Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyvh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Is anybody able to tell me how long the 13 inch rMPB will last when at normal use, let's say 50% brightness and just doing normal stuff, like browsing on the internet? Is this really 7 hours like apple claims? Because i searched on the web and found one review from macworld.com (Link: http://www.macworld.com/article/201...imal-choice-for-lightweight-laptop-users.html )
but in this case they played a video in a continuous loop and not browsing.
I'm asking this, because i'm chosing between an Air full specced, 2.0 ghz, 256gb and 8gb ram (here: €1800,-) and the Retina 256gb (here :€2000,-) and battery time is important to me, because i'm taking it with me 3 to 5 times a week to university.

Other question:
What would you chose? The full speced Air or the 13 inch' rMBP?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is anybody able to tell me how long the 13 inch rMPB will last when at normal use, let's say 50% brightness and just doing normal stuff, like browsing on the internet? Is this really 7 hours like apple claims?
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

johnnyvh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

I looked at it, but i'm just wondering if you're just browsing (wifi on) the web, how long will a rMBP 13 inch last at a battery charge? It doens't give me an answer to that. Maybe there is someone with a rMPB 13 inch who can tell me that?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I looked at it, but i'm just wondering if you're just browsing (wifi on) the web, how long will a rMBP 13 inch last at a battery charge? It doens't give me an answer to that. Maybe there is someone with a rMPB 13 inch who can tell me that?
It depends on what all you have running, which is more than you think. There are many background processes running at all times, some of which can significantly impact battery life. It also depends on what sites you're browsing, as some sites have Flash content that places much higher demands on system resources and drains your battery faster. There is no way to accurately estimate your battery life without knowing all the factors that are involved in your particular computer.

johnnyvh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
GGJStudios thanks. Will the 4-4.5 hours differ much from an Air? Anybody knows?

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
The 13" Air and the 13" Pro both say 7 hrs battery life on the Apple website, so it would probably be the same :)

Aside from Apple's own marketing materials, the 13" MBA has the best performance/battery ratio. It's a low clock speed running only integrated graphics. So if battery is your highest priority, the 13" MBA wins hands down.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
GGJStudios thanks. Will the 4-4.5 hours differ much from an Air? Anybody knows?
Compare the specs online. That's your best bet short of testing the two with what you consider to be "normal stuff" (which is meaningless despite how often people state this in battery life threads). Even if you don't get the same battery life as Apple's specs their specs give you a basis for comparison.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
to early for me to tell after only having the 13rMBP for two days- i carried it around with me after topping off the battery and im guessing it will give a the very min a solid 4+ hours of continuous full use if screen was on full and you were online and running a mail client- i keep opening and closing the lid going from work and home twice and to coffee shop once and didn't get below 78% battery- i can easily use this all day without charging- I don't have a Air so I cant compare

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Aside from Apple's own marketing materials, the 13" MBA has the best performance/battery ratio. It's a low clock speed running only integrated graphics. So if battery is your highest priority, the 13" MBA wins hands down.

I don't think that's entirely accurate . . .

Most people here, myself included, would, from what I've read, say the base 13" MBP offers generally longer battery life.

bhattsan

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I don't think that's entirely accurate . . .

Most people here, myself included, would, from what I've read, say the base 13" MBP offers generally longer battery life.

I can vouch for this. My mbp 13 mid 2010 used to get 7-8 hours consistently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.