Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a new page on its iTunes Store allowing users to easily donate money to the American Red Cross toward Superstorm Sandy relief efforts. The donation page, which is accessible through the desktop iTunes Store as well as the iTunes and App Store apps on iOS, permits donations at the $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 levels.

superstorm_sandy_itunes_donations.jpg
Apple will transfer 100% of each donation directly to the American Red Cross, allowing users to have their donations seamlessly billed to their existing iTunes Store accounts. With Apple currently holding over 400 million iTunes Store accounts with credit cards attached, the company has a very significant customer base that can take advantage of the donation program.

Apple has conducted several similar campaigns in the past, most recently in March 2011 following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and in January 2010 following the Haitian earthquakes.

Update: Apple has now added a link to the iTunes Store donation page on the main apple.com page.

Article Link: iTunes Store Now Accepting Donations for Superstorm Sandy Relief

Icestorm815

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Why would someone donate through Apple instead of directly to the Red Cross? I think it's nice that Apple is raising awareness, but it seems just as easy to do it directly to the Red Cross (plus then it's tax deductible).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Why would someone donate through Apple instead of directly to the Red Cross? I think it's nice that Apple is raising awareness, but it seems just as easy to do it directly to the Red Cross (plus then it's tax deductible).

iTunes store gets more eyeballs than the Red Cross site. Also Apple already has a lot of credit card details on their servers. One click is all it takes.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
Good Move!

I love it when Apple does this. If I mailed a check to the Red Cross, my name would be get on a list and they'd spend at least 1/2 of what I sent them begging for more. They still may piss away 1/2 the money on begging campaigns, but at least they won't be filling my mail box with their crap.

So Thanks Apple, for letting me donate in a secure and anonymous manner and still have confidence that the money will actually make it to the Red Cross.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
The awkward moment when Apple has billions of liquid dollars and will not donate anything. Hypocrisy at its finest.

They shouldn't have to. People are using their iPhone's to dial 000 which if they could not they would die. Apple has saved thousands of lives already.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
If I donate, I want to know where my money's going. For example, a rural family who lost their home would be great. But I wouldn't want my money going to some rich Manhattan-ite whose Porsche was flooded in their $600/month underground parking space. For that reason, I'm not donating. I'll wait for the next disaster. Sorry East Coasters!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Allowing the Red Cross seemless access to their entire customer base is pretty generous I'd say. If you or a loved one had an illness that you could not afford to get treatment for, and Apple allows you to receive donations like this from their customer base, would you say...

"no Thanks Apple, if your customers want to donate, they can come to me directly!"

No, I didn't think so either. Think before posting.

How is it generous of Apple allowing you to donate your own money? It's convenient, but not generous.

----------

still waiting to see your donation receipt...........

:rolleyes:

As if I'd post what I do here. I'm like Steve. I give secretly. You should be defending me.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Fishy. Apple gives you an iTunes receipt. You do not get to write your donation off for tax purposes. It sounds like apple is using this to write your donation off on their taxes.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
If I donate, I want to know where my money's going. For example, a rural family who lost their home would be great. But I wouldn't want my money going to some rich Manhattan-ite whose Porsche was flooded in their $600/month underground parking space. For that reason, I'm not donating. I'll wait for the next disaster. Sorry East Coasters!

Excuses, excuses.

noupf

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Fishy. Apple gives you an iTunes receipt. You do not get to write your donation off for tax purposes. It sounds like apple is using this to write your donation off on their taxes.

when you make charitable doantions you do get a reciept. you need that receipt to prove that you made the dontation in case you ever get audited by the irs.

The donation is a write off for those who donate. Apple can not write off the doantion on your behalf.

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
I'll donate. Its my duty to help those less fortunate than I. I do not rely on the government to relieve me of my responsibility to my fellow Americans and fellow man.

I appreciate Apple making it easy for me to do this.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why are you harassing people that defend Apple on a website dedicated to Apple and its products? That's about as tactful as campaigning for the Green Party presidential candidate inside the RNC or DNC headquarters.

And besides, NOBODY has mentioned anything about "X company would never do what Apple is doing here!" or anything illogical or trashing other companies. So I don't see why you have such an issue with people talking about Apple in a positive light. There are plenty of other places on the internet dedicated to being perpetually cynical towards Apple, I don't know why so many people choose MacRumors to vent their frustrations.

I'm not harassing anyone. I am merely pointing out that Apple making it easy for YOU to donate YOUR money isn't a generous act on Apple's part. They make it convenient for you. And as usual, there is a deluge of people defending Apple at all costs. If this was Google or Microsoft, they'd be considered cheap, wouldn't they?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Exactly, so why are they pretending otherwise?

Did I miss the article where they pretended otherwise? They are just letting people use their iTunes accounts for some philanthropy. It gets them good publicity, it puts the option in front of a lot of eyes, and it allows people who aren't comfortable for whatever reason entering their cardio care number in a browser. Plus it costs Apple no money beyond normal server costs. Win win win.

----------

I'm not harassing anyone. I am merely pointing out that Apple making it easy for YOU to donate YOUR money isn't a generous act on Apple's part. They make it convenient for you. And as usual, there is a deluge of people defending Apple at all costs. If this was Google or Microsoft, they'd be considered cheap, wouldn't they?

No, they wouldn't. Publicity traded corporations raised money through a public offering of shares in their company. When they do this it is implied that they will do whatever they can to give the shareholders the best possible return on investment. If the shareholders want to donate the cash they earn, that's up to them.

If anyone has a problem with this, it's not with Apple. It's with the market system.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I tried to make a donation, but it is not available in the Brazilian's iTunes Store (it says that the store of my country doesn't support donations). And, of course, Apple does not allow me to have a US account without a US credit card...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.