Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
EricByer
macrumors member

Do I need hosting? Domain-Host(?)-Tumblr?

Long time reader, first time poster.

The Long Version:

I'm in grad school (it's safe to say it's not a tech-based program ) and might need a medium through which to display a professional portfolio in a year or two. Rather than wait until that time and have to scramble to figure all this stuff out, I figured I'd start this process now and give myself sometime to play with this and hopefully develop a better understanding of the process.

I've purchased a domain and, for the time being, I'd just like my domain to display my Tumblr. Do I need hosting of any sort?

Thanks to MR, I've already purchased the domain through register.com and, if need be, I think I'll go asmallorange.com for hosting.

TL;DR Version:

I have a domain. I have a Tumblr. I'd like my domain to display my Tumblr. Do I need hosting?

EDIT:

Looks like I'm in business. My Tumblr appears to be redirecting to my domain now. Glad I didn't need hosting.

Last edited by EricByer; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
EricByer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:46 AM   #2
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Glad you answered your own question which involves using Tumblr which does not require third party web hosting.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
bronxred
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricByer View Post
EDIT: Looks like I'm in business. My Tumblr appears to be redirecting to my domain now. Glad I didn't need hosting.
I've been with Dreamhost for nine years and, while I absolutely love them, you're right that you probably don't need them. I still like their domain management and host my own email with them (Google Apps is a mess), but I use Tumblr for my personal website.

Best wishes with your portfolio!

Jake

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: removed referral link
bronxred is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development