After watching me for the past 2 months, 2 other people have gone out and gotten keyboards for their ipads.
leanne.. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:45 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I have yet to see anyone doing this in any graduate level courses I have taken over the last 2 years.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Jess77
macrumors newbie

It's my third year in grad school, and this semester I started using Notability and the Adonit Jot Pro to take notes on Powerpoints and it's been great. Before, I just took notes in Pages.
Jess77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
EthanMiller
macrumors member

I use two apps on mine to take notes - Byword (text editor) and Notes Plus (Handwriting). I use the virtual keyboard for all of my notes. I take relatively light notes in class, though, and I can type fast on the virtual keyboard. For Notes Plus, which I use in any math class, it's as fast as handwriting.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:11 PM   #9
seajay96
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I have yet to see anyone doing this in any graduate level courses I have taken over the last 2 years.
I used my iPad2 for notetaking during an 18 month graduate program in geopolitics and strategy in France and very much plan to do so with my Mini as I return to school next year for a Master's in Education.

SOOOO, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

For the OP, I generally use Notetaker HD for handwritten notes and I'm hoping this program will work as well on my Mini
seajay96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay96 View Post
SOOOO, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Perhaps you should be going back to school for reading comprehension. All I said was that I haven't seen it. No where did I say it doesn't happen.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:35 PM   #11
christophermdia
macrumors 6502

I use Evernote to take notes on my iPad in school and at work. When at work, I finish up the session and immediately send out Meeting notes for everyones review. Very helpful. I like evernote too so I could just open up my mac wherever I am and have the note available.
christophermdia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:52 PM   #12
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I'm a researcher and use my ipad all the time in conferences, courses and public lectures. I primarily use Notability and Circus Ponies Notebooks.
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:14 PM   #13
blerns3
macrumors 6502

This is one of the main reasons I was thinking about getting a mini. I never liked the size of the regular iPad but don't like the OS's of the android, Kindle, etc. tablets. I'm just worried that it's too much since I already have an iPhone 5 and a Macbook Pro. Is it even needed?
blerns3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:22 PM   #14
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

I'm in aviation so lots of people in my classes take notes on an iPad. I was a relatively "early adopter" then more and more started showing up... now it's almost a requirement at my school The GI bill will even cover iPads now for prior enlisted students and I think you can get one with financial aid at the bookstore.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:38 PM   #15
mlovergaard
macrumors regular

I just finished a MSc. in International Business Management and used the iPad every single lecture to take notes.
mlovergaard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Densi
macrumors member

Examples

Hi,

I'm going to use my mini at work to make notes in meetings. Never thought about doing this handwriting. I was thinking about getting a keyboard. After reading this thread, I tried it with some of the mentioned apps, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe I need more practice...

Could anybody show a screenshot of some notes? Are you really doing this with your finger? Or are you using a stylus?

Thanks and regards,
Daniel
Densi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:51 PM   #17
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Perhaps you should be going back to school for reading comprehension. All I said was that I haven't seen it. No where did I say it doesn't happen.
Touchy, touchy.

Nowhere did you say it didn't happen, but your statement was still irrelevant. No one cares if you have not seen it. What does that even matter?

At any rate, I actually use my iphone for note taking. I type way faster on it than my ipad or even a normal computer. I did have to explain to a couple of my professors that I am indeed paying attention and note texting or whatever.

Last edited by xkmxkmxlmx; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I currently have an iPad 3 with a zagg keyboard folio case, and it works fantastic. But the desks at school are so small, that it barely fits on my desk, so forget about having anything else on it.

My case is within the return window, so I plan ok retuning it and waiting for a iPad mini keyboard case to come out. There should probably eventually be one released right? Does anyone else use their iPad to take notes in class? There are at least 4 other people in my class doing this also.
I prefer a MacBook for taking notes, iPad for reading.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:37 PM   #19
seajay96
macrumors 6502

I took these notes at a retirement seminar using NotetakerHD (zoom mode) and a stylus

After I'm done taking notes, I usually export to Evernote in pdf format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	514
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	374068  
seajay96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:47 PM   #20
mathman
macrumors newbie

I use my iPad to take notes every single day. I'm a Ph.D. student in mathematics. I use Penultimate and an Adonit Jot Pro to take notes in each of my classes. When I'm writing complex proofs, I use Tex Touch on the iPad to write LaTeX on the fly. I find the iPad is an invaluable tool so I don't have to lug a laptop around all day.

Last edited by mathman; Oct 31, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
mathman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:56 PM   #21
eyefoniac
macrumors 6502

I'm in my 3rd year of med school and use Notability all the time for class. They just released an update today to (supposedly, haven't tried it yet) allow ppt import but up until now I have been saving them as PDFs and then annotating on them. I then upload them to Evernote and have access to my lectures wherever I go.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:29 PM   #22
makotoisle
macrumors regular

Quote:
My better half is in medical school, and he says that just about everyone has an iPad and at least 1/3 of them use the iPad to take notes. They all have a specific stylus brand they swear by and a note taking app to import powerpoint lectures that they can mark up.
makotoisle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:22 AM   #23
SouthBeachMac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotoisle View Post
My better half is in medical school, and he says that just about everyone has an iPad and at least 1/3 of them use the iPad to take notes. They all have a specific stylus brand they swear by and a note taking app to import powerpoint lectures that they can mark up.
Used my iPad (first gen!) to take notes in law school in several classes, including some note-intensive classes such as Bankruptcy. Never had an issue, although I consider myself to be a fairly good typist on the iPad. With the external keyboard cases they are selling these days, would seem even easier in my opinion. I know a computer only weighs a few pounds more, but you definitely can feel it.
SouthBeachMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:13 AM   #24
billnye97
macrumors regular

Quote:
From your signature you're all about taking things out of context too.
billnye97 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:40 AM   #25
blerns3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay96 View Post
I took these notes at a retirement seminar using NotetakerHD (zoom mode) and a stylus

After I'm done taking notes, I usually export to Evernote in pdf format.
Do you have a stylus for this? If so, where'd you get it? One of those might make my choice on whether to get an iPad or not a lot easier...

EDIT: Just looked it up, they're everywhere lol. I have no idea why I didn't think about this before.
blerns3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad