Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:58 PM   #51
jasheeky
macrumors member

Buy SquareTrade warranty right now. Once you are insured, go to apple, pay the $229 to replace phone at genius bar. Take receipt to Squaretrade, they will reimburse you $229 - $49.99 (deductible).

In the end, it will still cost your $about 145 (95 for squaretrade, 50 deduct) but now you will have coverage for future incidents for the next 2 years with an allowance for 3 additional occurances.

you're welcome.
jasheeky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #52
hiroden
macrumors member

Sadly, I don't think you can buy Apple Care plus at this point. You have buy it as there is no damage to your phone.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4...are-for-iphone

My friend paid $220 to replace his cracked iPhone5 (he dropped it) few weeks ago. Hopefully, you will have better luck than him.
hiroden is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #53
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheeky View Post
Buy SquareTrade warranty right now. Once you are insured, go to apple, pay the $229 to replace phone at genius bar. Take receipt to Squaretrade, they will reimburse you $229 - $49.99 (deductible).

In the end, it will still cost your $about 145 (95 for squaretrade, 50 deduct) but now you will have coverage for future incidents for the next 2 years with an allowance for 3 additional occurances.

you're welcome.
Insurance fraud is always the first thing that comes up :s
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:06 PM   #54
Man on the moon
macrumors member

Ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerani View Post
If the bbb cant help me replace it, I will definitely throw a fit at an Apple store.
You think that will help you get the phone replaced?

They will just ask you to leave and never come back again.

You know exactly where it happened and you can convince yourself otherwise but it does not change the fact that you caused it.

Your phone did not decide to just crack/shatter on that morning.
Man on the moon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:15 PM   #55
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

Were you wearing skinny jeans? If you think about it, the pressure of wearing skinny jeans and walking up the stairs (maybe even running) will press hard against your leg and probably cause damage to the phone. So in reality you can blame Apple for not making an iron iPhone. The iPhone does not crack by itself. Something caused it. A phone doesn't have to hit something or fall down to actually break. There are numerous of causes.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:16 PM   #56
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
At 2 today, I put my phone in my pocket, climbed the stairs, and went to class. I took my phone back out at 2:50, and it had a completely shattered screen. No drop, no damage. Dont believe me if you dont want, but its true.
I contacted Apple- they want me to pay between 150-250. I'm a student, I cant pay that much. I filed a complaint with the BBB. Any ideas as to what I should do? The screen is shattered completely.
What to do?
eww CUT YOUR NAILS.

It doesn't look like it was dropped, or that it shattered from a specific point of impact. But like someone else said, you might have dropped it previously and it created a microscopic crack that weakened your screen.
ritmomundo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:18 PM   #57
aliciadear
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroden View Post
Sadly, I don't think you can buy Apple Care plus at this point. You have buy it as there is no damage to your phone.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4...are-for-iphone

My friend paid $220 to replace his cracked iPhone5 (he dropped it) few weeks ago. Hopefully, you will have better luck than him.
Technically this is true about not being able to buy applecare plus once it's damaged, BUT, I know for a fact that you can purchase it over the phone. I'm not saying it's the good or honest thing to do by any means, but it is possible if you're within the 30 days. I had my iphone 5 delivered last night and I hadn't ordered applecare plus for it when I placed the order because I was considering squaretrade. As soon as I got my phone (about 7pm last night) I got on the phone with apple to order it before I even took the phone all the way out of the box. I do have an apple store within 20 miles from me (though he never told me I needed to take it in to the store) but I didn't want to have to drive all the way out there on Halloween and I didn't want to mess up my phone before it was insured. Not saying that I support this, especially if you're not telling the truth about what happened, but if you are, this might be an option. It will still be $99 plus the $50 replacement but it's cheaper than $250 and if you break it again it will only be $50 for the second replacement.
aliciadear is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:25 PM   #58
isoft7
macrumors 6502a

Dude, it's just one of those shattered screen prank apps that your friend put on your phone to fool you.

Reboot bro, reboot.
isoft7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:28 PM   #59
hiroden
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciadear View Post
Technically this is true about not being able to buy applecare plus once it's damaged, BUT, I know for a fact that you can purchase it over the phone. I'm not saying it's the good or honest thing to do by any means, but it is possible if you're within the 30 days. I had my iphone 5 delivered last night and I hadn't ordered applecare plus for it when I placed the order because I was considering squaretrade. As soon as I got my phone (about 7pm last night) I got on the phone with apple to order it before I even took the phone all the way out of the box. I do have an apple store within 20 miles from me (though he never told me I needed to take it in to the store) but I didn't want to have to drive all the way out there on Halloween and I didn't want to mess up my phone before it was insured. Not saying that I support this, especially if you're not telling the truth about what happened, but if you are, this might be an option. It will still be $99 plus the $50 replacement but it's cheaper than $250 and if you break it again it will only be $50 for the second replacement.
I guess it depends on where you live? I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and there are 4 apple stores in the area. When I phone Apple to purchase Apple Care+, she told me to get it from Apple store as phone is required to be inspected for damages.
hiroden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:28 PM   #60
Quu
macrumors 68000

Looking at the chips on the aluminium band on the right of the phone I'd say the front face had some pretty hard core blunt trauma. If this was in your pocket you must have brushed in to something or put all your body weight on to the phone while pressing against a railing or wall to cause that kind of shattering effect. Whatever caused it the pressure was pretty even as there is no single point of impact it's pretty evenly spread over the whole front.

