Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
MrMephistoX
macrumors newbie

Mac w VM Ware at work or go with a Lenovo?

So I have a bit of a first world problem here. My company is "allowing" us to select new 2012 model laptops. All are core i7 with SSD's and 8 GB's of RAM. I absolutely adore my macbook at home so I was excited to try and select a Macbook Air having had a good experience with Parallels but apparently we use VM Ware.

How functional is it and do you think I'd have significant trouble using it in a divsion that is so closely aligned with Microsoft that we use some of their proprietary advertising business tools?

Other option of course is an ugly but beefy t430 thinkpad with HD +

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/la...t-series/t430/

I should also note that the company is "encouraging" us not to go with the Mac out of fear that it will cause bottlenecks but I think half of that is their lack of experience for Macs in general. 8gb's of RAM on the top of the line Macbook air shouldn't be a problem I would think.
MrMephistoX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:37 AM   #2
Siriosys
macrumors regular

Just my 2c worth

The Short Answer....
Your setup sounds very similar to mine. And with VMWare Fusion running on my MBP, I've had absolutely no problems.

The Long Answer...
FWIW, I'm running a mid-2010 C2D 2.5Ghz Macbook Pro with a 256Gb SSD and 8Gb of RAM and I use VMWare all day, every day for work. It's also my own machine which I take to work.

Although I have a number of VM's configured which on rare occasions I run a couple simultaneously, but most the time I just run the Windows 7 x64 machine. The others are a WinXP Pro and Win2k3 Server, Win2k3 SBS and a couple of Linux VM's.

I've had absolutely no problem with any Windows Apps I've thrown at it. My main desktop tools are Office 2010 Pro and Lotus Notes 8.5.3 and then a ton of security and systems administration tools.

Hope this helps a bit
1Tb Ext HD; iControl; Apogee Duet;
Siriosys is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air