I really don't think you can blame Apple for this because they use very very tough glass and it is obvious some trauma occurred it didn't just spontaneously shatter.
Quu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:28 PM   #61
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

I think the left side of your phone got bump or you have tight pants. Cracks probably started there.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:34 PM   #62
aliciadear
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroden View Post
I guess it depends on where you live? I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and there are 4 apple stores in the area. When I phone Apple to purchase Apple Care+, she told me to get it from Apple store as phone is required to be inspected for damages.
I wonder if it also might depend on who you talk to. The guy I spoke to didn't even ask where I lived until I gave him my credit card info. I just checked and my nearest apple store is 12.5 miles away so I could have easily gone in if he told me to and there are also at least 5 more within a 30 mile radius from me. I might try again if you still want to do it over the phone (or call after store hours?). Maybe I just got lucky.
aliciadear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:36 PM   #63
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You can clearly see the chips and scrapes on the aluminum band in that pic on the top left of the phone.
It never just scracked on its own, and when Apple see's that too they will not replace it for free.
Good luck with whatever you want to do. Call the BBB, FBI, CIA etc....
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:40 PM   #64
alexander25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
people who consume more than several GB of data and are on tiered plans. $200 is stretching it..but most people pay $100+ a month for one phone line.

Thank god i have unlimited data
i have 6gb of data. $60/m

i also live in canada.
alexander25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:41 PM   #65
ccwestcliff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You can clearly see the chips and scrapes on the aluminum band in that pic on the top left of the phone.
If my eyes don't trick & treat me, I see chips and scrapes (at least two) as well. Take it to an Apple Store and they will tell you. There was a story on here a couple of weeks ago from a guy whose battery expanded and made the screen crack. However, his iPhone body looked perfect and sadly yours doesn't IMHO.
ccwestcliff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:43 PM   #66
rmerani
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheeky View Post

you're welcome.
So is it possible for me to buy Squaretrade now, and then go to the Apple store, get it replaced, file a claim with Squaretrade and get 179.99 back...???
rmerani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:54 PM   #67
MistaGavin
macrumors member

Quote:
So is it possible for me to buy Squaretrade now, and then go to the Apple store, get it replaced, file a claim with Squaretrade and get 179.99 back...???
Sure, but that's called fraud. Not very legal either.
MistaGavin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:03 PM   #68
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
Sure, but that's called fraud. Not very legal either.
Not only is it fraud, its now documented here on a public forum that is searchable from any search engine.

Squaretrade ADH which is what this would be covered under doesn't kick in for 30 days AFTER you sign up. I'm sure they do it for this very reason, to prevent fraud from people that think their entitled to a new phone after they "accidentally" broke it.

Own up to your mistake, accident or not you're not entitled to a new phone for something you caused. This isn't a manufactures defect its a user defect.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:05 PM   #69
phillyphill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Point of impact?
is that a dent on the top left and bottom left of the phone?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:08 PM   #70
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
So much for taking responsibility for your actions.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:19 PM   #71
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I didnt buy Apple care. I dropped it once maybe, before. But that caused no scratches or cracks. Since its only been 12 days since ive had the phone, can I still buy apple care, and pay 49 bucks for accidental damage?

By the way, I didnt hit my leg on the railing, or anywhere where it could have impacted. I remember because I was walking in the middle of the staircase, and my friend was by the railing........

Im telling you there was NO point of impact, no place where it legit hit anything. maybe a previous drop caused it to crack completely.
however, that doesnt change the fact that i need a new phone
If you didn't hit it against anything (I know you said no to railing but what about getting in and out of the desk? I know you can bump your thigh that way), it was probably from a previous crack that already weakened the screen so a very minor bump (that you may not remember) could cause the screen to give.

Now, as for adding Applecare+ now? I would think that would be dishonest and I wouldn't do it. Plus they may require you come into the Apple store to do it so they can look over the phone.

I'm sorry but you may be out of luck. Yes, it was an accident but it isn't Apple's fault the screen broke. Your best option is to buy the $229 replacement which is pretty generous that Apple offers that. Could you borrow money from people and pay them back?
kalexn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:27 PM   #72
VandyChem2009
Banned

Yeah you can definitely see damage on the bezel in your pictures. You definitely did something and just don't want to own up to it.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:33 PM   #73
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I dont.
All these years having an iphone I never had a screen just break on its own.
Agreed. Phones just don't spontaneously break.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:35 PM   #74
isoft7
macrumors 6502a

It is possible the screen could somehow or another come with stress fractures already present, and from that, any unusual movement brings about a complete malfunction of it's designed support.

However, it seems if this were possible, or rather, likely the reason, the screen would have shattered during transportation from China to the customers local store.
isoft7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:42 PM   #75
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoft7 View Post
It is possible the screen could somehow or another come with stress fractures already present, and from that, any unusual movement brings about a complete malfunction of it's designed support.

However, it seems if this were possible, or rather, likely the reason, the screen would have shattered during transportation from China to the customers local store.
You dont see the chips and scratches on the metal band on the pic.
I dont think those happen on their own either
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone